It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway Builds the World's Most Humane Prison

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hahaha!

My wife is Norwegian. When your entire country has Vikings for ancestors, who praised one another for the spoils of unprovoked battles, raping of women, and killing of innocent children, of course you are going to reward those in your country who (finger quotations) "BREAK THE LAW".

Okay maybe I am being a little extreme, but seriously, the Vikings saw nothing wrong with mass killing, stealing, (insert every ten commandment here), so why would they punish people who still do things like this? It's their way of being politically correct.

"Gee, Sven... we can't just give these pure-blooded Odinsons a reward for behaving like a natural Viking while the rest of the world sees them as criminals... OR CAN WE???"

The answer?

"Yes."

ETA:
Remind me to buy a plane ticket to Norway where I will promptly commit a crime upon exiting the plane.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by OrphenFire]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

For certain crimes yeah I agree, but for others where people kill someone with intent, completely aware of what they are doing and it's not for personal defenses reasons they should rot in a hell hole and not in a spa.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Prisons like this are the future. Nobody has a karmic predisposition to be evil. No one is born "evil".

The way society is set up right now, with people being unequal, having to deal with an unfair balance of power and wealth, and having to live within the reality of a corrupt monetary system where deception rules everything around us, all of that breeds people to be and do evil. Most crimes that are committed are for the goal of monetary gain. Not all criminals are the victim. Most of them aren't. Once we finally learn to blame the oppressor and fix the problems with society, jails like this one will be ideal. You can't put a fire with a flame. Meaning you can't treat a #ty like person like # and expect it to turn them around. It will only anger them more and create more hostility and resentment.

I'm amazed at all the people coming to the board for truth don't get it yet. Love solves all problems. Once we make it past a certain point we all know is coming up very soon then we'll be moving in the right direction. Stop being negative and hateful toward people you see as "criminals" and understand that the the way the rotten powers that be are ruling us right now is what bread them to be like that in the first place. Open your hearts. Every child is born innocent and loving like every other. It is the environment and experience they are placed within that molds their perception, attitude and mind.

I commend Norway. It's obviously working for them so more power to 'em. All of you angry people just need a hug or something. It's going to be ok. We're all the same. And we're doing what we can.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Its interesting to see how many times the word punishment has come up in the replies to this thread..
Thanks for the post OP, very good article. The state of the prisons in the UK and US from what i have come to understand (from knowing a lot of time people that i have done time, some of them hard time) arent really too bad.. and the only real complaint is the being cut off from society.. but in others, it only made matters and mental issues worse, making them excessively angry people, more so than when they went in..Western prisons are often said to be aiming to rehabilitate and reform prisoners, but they dont.. not exactly sure what the answer is and cant say Norways approach is the right way to go, but it will be interesting to see what the differences will be over all in a few years time. Treating a person with humanity and decency, especially a person who never really had been treated that way before in their life, could change a great deal in them. In some people, nothings ever going to work.. its just how it goes. Mankind is by far the most unpredictable species i can think of..

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Haha, yeah. Sometimes I can only wish we where like other countries here, then I realize: wait, everyone has problems. It's only a matter if their on the surface or hidden beneath it. They have some freaky stuff going on over there in the Underground.

(Yes, I have read the book you a referring to back in what, 10th grade. It was interesting to learn about some of their culture, though I forgot the books title. Has a burning church on the front. What wasn't he also convicted of that, the fine was like $22 million in US dollars?)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Wow, only 250 some people in the entire jail.
When I was in county, we had around 150 people per pod.
(a pod is one big room with 38 individual cells around the perimeter)
Not to mention that we only had one little 17 inch T.V. WAY up in the corner of the room so no one could see it well, and the food tasted like it had already been eaten, and was promptly retrieved upon exit.

Someone remind me to get locked up in Norway if I have a say in the matter.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Whats next? Holidays to Barbados for well behaved inmates?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Yuck!

Should would suck to be raped, have your child murdered, your spouse beaten to a pulp, or your mother savaged... only for the attackers to be sent to their private country club and spa.

I don't buy the whole 'low recidivism rate' defense for one bit. True nightmares of prisons have an even lower recidivism rate. And countries with stricter penalties have lower crime rates than those that offer criminals cooking classes and flat screen TV's.

I feel sorry for Norwegian crime victims if that is the justice they get. I don't want to ship anyone to the gulags and lash them 10 times a day or keep them in sweat boxes. But this system sounds like pure idiocy.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Is this a joke? A "humane" prison? What a waste of time and money. Criminals do not deserve anything but the bare necessities; a bed, basic food, access to a bathroom, and maybe some exercise. This is not going to change a thing. I work in a state operated prison and 95% of them will re-offend as soon as they get out. Why in the world would you care about someone who has committed a crime against humanity? It just makes no sense. For all you jokers out there who think we need "humane" treatment of criminals, just wait until you are robbed at gun point, family member is raped or killed, and then we can talk about "humane". This is complete asinine.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This facility is not for any criminal. If a person is in prison for murder for example its all about the situation. But Norway has good ratings already on rehabilitating people.

It is not about making it more cozy but the fact that we know regular prisons don't improve people but often makes them worse.

We in Norway believe in cause and effect. What so freaking bad about that?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What is that saying about America if so many americans would commit a crime in another country just to get in their jail? To me it says that we are doing things all wrong here and that the quality of life is amazingly poor for most people. especially the poor.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You guys are all so hilarious. Clearly people who have never been victims of crime. Its also hilarious how you ignore Norway's EXTREMELY tough immigration laws. Of course when the US tries to enforce laws, we're racist. The Norwegians are advanced socially. So much hypocrisy and ignorance on this forum.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Maybe we should give their system a shot. Treat humans like humans, instead of prisons being de facto criminal factories like they are today.

Maybe you should take that crusade to the criminals who commit violent crimes against women and children and make them believe it, first. Then there wouldn't be a need for prisons.

You ever seen a CHILD LYING ON A SLAB IN A MORGUE, murdered by someone else who claimed to "LOVE THEM"??? HAVE YOU??? NO, OF COURSE you haven't you sorry SOB - because for people like you it's all well and good to dictate policy from your computer when you don't know # about what's going on out there.

Your philosophy on treating criminals like angels when they've committed horrible atrocities against their fellow man is DISGUSTING and shows exactly what kind of REPREHENSIBLE human being you and anyone else who believes the same way truly are.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by sos37]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
And btw. The criminal rating in Norway compared to other countries are significant. This is not a result of naive decisions.

But have in mind that we are talking about very different communities. Take US where every generation has felt the economic collapses and poor times. Thats gonna have a impact on many in bad ways.Norway on the other hand has been balanced even in the last economic collaps because we have a oil fund that ensures our future and has done so since the early 70's.

Without it we would be nothing more than another european country...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Most people are in prisons because of a lack of education, training, and mental illness.

A warden started a jail in California. He noticed 75% of offenders ended up back. he got rid of solitary confinement, and started massive counseling and education services. He treated it less like a jail and more like a rehab.

His return rate dropped to 30% and he started getting awards for his efforts.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Most people are in prisons because of a lack of education, training, and mental illness.

A warden started a jail in California. He noticed 75% of offenders ended up back. he got rid of solitary confinement, and started massive counseling and education services. He treated it less like a jail and more like a rehab.

His return rate dropped to 30% and he started getting awards for his efforts.

Yeah, well that's great. So how about we let the "reformed" child murderer move into the house next door to you and yours? Or the reformed serial killer. How about a reformed arsonist?

You wouldn't have a problem with that now would you? You willing to gamble with the safety of your family on how well these reform programs actually work? Because I'm not.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by sos37]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
AWESOME!
This is just the place I want the person that would murder your family members and rape all your children!

We have to treat the perpetrator's of those crimes humanly, or they will behave poorly once incarcerated for the above mention crimes!

See how dumb that sounds, proponents!

I could care less about what happens to prisoners!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
I would be fine with a jail like this here in the US as long as they bring back inmate work crews. I have no problem with them being treated ok, but to provide them with ....

So as long as 8 to 10 hours of their day is committed to WORKING in some aspect to benefit society, NOT just themselves, then I am ok with it.

EDIT TO ADD: A facility like this would be for low level crimes ONLY. Forcible Felonies (rape, murder, child molestation, aggrivated assault/battery)...they get a 5x5 brick room and a stainless steel pooper.....and the only flat screen they see is the one in the tower while the C.O.'s enjoy the game.

[edit on 5/2/2010 by rcwj1975]

Inmate work crews? Sure, when they are VOLUNTARY...and there are bonuses for the work. Slavery is a fine idea for cop mentalities...but for civilized people there is an disgust when people start wanting slave labor for free.

Chain gangs and the rest are all volutary. If an inmate wants to sit in his cell and tell the guards to drop dead, there is no way to coerce them into hard labor at gunpoint. What are you going to do, beat them?/ deprive them of food? Stop all visits? You cannot force compliance.

The US prison system sucks...it does not work. All it does is crank more and more warm bodies into the grinder for prison industries, so the corrupt wardens and bigshots can make money on the labor of others.

If you work, you get paid!! If you do not get paid in some way, you do not work. Simple. If you want to see prison guards getting killed day in and day out, just try forcing compliance. These hard core gangs will tell the Arpaio type thug cops to stuff it...and will back up their beliefs with murder if need be. Once a person gets in prison, the rules change.

Thankfully a civilized nation does something different, and it is a good thing. Now they will actually get some results, instead of just more and more recidivism, as we have here. cops love this system because nothing ever changes...it never gets better, because it is a failed and stupid system, and cops like it that way....not enough 'criminals' and they do not need as many cops..it is job security to keep the failed system going.

Totally selfish and against the social order, but that is nothing new for cops.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Its only natural that i whode poste my own experience here. Since we are talking abaout my home contery.

When it come to a Norwegian Prison THEY ARE ALL GOOD been in 3 my self and its all good in one of em in Tønsberg (Sem) i meet this guy from Africa that wase in fore murder. hes bean there 7 years and had 7 left.
What he sad cinda bugd me, he wase NOT a Sitcesen of Norway and since you get Money while you are in prison in Norway. He wase saving ALL the money he got so when i came back to Africa he wase a ritch man.

But belive this the budsjets fore food of prisoners are ower the dubbel of what pepol get in reteierment homes. So the criminal in Norway are being well lockt after. But are seniors is not, can u see the ironi?.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Norwegian88]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

A lot of the posters here seem to forget that Norway has less of a population than the USA or UK so you can't really base statistics around that...

As for this new Prison Life in Norway maybe it would work, if it manages to change the way criminals thought about others then surely it's a good thing... at the same time if my daughter was raped by some maniac i'm not too sure how i'd feel about him having a pleasant life inside... one other poster mentioned a 3 tier system which i think would be best... do it in stages... if you had a 20 year service then the first 7 of those you spend in the worse part of the prison then afterwoods for the next 7 years you move to an improved facility... then once you've done your 7 years there you move to the much improved facility where you stay until your release...

Mind you i still think certain criminals need to be held in the duldrums for life... Peodo's and Child killers for one

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join