It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel possible, but only moving forwards, says Stephen Hawking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cams

Stephen Hawking is a paid shill for tptb. Everything that comes out of his mouth comes directly from the script that is placed before him from the evil masters that he has sold his soul to.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
nothing really new what he said

he just stated the obvious

yes, we already saw particles traveling thought time as he said on his show

to travel to the past, we would need to BE a computer system that creates multiples universes and uses old data to do that

so, I hope we cant travel back in time!!

he didnt say anything out of the ordinary ... really

good show for the ones who dont know a lot

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Haha... Last time I checked, we are all travelling into the future at the standard rate.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

TIME TRAVEL TO THE FUTURE IS ALREADY HAPPENING IN THE FREAKING NATURE

I am not saying directly to you, to everyone

JUST WATCH THE $%¨SHOW, it shows examples of particles doing it ...

if we will be able, thats another thing ...

AMAZING that people here didnt watch the show but believe they have the right to post disinformation ... (not saying to u)

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

If moving backwards through time was possible, a person could shoot their former selves

Ya so?
If you move foward in time your future self could shoot you too
what's the diff?

What is interesting though is that it seems that once we have spaceships you are always time travelling

my god!!!

man, traveling to the future means, I will watch you living your life faster, but you will experience time as normal, so, if it passes like 10 years for you, for me it would be like 20, for instance ...

the way to travel to the future, is by moving @ speed of light or close to it

other thing

time goes slower close to big masses, so, outside earth, thats why the GPS systems need to be corrected, since it runs faster outside earth

again, amazing, people didnt even care to watch, but they come and bash the guy !!

Originally posted by ROBL240
Hawking has sadly been sprouting a lot of cr-p recently, either from desperation from a fading light of publicity or the wailings of a dying man, similar to Einstein.

however to say we can't go back in time itself is flawed, look at ANY star, even our own, and your already looking back at time.

MAN, and you still got 5 FLAGS, GOD, deny ignorance?

when you look at the starts, you are seeing LIGHT traveling, thats it ...

and I repeat, there is no way to travel back in time, the only way is if we are some kind of computer system that allows that ... hawking explained a lot of his theories and good ones ... watch the show

reply to post by cams

it is not a theory, you can travel in time by moving at @ speed of light, problem is to achieve that ... there are particles in nature that can do that

reply to post by Fromabove

well, you are using just speculation and zero actually theories ... can I have a paper on it? just speculation ... everything on that documentary was based on actual science

lets say you are right, we can travel to the past, then what, then you would be able to change the future, but which future? their, your, or what? how many futures are there? how many parallel universes then, does another universe get created when you go to the past?, if you change the past you will change everything and you could kill yourself?, would that mean we all are just computers, we dont exist and we can be replicated at any time by the universe?

well, thats why nobody can speak clearly about time travel to the past, because it doesnt make sense and we dont have any time of evidence to suggest that

if you consider we live in a virtual computer world, then I think you could make your own theory, otherwise, it just dont fit

reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

yes, everything he said in based on common sense and nothing really new

reply to post by whiterabbit85

well, if you consider us being a computer system, with a huge database of all information of all time, we would be able to do that ... just spawn universes ... but that would mean that we "dont exist" ...

Originally posted by sliceNodice
Oh come on, like this is anything ground breaking. This is old news folks, almost a hundred years old actually (when Einstein proved this).

If this website wanted to headline something he said so bad from this excerpt here, they should have used the part at the end of the article - "Hawking said once spaceships were built that could fly faster than the speed of light, a day on board would be equivalent to a year on Earth."

true, good post, I had to quote it ..

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Faiol]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I had to make another post

just watch the show, a lot of people without knowledge speculating about what these quotes mean, if you didnt watch it and dont know anything about it, you will misunderstand

so, if you want to chat, please watch, in respect to denying ignorance

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

well, you are using just speculation and zero actually theories ... can I have a paper on it? just speculation ... everything on that documentary was based on actual science

lets say you are right, we can travel to the past, then what, then you would be able to change the future, but which future? their, your, or what? how many futures are there? how many parallel universes then, does another universe get created when you go to the past?, if you change the past you will change everything and you could kill yourself?, would that mean we all are just computers, we dont exist and we can be replicated at any time by the universe?

well, thats why nobody can speak clearly about time travel to the past, because it doesnt make sense and we dont have any time of evidence to suggest that

if you consider we live in a virtual computer world, then I think you could make your own theory, otherwise, it just dont fit

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Faiol]

We are not smart enough to handle time travel. Going back in time would mean going into another parallel universe, which we could not return from without the exact point of exit from the present. Changing things in the parallel past would only effect that past. yes, you could kill yourself but you wouldn't die, only the you from that universe died. So there are no paradoxes, no conflicts. And let's say that someone could finally create a time machine and go to the past. I don't think they would say anything to anyone about it for obvious reasons. I know I wouldn't. I'm not saying Hawkins was wrong, just that when it came to time travel to the past he was not right.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Fromabove]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Denying Ignorance

This is nothing new. Hawking is merely talking about a famous effect of relativity called 'time dilation', which Einstein already explained in detail more than a hundred years ago. Only someone very poorly informed about science could possibly think this is news.

According to Special Relativity, the faster you move relative to some object or person, the slower time seems to pass for you, as seen by that person (to you, however, time just seems to pass by at the normal rate).

In General Relativity, the same thing happens due to gravitational effects near massive objects, hence his comment about the black hole.

reply to post by Faiol

I know it's scandalous that anyone could think this is news, but unlike you, I'm not surprised. Most people are very, very ignorant about anything that doesn't concern their daily lives, and relativity is both esoteric and pretty difficult to understand. This kind of ignorance, and the stupid comments that come out of it, are very common - indeed, they're average.

I must admit, though, that ignorance and stupidity posing as knowledgeable authority make my right foot long to connect with someone's tight-trousered backside. Here's an example:

Originally posted by warisover
Stephen Hawking is a paid shill for tptb. Everything that comes out of his mouth comes directly from the script that is placed before him from the evil masters that he has sold his soul to.

I wonder if some people even realize what prize idiots they make of themselves with the blethering, bleating nonsense they spout.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join