It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway Builds the World's Most Humane Prison

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousproxy
the whole basis of humanity and living beings is to feel loved. The whole reason crime is committed is because of abuse, is because of background, is because of how the governments have put pressure on society to ake them go against each other.

Although some of that may be true i think you are discounting the fact that there are truly evil people among us. There are a lot of people who come from abusive and unfortunate backgrounds who don't turn into criminals. And there are a lot of people from good family's and backgrounds that do abominable acts.
I save my humanity for those who share it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This can't be the way forward surely? The old style prison systems across the western world are failing because we try to help people that society just does not need.
A much better way would be if prisons where just holding cells where the offenders of serious crimes (murder,rape and anything else that carries more than a 10yr sentence) were just put down like the dogs they are. Isn't everyone just sick of see-ing these life long losers furrow their brows in a vain attempt to try to and adjust to living in a civil society after they come out of prison. It would be much better if we just got rid of them the first time they offended. As a society we would be much better off, its not like an ex-long term offender ever contributed anything worth while after coming out of a long term sentence. We would lose nothing as a society IMO........

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
# giving our prisoners that kind of treatment, most of them are in there for a reason. If our prisons were that nice we would have people trying to get into prison doing stupid crimes.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymousproxy

False, I came from an abusive home. I am not nor have I ever raped, murdered, or molested a child. Never have I committed a felony nor have I lived in the prison system.

People as adults make choices; we are responsible for our own choices. It is no one else’s fault but my own if I commit a crime.

Raist

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well first, this wouldn't work in the US because those prisons would put a prisoner at a higher standard of living than many people.

Which says something about the decline of the US - other countries prisons are now nicer than our average standard of living. Let's face it we are NOT the greatest country economically anymore. We may be one of the biggest but we certainly aren't the best.

Second, what's the point of punishment? From the studies it really doesn't seem to reduce crime. Look at Texas, they put EVERYONE in their horrible prisons and they still have a high crime rate. As for punishment for "justice", isn't that playing God?

I would rather treat a criminal nice if it would stop another violent crime - leave the punishment for the afterlife.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Doesn't the USA already have facilities such as these with even better comforts called Club Fed? Of course, these "prisons" are reserved only for white collar criminals who bilk the public out of millions and can afford to pay off the corrupt legal and justice system.

Maybe Norway and the United States are not that different after all. In Norway everyone is treated equally (humanely), while in the U.S. everyone is also treated equally (terrorist/drug dealer) unless you have the mega-bucks to pay off the system and buy your innocence.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Almost beat me to it.

I'm wondering if the politicians in Norway built it, just in case they get caught cheating ?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
NOTE TO ALL ILLEGALS IN AMERICA....

You're doing it wrong. Go to Norway where they are so much more humane. You have to work here, go there, steal someones identity, get caught, and live the life of luxury. On the way there, remind the EU that American's are all cruel and we banned you from entering our country illegally.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
So, i Someone can go rape, murder and steal in norway and all they get it this vacation resort of a jail? Punishment for these crimes should not be a sleek and cosy jail

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
as i have visited norway twice - i can say from personal experience that the the criminal justice system is not responsible for the crime rate - or vice seversa

nor are the allegedly ` soft ` prisons responsible for the low rate of re offending

at the risk of stating the blisteringly obvious - its an entirely different country up there

the truth may hurth - but they are simply a lot more civilized than many other communities

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
This prison has caused quite a bit of debate here in Norway. Many, including myself, thinks its insanity to build a prison like this while facilities like retirement homes has lower standards.

Another problem is the gangs from eastern europe. The travel around and steal what they can with no fear of getting caught. Its a win - situation for them. If they get caught, they are still better of then returning home.

But all in all its a good thing. Education is the key to stop the circle of crime. A swedish study says that for each SEK invested in education for inmates, 13-14 SEK can be "harvested".

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Originally posted by conspiracydude
This got me thinking. Why should criminals have a life of comfort? They should be punished not live in a luxury jail.

Because Norway, unlike the United States, is actually progressing into the next stage of humanity. They are way ahead of the curb on this one. The Scandinavian states are setting the example for the rest of the world to follow.

I agree. You can't rehabilitate a person by using negative energies.

They just end up hating more.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracydude

Have you ever made a decision in life you regret?

For most of the people in prison this is the case, and they probably don't deserve what they are receiving!

For the select few who have killed I think it is fair that they stay in a prison!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This would never work in the United States, or practically anywhere for that matter. Prisons need to be thought of as not a nice place, because that is the only way to deter crime. As some have said already, if prisons were like this, people would commit crimes for the sake of occupying this resort type prison that Norway has. We can be compassionate to a certain degree to inmates, and give them ample opportunities to rehabilitate themselves. For example, access to religious services, education, legal assistance, exercise, substance abuse treatment, ample sanitation, decent food, and other basic human rights. However, they should not be given the Taj Mahal. Prison is supposed to be harsh to a certain extent, but not cruel and inhumane.

These people chose to make bad decisions, and they must pay for them. The imprisonment should be equitable to the crime, and harsher with the severity of the crime. Still, it should be carried out with basic human rights at forefront of any incarceration. We must remember as vile and despicable as these monsters are, they are still human beings. If we acted as vile as the criminals in how society deals with them, then the society is no better than the criminal. It must be instilled in the criminal and would be criminal that crime doesn't pay.

Some get with the program, while others never learn and actually enjoy being predatory parasites. Some are what many consider psychopaths, sociopaths, schizophrenics, and will never be rehabilitated because they are mentally deranged. So, as noble as this prison may be in Norway, it will never work. Criminals must realize that if they get caught, prison is going to be a dark and bleak affair. That is the only deterrent to crime, and the only insurance of self rehabilitation on the part of the ex-con. In other words, they will be encouraged to try their best to remain within the law.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I have been doing a 2 year research on norway lately on psychology and sexology. And i am still very shocked. In general they have a cultural understanding wich still suits the 1920s, an earlier test also showed this.

They are frightened and extremly sceptical of strangers and mostly keep to themselves. The way they live in their ignorant view of the rest of the planet is amazing. General A4 type of humans wich have no worries in their lives, when saying general that means of course exeptions.

Some actually thought the war in iraq were a hoax and that the ashes from the Vulcano on Island was a fabricated DEAL,a factory going wrong.

Its like being surrounded by cavemens or being in a horrormovie\Twilight zone.

It is really scary. But its probably the safest place on earth.

For them the building of a HUMAN prison seems obvious where it does not for us.

Scandinavia is Scandinavia-it doesnt need to make sense.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Archirvion
I have been doing a 2 year research on norway lately on psychology and sexology. And i am still very shocked. In general they have a cultural understanding wich still suits the 1920s, an earlier test also showed this.

They are frightened and extremly sceptical of strangers and mostly keep to themselves. The way they live in their ignorant view of the rest of the planet is amazing. General A4 type of humans wich have no worries in their lives, when saying general that means of course exeptions.

Some actually thought the war in iraq were a hoax and that the ashes from the Vulcano on Island was a fabricated DEAL,a factory going wrong.

Its like being surrounded by cavemens or being in a horrormovie\Twilight zone.

It is really scary. But its probably the safest place on earth.

I would really like to know more of these studies of yours. I dare to say that we norwegians probably knows more of whats going on in the world that most other. Mostly because it doesnt happen so much here, we need to look elsewhere to get some nice and juicy news.

And the war in iraq or the volcano has never been considered a hoax by the general population.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Oh, How interesting.

The only thing missing is the daily one hour full body massage performed by a beautiful blond haired blue eyed Norwegian amazon.

I would expect this prison to have a waiting list very soon.

The US is far to large and complex for a social experiment like this. Keep in mind that Norway has a population of just around 5 million people. NYC alone has a population approaching the 9 million mark.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The only way this will work is if the country has a very high standard of living for it's entire population.

For example if somebody has been in a perpetual cycle of poverty, with the basics of life not being properly provided, food, clothing and shelter, or even homeless, there would be a temptation to make your life better by committing a crime big enough to get into such a pleasant facility.

Would this work in America?
With the high unemployment, you could be creating new criminals for nothing.
People get desperate when they can't work and have no money.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well, I have to say, if it is a non-violent offense, then rehabilitation is certainly a more reasonable approach than joe arpaio's formula of green food and pink underwear.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If they had prisons like that in the United States, people would be committing crimes just to get in.

Oh, we have those people here too. Norway has been known for their "luxury" prisons. It's a far, faaaaar cry from what the US of A has. In fact, I'd say Norway should go in the opposite direction. Norway is far too "cushy" when it comes to criminals, our *life sentance* is like what, 15 years in jail? You rape and kill a child, oh no! 12 years in a comfortable prison!

Norway is too liberal and soft for their own good unfortunately and the criminals know this. Statistics show that.

Originally posted by Carseller4Definately would not work here.

It doesn't really "work" here either.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join