It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Grandma runs 27 marathons in 27 days! Super Human or Freak of Nature?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

A triumphant British grandmother has run into the record books after completing 27 consecutive fund-raising marathons

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca68e8687993.jpg[/atsimg]

Rosie Swale Pope MBE, 63, ran the final step in her grueling 707-mile (1137-kilometer) odyssey to rapturous cheering from a crowd of supporters. Crossing the finish line in Tudor Square, in her home town of Tenby, in west Wales, she said she was "tired but very very happy."

Each run had covered a pre-planned course to ensure it was exactly the 26 miles and 385 yards necessary to be deemed a marathon. Once her exploit has been officially confirmed she will be hailed as the first woman to run so many consecutive marathons.

Source: msn.foxsports.com...

Be sure to read the story-more info ec.

Freak of Nature or Super Woman?

I have to tell you that I know I speak for a good many of us in saying I couldn't do one in 7 days-let alone 27. She was suppose to do 26 but decided to do a victory lap of the marathon course for all of her supporters!!!

Is she typical of what humans should be able to do? Is she some crazy work-out freak that has went to super human status with this feat? How many other people in the world can do what she did-starting tomorrow?

Tell me some group of scientist don't what to get her into a lab and find out what makes her work to do that amazing feat. I can't even begin to imagine the training that must have taken place to get her to peak levels.

Could she be a sign of the future human? Over developed yet looks like us in everyway but can do incredible feats of human ability?

Alien showing off? Hmmmmm Maybe.

Well, no matter what, she is a true testiment to womem overall and the human race. You go Girl!!

[edit on 5/2/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
No way in hell could I do that. I'm a great swimmer, surf quite a bit, sail alot, and ride my bike pretty much everywhere I can, but I'd be a puddled up mass if I tried that. Yup, good for her......so are the 60's the new 20's?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I think this is absolutely awesome!

I think that anybody can do just about anything if they really want to do it ,and put their mind to work to accomplish it. Even a physical feat.

She inspires me, and I'm sure her children, and grandchildren are proud of her, too!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I couldn't do it... but my brother could...

If I wanted to do it, I would have to train for at least 2 years... then I would probably be able to do it... but even then I don't think so...

Anyway, this woman is awesome and is a proof of what someone can do with determination!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I bet most men in marathon shape could keep up with this woman.

Come on 27 days straight!!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Reminds me of Forest Gump. Heh.
Good on her though.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
wow I hope she keeps it all up, someone told me the other day if you don't smoke and walk loads its very good for circulation etc

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Thats amazing. Hell I wouldn't have the stamina to watch for 2 days, much less run for 27. Good for her. Glad she brought some good news in a world full of bad news.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Go Grandma! I am not so suprised at this, I am a firm believer in being as young as you feel, I myself am soon to be 50, but I can tell you, no one guesses that. Most people think I am in my 20's. But I don't live like an 'old person', I don't fit in with folks my own age at all, they all seem to be, well, old! My hubby is 10 yrs younger than me, and I wear him out! (keep the naughty thoughts private please...lol) I am 'hit on' pretty much every day by young men, usually in their 20's, and they flip when they find out my age. They are in awe because all the other people they know that are my age, and even younger, seem sooooo much older. But truly my only secret is not acting old, eating fresh from the garden, and try to be happy. I do what I want. This granny most likely just doesn't give in to her age either.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I first checked the article because I wanted to know her age.

In this world too many people get grandmother/father at ages between 32/40.

but 63 is respectable, it doesn't surprise me though, here where I live they want us to work to age 67 (because of the govt bailouts)in the near future because we all seem so healthy.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

63 is respectable and this doens't surprise you?

You must live in one healthy place!

To me, the 63 is the amazing part of this story.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I work with a 68 yr old woman who can run circles around anyone here. She is def on top of her game, still looks great, and is actually quite attractive for a woman of any age.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Its perfectly possible with a little pre-training and preperation beforehand. All it takes is the right crew, dedication and the ability to get off ones lazy butt and go out and do it.
Were adapted for long-distance running, to this day in Africa a handful of tribes still use homing skills to hunt game which can often travel tens of miles a day. We've lost the skills to use dead-reckoning, but not the ability to run, only the mindset.

top topics

join