It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway Builds the World's Most Humane Prison

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If they had prisons like that in the United States, people would be committing crimes just to get in.

Definately would not work here.

this is already a problem in many states.

alot of homeless people would rather have the roof over their head and free food.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlightOfTheNavigator
WOW talk about vacation resort, i dont even have a flat screen or mini fridge. Well at least now i know where to go to commit my crimes!

P.S. ill send this to lil waynes iphone i think he like

Perhaps thats why a prison like that will work in Norway. We have a high standard of living, so prison aint that much. Just too bad 75% of the inmates are foreigners...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127
reply to post by Counttrarian

Apparently you dont know the US penal system. Depending on crimes, criminals are put in difference 'security' level prisons. Violent and serious crimes are put in maximum security. Minimal security prisons are pretty laid back comparatively.

If only that were the case. Granted most non-violent criminals are not put into SuperMax/High (

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Obviously if it was a serial murderer, they would get life or the death sentence.

We are not talking about the people under maximum comfinement, we are talking about Joe Scmoe who broke into a house.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

That's the stupidest thing anyone could ever do.... Allowing MURDERERS and otther criminals including drug dealers to reintegrate back into society?.... Sorry but you can't re-educate these people, they will go back to the streets and find better ways to stay hidden from the law....

MURDERERS and RAPISTS should not be let go....

In France there is something similar, they let out some really bad people, and they just go back to their life of crime....

I lived in Spain for almost 10 years, and I remember very well how drug addicts were running free in the streets and shooting up RIGHT IN THE STREETS.....

I remember how a child of 8 years old was MURDERED by a drug addict, and she stabbed the little girl with a stake for a few coins....

This happened but a block away from my home in Spain....

I remember how drug addicts put syringes with the needles pointing up which were tainted with HIV in a beach in Spain.... The authorities had to use bulldozers to get all the needles from the beach....

Drug addicts tried to rob me 5 times in Spain, but I was able to get away every time because I was faster, smarter, and trained in Martial Arts. And yes in Martial Arts the first thing you are taught is if you can run away from a fight, more so if there are weapons involved like knives, RUN...

My father was almost mugged three times in Spain, and that' not counting the times he just avoided muggings. Once some idiot tried to steal my father's motorcycle and my father was able to break his leg. Another time he was coming back home from his work late at night and three guys tried to mug him but he got away by running on top of car to car until he got away...

There are more muggings in European countries than in the U.S.

I have never been mugged in the U.S., and I have been all over.

The problem is that in European countries they don't like to show on TV what really happens in the streets....

BTW, CHINA incarcerates more people than the U.S., but in China right after the trial if they only suspect you might have killed someone, or if you are a drug dealer, or even for tax evasion and other minor crimes, which includes being followers of certain religions they send you to another room right after the trial, put a bullet to your head and then they send a bill for the bullet to the family of the "criminal"....

For crying out loud the Chinese even have BUSES that are set up to execute people....

....The country that executed more than four times as many convicts as the rest of the world combined last year is slowly phasing out public executions by firing squad in favor of lethal injections. Unlike the United States and Singapore, the only two other countries where death is administered by injection, China metes out capital punishment from specially equipped death vans that shuttle from town to town.

www.usatoday.com...

While some Chinese were/are real criminals, MANY are executed with dubious sentences and even with no real evidence to convict them....

After all if you could be a "serious problem for the people" like being too democratic, you get inprisoned and even a death sentence in many cases...

[edited to add comments]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
BTW, to make my point...

Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed.
Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries.
The figures comes on the day new Home Secretary Alan Johnson makes his first major speech on crime, promising to be tough on loutish behaviour.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.
Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: 'This is a damning indictment of this government's comprehensive failure over more than a decade to tackle the deep rooted social problems in our society, and the knock on effect on crime and anti-social behaviour.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Take a look at the image... European countries have more crimes than the U.S., and some are even worse than South Africa...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Like the draconian part. Speaks wonders on what america is based on if you know what I mean.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldDisorder
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm thinking about moving to Norway to do all the stuff I've always wanted to do.

Some examples:

• Actually shoot at someone over road rage.

• Light something on fire during a major protest.

• Assault someone who took my parking spot.

Huh.

That is really interesting. It is nice to know that there are some people (Norwegians) who apparently do not need the State to hold their hands. Unlike many of the posters in this thread.

So the only reason as to why you act like a decent human being is because of the Law?

That is just as silly as people who think that one cannot be moral without God.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
After giving this some thought I still have this gut feeling about, how criminal justice worked back in the day of "Mideval Times"

Seems to me that there were very few prisons back then, as they cost money. So it's not like the USA has money to dish out $ to wine and dine criminals.
Plus local communites back in the Mideval times were not prepared to pay for thier upkeep. Like that has really changed oh but we who pay taxes have no say where is the fairness in this???

It was much cheaper to execute someone for bad crimes or mutilate them and then let them go. Not mention if you were inprisoned you were subjected to torture to teach you a lesson.

Makes you want to think just where Norways common sense is??
You committ a crime and get rewarded for it??

A crime committed in Mideval days would most likely go like this..
Thieves =had their hands cut off
killing =well you were just hung or they chopped your head off
Adultry= your eyes were taken away, or you were scared
Rape=dismemberment of certain limbs and organs

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If they had prisons like that in the United States, people would be committing crimes just to get in.

Definately would not work here.

I guess you have never spoken to any homeless people. They would rather eat crap and die cold on the streets than go to jail/prison. NO ONE, NO MATTER WHAT their circumstance, WANTS to go to prison, even sick, tired, hungry. It is more dangerous, humiliating, and repulsive than anything. I have talked to a lot of homeless (I try to help them, its almost a fact that most of them are mentally ill, mostly schizophrenic).

I am all for low recidivism rates. How can we treat inmates like sub-humans (no respect) and allow other inmates to intimidate, indoctrinate, and institutionalize those who want to rehabilitate and then expect them to treat citizens and businesses with respect when they get out? Aren't we just hardening them? And how much does recidivism cost? Don't think this would even be about the money, I think it would easily pay for itself and more!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
www.aftonbladet.se...

Here's some pictures from a swedish newspaper along with translations of the text.

1. The prison is made up of several buildings with a total area of 27 500 square meters.

2. The prison in Halden is surrounded by a six meter high and 1,36 km long wall decorated with "prison art".

3. The art was made by graffitti artist Dolk and for the trouble he recieved 7 million SEK(942 thousand USD).

4. Yet another mural signed by Dolk(dolk means dagger).

5. And another one.

6. The house of culture. Inside you can find...

7. A library and..

8. A music studio where the inmates can develop their musical veins.

9. Here the prisoners can meet their families in a secluded apartment.

10. Norweigan King Harald was on site at the inauguration a month ago and was impressed by the elegant environment.

11. Even the kitchens the prisoners themselves use are top modern. All bathrooms have a shower, a toilet and a sink.

12. Every unit has between 10-12 cells, all with bed, desk, window and a flat screen TV mounted on the wall.

13. The cell doors lock down at 8PM. Half of all the employees are women.

14. At the activity center there's amongst other things a basketball court and a gym.

15. The climbing wall inside the activity center.

16. The gymnasium.

17. The facade outside the dining room.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by TheLaughingGod]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Perhaps you are not aware of the following things. People become who they are because of their eninvironment and genes. That is why here in Finland state owns children as it is said

Because societies in scandinavia are far more egalitarian than American or society in any other european country it actually works. Norway, Sweden, Finland and even Danmark are relatively small countries, when it comes to population so if you commit a crime pretty much everyone will know about it.

(For example I live in small city in Finland and I know exactly that friend, friend, friend of my friend did something against the law. I know that my English teacher was accused in northern part of Finland for having sex with underaged. I knew this because my friend of the friend whom lived in Rovaniemi told about it. He knew it from his schoolmates as it is urban legend in his school.)

It is more based on shame than the actual punishing. Sentences are short so that people may be given another chance. Most of the crimes, which happen here in Finland are either Depression or Alcohol related and they are done without second thought. I actually can't think any crime in my city from past few years, which would not be alcohol related. That's why we have State monopoly on alcohol selling and prices are kept high. When my government lowered prices crime rates went drastically up.

As a joke. How we educate immigrants. It's just exaggerated. It's from swedish sketch but applies in whole scandinavia.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracydude
This got me thinking. Why should criminals have a life of comfort? They should be punished not live in a luxury jail.

That raises the question, what is the degree of crime committed by the individual(s) that would gain access to this luxury jail?
edit on 5-10-2010 by la vie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

People do purposely try to get sent to jail all the time in the U.S. As crappy as our jails are, they still offer 3 meals a day, a roof, clothes, and a structured life.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join