It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel possible, but only moving forwards, says Stephen Hawking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Time travel possible, but only moving forwards, says Stephen Hawking

www.news.com .au

FAMED astrophysicist Stephen Hawking believes humans are capable of time travel.

Claiming he is not as concerned about being labelled crazy as he once was, Hawking has publicly aired his second startling theory in two weeks, after last week claiming it was "entirely reasonable" to assume aliens existed.

Preparing for the debut of his Discovery documentary, Stephen Hawking's Universe, which screens next week, Hawking said he believed humans could travel millions of years into the future and repopulate their devastated planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So now Stephen Hawkins is saying that time travel is possible.

What sort of energy system would be required to power this vehicle?

Surely a conventional system of fuel would be completely out of the question, especially if the craft was to travel at speeds approaching and going beyond the speed of light.

Perhaps he's been looking into the ether of space or stumbled across the 'anti-gravity' space craft at the US patent office?

Space vehicle propelled by the pressure of inflationary vacuum state
patft.uspto.gov...,960,975& OS=6,960,975&RS=6,960,975

I guess very few of us will actually be around to ever know though.

It is still an interesting theory put forward by Hawking nevertheless

www.news.com .au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well, I suppose it is possible. Isn't there something about the theory of relativity stating that even if we exceeded the speed of light, went to let's say Pluto and back, that X number of Earth years would have passed almost instantaneously? Just wondering. I'm not too up on my scientific knowledge. I'm an artsy-fartsy type of person.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
if you'd acyially watched the program, he said that a big arsed rocket with a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE gas tank would be required and the craft would need to accelerate for 6 years to get to .99c. he also stated that if a ship were to get close enough to a black hole, but still on this side of the event horizon, you could let the time dilation do that work for you

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cams

It's gonna be powered by steam. Through a complex and totally scientific method of breaking down water into a vapour form. Real high-tech stuff and whatnot.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I can't have any trust in a show in which the prime subject is time travel but there's no mention whatsoever to parallel universes or string theory....

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Hawking has sadly been sprouting a lot of cr-p recently, either from desperation from a fading light of publicity or the wailings of a dying man, similar to Einstein.

however to say we can't go back in time itself is flawed, look at ANY star, even our own, and your already looking back at time.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking is not the final source of all knowledge. Time travel is possible both ways. Once you go past the speed of light, you go backwards in time. So you either have to move through space faster than light or you have to moves space around you faster than the speed of light (black hole encounter). One day you will be able to travel into the future via a device that moves space around you at light speed (using light), and shortly after that, also travel to the past using a singularity device. And you could be standing at one place. However, when you do, you will immediately enter a complete parallel universe almost exactly like the one you know, except it won't be yours, and nothing you do there can effect the one you left.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Fromabove]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
however to say we can't go back in time itself is flawed, look at ANY star, even our own, and your already looking back at time.

Well you are looking back at time but only because the image has been delayed. Time hasn't changed at either the originating or receiving ends.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Hawking has sadly been sprouting a lot of cr-p recently, either from desperation from a fading light of publicity or the wailings of a dying man, similar to Einstein.

oh the irony. Yes you are looking at stars at an earlier time but that's because the light takes so long to reach us. This has nothing to do with travelling back through time. And how has Hawking been spouting a lot of cr-p lately? He recently said that there probably is intelligent life out there but it might be best that we don't try to contact them, which seems like common sense to me. And who am I to disagree with one of the greatest minds of all time who says that time travel is possible?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys
And who am I to disagree with one of the greatest minds of all time who says that time travel is possible?

It probably is, but I don't think we, as civilization, will live long enough to achieve this.

I think the end is much sooner than some people think.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

If moving backwards through time was possible, a person could shoot their former selves

Ya so?
If you move foward in time your future self could shoot you too
what's the diff?

What is interesting though is that it seems that once we have spaceships you are always time travelling

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

If moving backwards through time was possible, a person could shoot their former selves

Ya so?
If you move foward in time your future self could shoot you too
what's the diff?

Only travelling back through time causes a time travel paradox. Moving forward is entirely possible. Some already existing species "travel to future" naturally through hibernation, from mammals and insects to microbes. There are micro organisms that have been hibernated for millions of years. So, imagine waking up one day finding out you're million years old.

Now what Hawking suggests is a vehicle which instantly takes away N number of years away from you by travelling faster than speed of light. This theory is as far as I know actually very old (probably even from 60's). That said, there is no "future self" or parallel universe paradoxes, it simply involves a fast-forward of time with you being unaffected by it I suppose.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If you think about it logically, time travelling into the past is impossible, as if it were possible, we would already know about time travel. I don't buy into every option or every choice/time jump you make spawning a new universe, it's just ignorant to believe that human beings have that kind of power or influence over the cosmos.

Time travel into the future however, I can see being possible at some point, however again what constitutes "past" and "future" then becomes vague, because time is really nothing but a man-conceived abstract idea, and is pretty much completely based upon the observer.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Oh come on, like this is anything ground breaking. This is old news folks, almost a hundred years old actually (when Einstein proved this).

If this website wanted to headline something he said so bad from this excerpt here, they should have used the part at the end of the article - "Hawking said once spaceships were built that could fly faster than the speed of light, a day on board would be equivalent to a year on Earth."

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Well you are looking back at time but only because the image has been delayed. Time hasn't changed at either the originating or receiving ends.

That doesn't make sense. So if we look at a Star in Andromeda, were not looking at it from 2500000 light-years ago, but in the present time? We may not be able to visit there but on a observational basis it's still a form of Time-Travel, looking at the past.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cams

Stephen Hawking is arguably one of the greates minds of our time.
if he said this, he has a good reason for it.
Hope he can elaborate more on the subject as just and arbitrary figure of millions of years is rather vague.

Cheers

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I believe its Disinformation, if people stop asking question's then they'll never know about the experiments going on at CERN and certain other sites around the world.

It wasn't too long ago that Scientists were trying to recreate atomic time-travel using Magnetism and protons, yet days before the results of this experiment the whole project was unexplainably given a Black-Ops status. Stripped from all public knowledge (including a Horizon Documentary focusing on Time-travel theory) and very few remember about it.
Did they find something, or harnessed the power of Time Travel they want to keep secretive?

DejaVu, Time-Blips, Power-Surges, Doppelgangers all of which have been recorded and as yet unidentified.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hawking seems to be on a role, and besides wasn't this theory pronounced with another person? Sorry the name escapes me but I know it was here on ATS
. The person stated that as soon as the "switch" for the machine was turned on that was as far back as one could go. Then again this is just one idea out of many and there are a wide array of theories out there.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Na i think you can go backwards as well. Hawkins is clever but i also think he is wrong on big bang.

Thats teh beauty of the net we can all have views.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join