It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism In America and Why It's Bad For Us

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by difsjf

Yeah, we've got it real tough - those illegals are coming and stealing all of our FARM WORK boo hoo.

Somehow I bet you wouldnt feel that way if you were an American farmworker or you were an unemployed American who cant get a job at that farm because some ILLEGAL immigrant was getting paid half of what was legal under the table.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
OP -

I respectfully disagree with your post.

Please note - I am not saying that racism does not exist, it does, but to claim that illegal immigrants = Hispanics or Mexicans is untrue. I don't think the majority of people against illegal immigration think that all illegal immigrants are Mexican.

Here are some of the statistics from AZ - taken from the Center of Immigration Studies @ www.cis.org...

7 # In 2007, the Center for Immigration Studies estimated that 12 percent of workers in Arizona are illegal immigrants.

8 # In 2007, the Center estimated that illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born children (under 18) comprise one-fifth of those in the state living in poverty, one-third of those without health insurance, and one out of six students in the state’s schools.

9 # In 2007, the Center estimated that one-third of households headed by illegal immigrants in Arizona used at least one major welfare program, primarily food-assistance programs or Medicaid. Benefits were typically received on behalf of U.S.-born children.

10 # The new law (SB 1070) is extremely popular among Arizona voters. A Rasmussen poll found that 70 percent of voters approve of the new bill, and just 23 percent oppose it.11

Please note there is no anti-Mexican, anti-Hispanic wording or implications.

According to Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, in 2005, 57% of illegal immigrants were from Mexico; 24% were from other Latin American countries, primarily from Central America;[3] 9% were from Asia; 6% were from Europe; and 4% were from the rest of the world.[3]

Based on the statistics quoted by Wikipedia 81% of all illegal aliens in the US in 2008 were of Latin origin. This means that 81% of all illegal aliens found by the authorities will be of Latin decent. This is not racism it is math. If the numbers were different, for example, 80% Asian illegal aliens, then the majority of illegal aliens found by the authorities would be Asian. Again it is not racist...it is math. It still works if 80% of illegal aliens were of European decent. The majority of illegal aliens found by authorities would be European. Once again I see not racism here, just statistics.

Again I would like to say there are those in the US who are racist. It is a problem, one that will hopefully improve with every generation. However, being against illegal immigration does not equate to being racist.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Wolftotem]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Its not racist to only accept "legal" imigrants.
Maybe you should see how other countries treat theirs before bagging the US.
I know in Malaysia (a muslim country) that its automatic 3 strokes of the ratten then instant deportation and thats for men, women or children.

I'm in OZ and here we have the same crowd screaming to let the illegals (that arrive in leaking boats) stay. What they don't understand is that Australia has a quoata for refugees and every one that arrives illegaly means that one that did all the right things in proving their needs is denied.
Now that is just not fair.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Umm this is ridiculous, I know many latinos or various nationalities, what I find hilarious is that mexicans feel the way we do about the illegal guatemalan immigrants, the guatemalans feel that way about their illegal immigrants, the argentinians, columbians, bolivians, etc etc etc... I have no problem with people who immigrate legally.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join