It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think the most appalling aspect of this thread are the people that agree with the fact that he was arrested.

I don't care what you think of what he said. The fact he was locked up for merely stating what he thought is not agreeable. I don't care what the context is. Basically you are saying that you think they should be able to lock people up for spouting unpopular rhetoric. I say that should only happen in a police state.

Judging by the ignorance pouring forth in this thread, that is exactly what you want.

Edit: For Punctuation.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by mothershipzeta
Turnabout is fair play.

Turnabout is NOT fair play. It's sinking to the level of your opponent. How would we like black people to play turnabout with white people? I don't want to be owned or beaten or raped or be someone's property - don't know about you...

Exactly!

Couldn't have said it better, except to add that wanting/justifying revenge is a kind of hypocrisy.

Star for you.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Well said DaMod.
Some should remember that it was homosexuals who were at one time locked up by the very same system they now cheer for arresting this preacher.

Thats what bothers me about some replies-The hypocrisy.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Who wants to wager that if a muslim had been the one to state that homosexuality is a sin nothing would have happened?

Thank God I don't live in the UK. What a cesshole of PC morons.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by slank

Considering how many people have been and still are being put to death simply because they are Christian this is still huge. This man had his rights taken away but according to you someone must die before anything becomes important.
Also if someone climbs a ladder or is to loud sounds to angry you want to take away their
freedom of speech. What the heck is going on here. We are getting caught in this trap called hate speech. Hate speech is not a crime. Hate is not a crime unless we want to live
like they did in Orwell's 1984 world. Right now I hate the Congress of this country. That doesn't mean I am going to hurt them. It means I am definitely going to work against them and their policies. Citizens are going to get upset and voices will be raised and people will be angry and nasty words may be spoken in the heat of debate. But we don't shut down that debate. Ever! Freedom of speech means freedom of all speech(except with regards to safety) whether we like that speech or not.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Uh, as for drunkeness being a sin, Noah had quite a reputation for drinking heavily, and God still loved him more than anyone else at that time. Or so the story goes.

Sounds like this guy is just a bad preacher. Trying to find the smallest things in the bible which confirm his own beliefs, and ignoring much larger evidence to the contrary.

link   
Oh, so its only a problem when homosexuals are parading their beliefs?

When will we wake up and just live together without voicing our beliefs. Everyone believes what they do based on factors outside of their immediate control. The whole idea of freedom of speech is contradictory to its intent when used in a way of bashing whoever you feel doesn't reflect your opinion.

smh.

link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Good for those cops.

It's not like they were arresting non-bigoted religious preachers. Just saying.. Don't be a bigot, and maybe you wont get picked on in return

Ignorance is bliss huh?

If expressing his (religious) views on homosexuality is a punishable by law offense, why aren't the Muslims who say the same things, plus "U.K. You will Pay" in jail too?

I guess you don't care, seeing how they aren't Christian and of course, it wouldn't be politically correct to say anything against anyone except said Christians.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Originally posted by jolois
Ahhhh I hate the way Christianity is looking now!!
I'm so tired of seeing thoses preachers saying "HOMOSEXUALITY IS A SIN, WHOEVER DOESN'T BELIEVE WILL BURN IN HELL!"

PEACE!

Jolois

My friend you are stereotyping. That is the problem, one man goes to jail and every christian in the world thinks the way "HE DOES". I wouldn't be surprise if he is either baptist or catholic. That being said I think you need to just settle down and know the problems of religion is not religion but the people within religion and the lack of tolerance. Tolerance is the one thing that makes a true christian true. Also, it's what you say that makes up person inside and out to the harsh critic that is called man (NOT SO) Kind

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Jordan River]

Ok sorry maybe my comment wasn't clear :
What I meant is I'm tired of seeing all this media attention that is destroying the catholic church credibility and importance in our life. Everyday we are hearing about intolerant (to take your words) christitans and this, sorry, pisses me off.

And I don't know why to you "That being said I think you need to just settle down and know the problems of religion is not religion but the people within religion and the lack of tolerance" because that is exactly what I said. The religion isn't corrupted, the people in it are. (That is the image the media are giving us, by the way, I don't necessarly say it's the case for every christians).

Everyday I hear about preachers saying homosexuality is a sin,
Everyday I hear about pedophilia cases in the Catholic Churches
Everyday I hear about the pope saying/recommending the population to not participate in events like Halloween,etc
Everyday I hear about christians saying they hold the truth, and if we don't believe, we'll just go to hell.

And this, sir, makes me hate my religion. It's a shame that we are letting this religion ruin it's profound sense.

Jolois

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Wow, I guess one cannot even quote what the Bible has to say anymore huh?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jolois

religion, western at least has no profound sense. If you study an eastern one, daoism, Buddhism, it would be pretty obvious that the western ones offer not much more than the words written on the page.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Risen
reply to post by leo123

Uh, as for drunkeness being a sin, Noah had quite a reputation for drinking heavily, and God still loved him more than anyone else at that time. Or so the story goes.

Sounds like this guy is just a bad preacher. Trying to find the smallest things in the bible which confirm his own beliefs, and ignoring much larger evidence to the contrary.
Noah lived and died BEFORE the Law was given to Moses.

Save the rant.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Why would you need to. A preacher tells you everything you need to believe....

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You cant have it both ways. If god would talk to you directly you would know exactly what he wanted from you. Bible fail, logic fail.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It sounds to me that the police arrested a nut that was harrassing people and he just happened to be preaching.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Hate speech is not a crime.
reply to post by rick1

Really? How much Hate speech has been aimed at you? Have you known the fear of physical violence against your person and then realized that our society in many way condones it? Do you live in a world where you realize that some zealot might decide you don't have a right to live because you are Gay? I've only touched on the surface of what has been visited upon Homosexuals but this is a reality Homosexuals live with around the world everyday.

Has Hate spilled so much blood that we have become numb to it? How many blind eyes will we turn in the name of Gods and words written by small minded men? What this Preacher was doing was wrong and until you are the target of this kind of Hate you will never understand that jail is exactly where he should be.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Am I the only person who found the article to be somewhat slanted? Was this an opinion piece or simply an interview with the accused?
The article seemed to be written with an agenda in mind, the author going so far as to summarize by listing other instances that bolstered her supposition.
I find it difficult to make a call on whether or not this was an infringement of religious free speech when only the religious are presenting their case.
If I only get to here the Westboro Baptist Church's side, of course I'll think they're being oppressed.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

What you speak of no one should be subjected to-But there have been laws against intimidation/threats of violence for centuries,and they apply to everyone.

The moment certain groups/religions start recieving special treatment/seperate laws is the moment it went wrong IMO.

If someone verbally threatens to harm you within earshot of a copper,he will nick them.(Or if you get a witness and complain)

The way neoLab have implemented their hate laws was pretty damned stupid really IMO,when we already had laws against threatening anybody...
Waste of money,pushed by lobbyists..
Jobs for the imbecile bureaucrats IMO,as usual.

This preacher was actually arrested,most likely DNA swabbed etc,(yes they do all that here too)for expressing the belief he got from his book.

In no report I have read did he threaten any harm to anyone.
To be treated as a criminal for what he "believed" seems a tad on the harsh side to me,even plain wrong.
Just like I would say it was wrong to lock up people for being gay back in the day(unitentional rhyme).

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat

Hate speech is not a crime.
reply to post by rick1

Really? How much Hate speech has been aimed at you? Have you known the fear of physical violence against your person and then realized that our society in many way condones it? Do you live in a world where you realize that some zealot might decide you don't have a right to live because you are Gay? I've only touched on the surface of what has been visited upon Homosexuals but this is a reality Homosexuals live with around the world everyday.

Has Hate spilled so much blood that we have become numb to it? How many blind eyes will we turn in the name of Gods and words written by small minded men? What this Preacher was doing was wrong and until you are the target of this kind of Hate you will never understand that jail is exactly where he should be.

Its just the way the world is. As i am interested in the way people click i remember i went onto a white power forum. I had a long disscussion with these people on jesus. They believed that jesus was white! No matter what you throw at them, they just dont care!

And this is the problem. People will read the bible, and it will mean something different to a groupl of people. If you are a hateful,violent person, then you will find an excuse to spread your hate through the bible.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It is very rare that I find myself on the side of religious "nuts," but I have to support this guy here.
I find it appalling that in a supposedly "free" society someone can be arrested for speaking their mind. I do not agree with him, but isn't this what they do in North Korea, China and Arizona? Not in the UK.

If you can not feel free to express your beliefs without fear of reprisal then what can you do?
There is no mention that he accosted physically or detained any passersby in any way. Or that he threatened anyone with harm. Only that he was speaking what he believed.
So what if he was on top of a ladder or on a roof.

Arrest him for trespassing if he was on a roof or disturbing the peace for being loud, but not for speaking his mind to people in public view walking by.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by webpirate]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join