It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

It's vague and open to interpretation, deal with it. If I am reciting you the same response your frequently given, that probably says more about your poor "translation" of the "language of the time" than my comprehension of it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
reply to post by novastrike81

It's vague and open to interpretation, deal with it. If I am reciting you the same response your frequently given, that probably says more about your poor "translation" of the "language of the time" than my comprehension of it.

It's not vague, how is it vague? A tail a thick as a cedar? How is that vague? Have you taken English 101 before? That's a simile which is a comparison of two things using either the word "like" or "as". So a tail as thick as a cedar means it's a thick tail. Does a hippopotamus have a thick tail? No, does an elephant? No, what do we know that has a thick tail? A dinosaur! Unless you know another land animal that has a really thick tail like a cedar. Gosh, the human intelligence is slowly declining thanks to posters like you. See what I did there?

[edit on 3-5-2010 by novastrike81]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81
It's not vague, how is it vague? A tail a thick as a cedar? How is that vague? Have you taken English 101 before? That's a simile which is a comparison of to things using either the word "like" or "as".

good for you, you understand basic English.

So a tail as thick as a cedar means it's a thick tail.

Oops, thought you understood basic english. You should know, being an obvious literary scholar, that similes are often used in conjunction with hyperbole. I probably need to explain that to you, seeing as you apparently missed that class. Hyperbole is figure of speech used to exaggerate for dramatic effect. In this case, the tail does not actually have to be as thick as a cedar, it just means that its relatively thick, it's a defining trait.

Now, what could that be? A lot of things, because it's vague and open for interpretation. It could be real or imaginary.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It will be intersting to see whether the preacher is permitted to swear to tell the whole truth with his hand placed upon the Bible.

If so which laws would he truly be abiding by? The common law of the land which implies freedom of expression, the statute laws which are made by parliament or indeed the laws apparently put forth by the Lord?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

It's not vague, how is it vague? A tail a thick as a cedar? How is that vague? Have you taken English 101 before? That's a simile which is a comparison of to things using either the word "like" or "as".

good for you, you understand basic English.

So a tail as thick as a cedar means it's a thick tail.

Oops, thought you understood basic english. You should know, being an obvious literary scholar, that similes are often used in conjunction with hyperbole. I probably need to explain that to you, seeing as you apparently missed that class. Hyperbole is figure of speech used to exaggerate for dramatic effect. In this case, the tail does not actually have to be as thick as a cedar, it just means that its relatively thick, it's a defining trait.

Now, what could that be? A lot of things, because it's vague and open for interpretation. It could be real or imaginary.

Oops sorry you aren't exactly right. It's also intentional exaggeration not to be taking literally used int he adjective and not the noun. We can conclude it wasn't a hippo because I'm not going to say a hippo's tail is as big as a cedar when it's the size of a small stick and I doubt you would either. I wasn't there to see it but I would need something to compare a dinosaur to so a tree would be a good comparison. Not literal but close unless you were there. As you said it could be real or imaginary; but dinosaurs aren't imaginary.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1xion325alpha
Well all I really have to say after reading all these bigotry filled comments, as a homo sexual myself:

Another bigot bites the dust!!!!

The unsympathetic view most of you show towards homosexuals, I show towards hate spreaders like that. Ya give what you get.

Btw boondock-saint - that preacher sold me his daughter because the bible told him to. I had to kill her because when I married her I found out she was not a virgin.

People view the one of the two articles in the bible mentioning gay people and obviously haven't read down a few verses to see what else their ancient scholar had to say about children and women. SELECTIVE READERS MUCH???
You have a freaky sexual preference. That's all.
We all have a sexual preference. I do as well. But, I am not going to create a group for it, and hand out paperwork about it, and try to jam it down the throats of American families, or march in a parade for it, or expect my government to take money away from the rest of the country, and route it to me and my group.
Get it?
You do not deserve any more consideration than anybody else with a favorite sexual preference.
It's your sex life. You should keep it private like everybody else. And, if you want to wave it out in the air, and somebody says something negative, that is your own fault, just as it would be a heterosexuals own fault if they did the same thing.
Your sexual preference is not considered "natural" to religion, or science. That is all there is to it.
If somebody wants to explain how they see that particular sexual preference, they are within their rights do so.

Just the way you are calling them "bigots", they are calling you a "sinner".

[edit on 3-5-2010 by UruFist]

[edit on 3-5-2010 by UruFist]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
99% of you gearheads have no idea what this topic is all about, do you?

This topic has nothing to do with homosexuality, their acceptance, or equality of all for that matter.

The only relevant topic in this thread is POWER, and those who seek it. And that faction that desires to impose their will upon others with force.

Live with it - it's reality.

(but it's the truth)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The man wasn't preaching.

The 42-year-old Baptist, who has preached Christianity in Workington, Cumbria for years, said he did not mention homosexuality while delivering a sermon from the top of a stepladder, but admitted telling a passing shopper that he believed it went against the word of God.

He was talking to ONE person, explaining what he believed, the cops just "happened" to overhear him and took offense.

Just because someone is a preacher doesn't make every word that comes from their mouth a sermon.

Everyone is so ready to be offended by the slightest thing another says, like THEIR opinion is the ONLY one.

"Oh no, he believes in God, he's a brainwashed moron and should be silenced!!"

"Oh no, he doesn't believe in God, he's a horrible sinner and going to hell."

Arguing about what others believe is foolishness. Each person has to live with him/herself and it's a fact that people have different beliefs, deal with it and move on.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Speaking as a gay man... what he said was annoying, but it is a tenet of his faith and he has every right to preach it.
It's not like he was out there advocating execution for gay people after all.

Not to mention I believe in free speech for everyone, and it's uber messed up that he got arrested. He didn't do anything wrong.

I'm not sure who said it, but I read a quote once that said "If we don't believe in free speech for people we disagree with, then we don't believe it at all."

And while I think his God is a made up fairy tale, his civil rights are not.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Sorry... double post somehow!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Angus123]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I tell you one of my best friends is gay, that I hang out with him on a regular basis, and you think I'm a homophobe?

Now I'm convinced you just like to hear yourself talk. GIVE ME A BREAK!

P.S. Yes the Genitalia is only meant for reproduction. The penis releases sperm which combines with the first available ovum and they combine to form a human baby.

The sole purpose of the anus is to excrete fecal matter so that you don't poison yourself with your own bodily waste.

Whats love got ta do got ta do with it?

[edit on 3-5-2010 by DaMod]

My God! So, if a hetro couple, who are happily married have no kids, but enjoy a great sex life, are you going to moan about them because they are having sex without producing children? I am married, and i dont want children. So, you saying i should not have sex? Oh, and by the way, plenty of hetro couples have sex that involves the anus. I dont care how many times you say you have gay friends. What you are saying is wrong, and i cant believe your "gay friends" are actually your friend with the way you go on!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Jay-morris

You are so wrong!
Dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible...
I have a dvd of a sermon concerning the proof
of dinosaurs in the Bible.
Try looking up the CREATION museum!

Lol the bible does not metion dinosaurs. Are you talking about Behemoth and Leviathan ? I bet you are lol hippopotamus and crocodile comes to mind
Again, its just people reading what they want to read, its as simple as that.

Okay one you are ignorant to anything scripture related so you shouldn't even respond. To do you a favor I'll show you how it's NOT a hippopotamus.

Animal Height (m) Length (m) Weight (kg)
Hippopotamus 1.5 3-4 2,000
Elephant 3.5 6 7,000
Diplodocus 16.5 42 55,000

Here is the passages describing your so called "hippopotamus" (lol, ah good laugh) from the book of Job 40: 15-24:
15 Behold now the behemoth that I have made with you; he eats grass like cattle.
16 Behold now his strength is in his loins and his power is in the navel of his belly.
17 His tail hardens like a cedar; the sinews of his tendons are knit together.
18 His limbs are as strong as copper, his bones as a load of iron.
19 His is the first of God's ways; [only] his Maker can draw His sword [against him].
20 For the mountains bear food for him, and all the beasts of the field play there.
21 Does he lie under the shadows, in the cover of the reeds and the swamp?
22 Do the shadows cover him as his shadow? Do the willows of the brook surround him?
23 Behold, he plunders the river, and [he] does not harden; he trusts that he will draw the Jordan into his mouth.
24 With His eyes He will take him; with snares He will puncture his nostrils.

From those words right there it's obvious it's not a hippo but to prove more it's not we'll go further.
15 - He is an herbivore; that is easy to see.
16 - The word loins is mothen, which is the waist or the small of the back. The word rendered "navel" derives from the Hebrew term sharir. Scholars have suggested that the term originally meant "firm, hard," hence, denoted "the firm parts of the belly". Therefore this animal is described as a very strong animal with a muscular belly. In other words, it was very powerful in the mid-section of its body. This description does not fit the elephant whose strength is in his neck, head, and tusks, not in his “belly.” In fact, he is most vulnerable in the abdominal region.7 The sauropod dinosaur with its very large mid-section stands out as the most likely of the candidates to fit this description. The strength of crocodiles does not emanate from their "loins."
17 - What land creatures do we know of today that have tails the size of a cedar tree? The elephant's tail is like that of the hog, whilst the hippopotamus tail is a little 6-8 inch stubby appendage. The only creatures known to us today that had tails as big as a cedar tree were the largest of the known dinosaurs. Another clue is that the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
18 - The word "bones" is translated from "etsem", which means the body, substance. "Strong pieces" is translated from "aqhiyq", which means, containing. The word "aqhiyq" has a play on a riverbed or valley of a stream, in the sense that the riverbed is strong to hold the river. The body of this creature is a strong as brass, and would need to be if it were as big as a dinosaur. The second time "bones" is used it is "gerem", which is the skeleton. The skeletal structure of this large beast is as strong as bars of iron. Only a very large animal would need these strong bones to support its sheer bulk. Crocodiles don't have bones like iron bars.
21 - A certain habit of the behemoth was lying under the shady trees concealed by the reeds and fens. The shady trees is a translation of se'elim, believed to be a kind of lotus. Reeds and fens are found in swampy areas. The behemoth was also apparently an aquatic animal. The elephant retreats to the depths of the forest during the hot part of the day, not marshy areas. The hippopotamus stays in the deeper water, whereas the behemoth stays under the trees on the bank. The hippopotamus inhabits the rivers of Africa and the lakes of Ethiopia and does not wander far from water. Crocodiles do not venture far from water. Dinosaurs also frequented water spots.

Anyone who denies this is being an idiot and denies the truth and doesn't know anything about what the Bible is saying.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by novastrike81]

That could be anything! As with most of the crap in the bible, its down to how the person reads it. Let me ask you think, if the bible writes the truth, do you still believe the earth is flat, and the earth is at the center of the universe?

The bible is a great tool to spread hate, just like gay hate. Its all hate at the end of the day, just like the human race, which is driven by hate and power. Just look at the state of the world at the moment!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Most people that are so vocal about thier hate of the Bible, or disbelief in God, are doing it because they are so terrified by the concepts inside. Usually, concepts that they cannot understand. Or, because certain behaviors and actions are described as "evil" or wrong. Behaviors and actions that the person is engaged in. So, of course they need the Bible to be wrong, or evil or flawed, otherwise it might mean that they are at fault, are sinners, or are engaged in wrong actions.

The sad thing is, that if they stopped listening to the anti-Bible BS out there, and just looked a little deeper, with more of an open mind, they would see that it isn't about being condemned for evil activity.
It's about being forgive. And, that it IS ok, and "human" to do such things.
It's about things being "OK".
But, first, people have to realize that the human factor might be flawed, but a good message can still be found.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
A preacher isn't allowed to preach in public because it hurts a few peoples feelings.

Yet, I have to see same sex couples holding hands and kissing in public. See propaganda everywhere about being "openminded". Turn on TV to see Rosie's big gay cruise. Even take a Cultural Diversity class at university that turns into nothing but a big homosexual awareness class.

I find it offensive that society is trying to teach my kids that this is Ok and normal. I have no problem with someone choosing to do this in private; but is it just me that feels it is being flaunted.

And before I hear the "animals do it in the wild, so it's natural" argument; they also eat their young, and eat their feces. Most animal homosexual activity in the wild is an act of dominance, which puts it in the category of rape.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I, like most people, am concerned when anyone's right to free speech is infringed. If the accused man was simply expressing his beliefs in a civil manner there is cause for concern.
How can I be certain this was the case? The article only lists the charges, the accused version of events, and a few cases that agreed with the authors preconceived notion that this was a miscarriage of justice.

"Cumbria police said last night that no one was available to comment on Mr McAlpine’s case."

It does not appear that the police have no comment. It appears that the author requested a comment at night when a Cumbria police spokesperson was not readily available. Fortunately, lack of an official statement from the police as to why this preacher was arrested did not deter this author from publishing her investigative piece.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by UruFist
Most people that are so vocal about thier hate of the Bible, or disbelief in God, are doing it because they are so terrified by the concepts inside. Usually, concepts that they cannot understand. Or, because certain behaviors and actions are described as "evil" or wrong. Behaviors and actions that the person is engaged in. So, of course they need the Bible to be wrong, or evil or flawed, otherwise it might mean that they are at fault, are sinners, or are engaged in wrong actions.

The sad thing is, that if they stopped listening to the anti-Bible BS out there, and just looked a little deeper, with more of an open mind, they would see that it isn't about being condemned for evil activity.
It's about being forgive. And, that it IS ok, and "human" to do such things.
It's about things being "OK".
But, first, people have to realize that the human factor might be flawed, but a good message can still be found.

Well, i am not one of them people. I am not terrified by the concepts inside, i just dont believe it. But i understand why people believe in the bible and God. Its a fear of dying and having nothing after. Being dead, and thats it. Never seeing there loved ones again. Why do you think there are many religons around the world?

We are a very primitive race. Our technology is moving fast, but we still deal in tribal warfare, so us, as human beings have not changed that much. Put it this way. If it was not for science, then the bible people would still be saying that the earth is flat, and the earth was the center of the universe

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilw85
A preacher isn't allowed to preach in public because it hurts a few peoples feelings.

Yet, I have to see same sex couples holding hands and kissing in public. See propaganda everywhere about being "openminded". Turn on TV to see Rosie's big gay cruise. Even take a Cultural Diversity class at university that turns into nothing but a big homosexual awareness class.

I find it offensive that society is trying to teach my kids that this is Ok and normal. I have no problem with someone choosing to do this in private; but is it just me that feels it is being flaunted.

And before I hear the "animals do it in the wild, so it's natural" argument; they also eat their young, and eat their feces. Most animal homosexual activity in the wild is an act of dominance, which puts it in the category of rape.

Of course its a good thing to teach children about being gay, as some of them children will be gay and confused. My brother went through school knowing he was gay. Always scared that people would find out. So, yes, we need to teach children that this is not a bad thing, before the bible people get them anyway!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Of course its a good thing to teach children about being gay, as some of them children will be gay and confused. My brother went through school knowing he was gay. Always scared that people would find out. So, yes, we need to teach children that this is not a bad thing, before the bible people get them anyway!

People are ever more getting confused because people like yourself are trying to pull them away from whats right to follow what feels good. In your brother's case, he didn't KNOW he was gay, he merely felt the urge to mate with the same gender. Are you saying if I feel the urge to binge drink that I should follow what feels right? Ironically, of all of the gay people I know, not one is happy. They are all self-loathing, bitter, sensitive individuals. Homosexuality is a "sexual" choice and exposing children to it absolutely should be a crime. They can't even remain innocent anymore without people lobbying for their minds.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

People are ever more getting confused because people like yourself are trying to pull them away from whats right to follow what feels good. In your brother's case, he didn't KNOW he was gay, he merely felt the urge to mate with the same gender. Are you saying if I feel the urge to binge drink that I should follow what feels right? Ironically, of all of the gay people I know, not one is happy. They are all self-loathing, bitter, sensitive individuals. Homosexuality is a "sexual" choice and exposing children to it absolutely should be a crime. They can't even remain innocent anymore without people lobbying for their minds.

What! I know plenty of happy gay people who atr happy. You hope they are not happy, maybe that will make you feel better. How the hell do you know how my brother, and other gay people feel I dont you, and i dont claim to know how you feel deep inside about how you feel and love.

Its sad that we still live in a world where people totally rely on a God that does not exist. Worse than that, a God that brings out the hate in people. Its ignorance to think that gay people "chose" to be gay. I dont chose to be straight, and i dont chose who i fall in love with, and thats the same for gay people. All the gay people i know are great people. and if God sends these people to hell, then i would not want to go to heaven, i would rather go to hell.

But even if there is a God, i dont think God thinks the same way as you people do. Its funny how you people have a God that thinks like a human being, has the same hate like human beings. Could that be because God was made up by human beings? Yes, i very much think so.

All i care about are good people. If you are kind,caring, basically an all round good human being, then thats all that matters to me, and if that is not enough for your fake God, then hell here i come with open arms!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
that is free speech at its best! I think homesexuality is a sin and they can kiss it and arrest me for saying it to. The cop obviously got mad and made up any reason to arrest the person.

See the problem, especially with liberals, is that they only believe in free speech and the Constitution when it benefits them. If somebody has a different opinion then the Constitution doesn' apply. That is where they are wrong...you see it applies whether or not you agree with what the person is saying. Its their way of pushing their ideas onto people, typical libby nonsense!

[edit on 11/10/08 by Victoria 1]

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join