It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway Builds the World's Most Humane Prison

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
www.time.com...

Ten years and 1.5 billion Norwegian kroner ($252 million) in the making, Halden is spread over 75 acres (30 hectares) of gently sloping forest in southeastern Norway. The facility boasts amenities like a sound studio, jogging trails and a freestanding two-bedroom house where inmates can host their families during overnight visits. Unlike many American prisons, the air isn't tinged with the smell of sweat and urine. Instead, the scent of orange sorbet emanates from the "kitchen laboratory" where inmates take cooking courses. "In the Norwegian prison system, there's a focus on human rights and respect," says Are Hoidal, the prison's governor. "We don't see any of this as unusual."

Halden, Norway's second largest prison, with a capacity of 252 inmates, opened on April 8. It embodies the guiding principles of the country's penal system: that repressive prisons do not work and that treating prisoners humanely boosts their chances of reintegrating into society. "When they arrive, many of them are in bad shape," Hoidal says, noting that Halden houses drug dealers, murderers and rapists, among others. "We want to build them up, give them confidence through education and work and have them leave as better people." Countries track recidivism rates differently, but even an imperfect comparison suggests the Norwegian model works. Within two years of their release, 20% of Norway's prisoners end up back in jail. In the U.K. and the U.S., the figure hovers between 50% and 60%. Of course, a low level of criminality gives Norway a massive advantage. Its prison roll lists a mere 3,300, or 69 per 100,000 people, compared with 2.3 million in the U.S., or 753 per 100,000 — the highest rate in the world.

The cells rival well-appointed college dorm rooms, with their flat-screen TVs and minifridges. Designers chose long vertical windows for the rooms because they let in more sunlight. There are no bars. Every 10 to 12 cells share a living room and kitchen. With their stainless-steel countertops, wraparound sofas and birch-colored coffee tables, they resemble Ikea showrooms.

Halden's greatest asset, though, may be the strong relationship between staff and inmates. Prison guards don't carry guns — that creates unnecessary intimidation and social distance — and they routinely eat meals and play sports with the inmates. "Many of the prisoners come from bad homes, so we wanted to create a sense of family," says architect Per Hojgaard Nielsen. Half the guards are women — Hoidal believes this decreases aggression — and prisoners receive questionnaires asking how their experience in prison can be improved.

I think this is a great thing. They deserve congradulations!

If more prisoners felt cared about and happy they would be far less likely to go and commit another crime.

+23 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
If they had prisons like that in the United States, people would be committing crimes just to get in.

Definately would not work here.

+13 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This got me thinking. Why should criminals have a life of comfort? They should be punished not live in a luxury jail.

+40 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracydude
This got me thinking. Why should criminals have a life of comfort? They should be punished not live in a luxury jail.

It embodies the guiding principles of the country's penal system: that repressive prisons do not work and that treating prisoners humanely boosts their chances of reintegrating into society.

Because Norway, unlike the United States, is actually progressing into the next stage of humanity. They are way ahead of the curb on this one. The Scandinavian states are setting the example for the rest of the world to follow.

We are still trapped in this 'vengeance' state of mind, its a societal curse which afflicts every facet of our culture. It's not just the United States, it's most of the world.

Norway has the lowest homicide rate in Europe (and arguably the lowest in the world besides Japan, based on reported/vs/unreported statistics). They also boast one of the overall lowest rates for total crimes in the world. Compared to the US which has staggeringly high statistics in both areas, I would say they are obviously doing something right.

Link

Link

Maybe we should give their system a shot. Treat humans like humans, instead of prisons being de facto criminal factories like they are today.

+7 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
So let me get this straight.

If I were Norwegian I could say rob somebody or possibly even murder them or whatever, then I get to go live at a country club? Wow what a sweet set up.

What a terrible punishment that must be.

Wait I get it maybe if they spoil them like a child they can continue to bribe them to “be good”.

Raist

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If it works and it lowers reoffending rates it's hard to criticise. Many countries including my own (UK) have fairly broken prison systems with little rehabilitation and high reoffending rates. Does getting tougher really lower crime? a lighter touch seems to leave everyone, including society, better off.

I can understand victims wanting punishment dished out but if it only serves to make things worse I really don't know.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think the U.S. should have a mixture of good and bad in their prisons.

When you first get there, you eat and sleep in horrible conditions, but when you have to go to your MANDATORY 6 hour per day schooling, then the school set-up should be more like the Norway model. That way, you'll WANT an education.

A third of your way through your sentence, you get better living conditions, visitations, etc...... As the years go by, things just get better for you so when you do get released, acclimation isn't really an issue.

I think it's at least worth a try.

Peace

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If they had prisons like that in the United States, people would be committing crimes just to get in.

Definately would not work here.

Yep probably wouldn't work here in the UK either, it says a lot about Norway as a true first world country where this is even possible.

I guess it can be watched as a sort of experiment by the rest of the world, see what they can take from it for their own prison systems.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Prisoners should be split into groups Violent / nonviolent.

You commit a violent crime like rape, murder, child molesting etc. you go to a bad place with other bad people.
other lesser crimes you can go to a nicer place, maybee not as nice as the one in Norway, but a place to serve your time where you wont be a worse criminal when you get out.
repeal most of the stupid drug laws and save some serious money.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Progressive run Norway has lost its mind!"

Who makes prison like a vacation? Crazy people. So the next time the guy thinks of raping some old woman, he stops and thinks of the downside and then the thoughts of his last beautiful incarceration start dancing in his head...

+10 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Rehabilitation is the only way to solve the problem.

By "punishing them" you are TEACHING them how to HATE everyone.

You are TEACHING them how to become better criminals once they get out.

By rehabilitating them, we have chances of them coming out and turning a new leaf, by becoming productive citizens.

Having them come out 10x the hardened criminal they were when they went in helps no one.

What do the statistics and evidence point to???

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DucTape
Prisoners should be split into groups Violent / nonviolent.

You commit a violent crime like rape, murder, child molesting etc. you go to a bad place with other bad people.
other lesser crimes you can go to a nicer place, maybee not as nice as the one in Norway, but a place to serve your time where you wont be a worse criminal when you get out.
repeal most of the stupid drug laws and save some serious money.

Agree 100%

This is a logical and rational poster we have here spreading common sense.

Starred your brilliant post DucTape.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This system can work in Norway and other Scandinavian countries which have drastically lower numbers of homelessness, poverty and unemployment than in the US for example. The US has a homeless rate of about 1% compared to Norway of about 0.1%.

So there is much less desperation and much less crime and therefore a radically different approach to punishment and rehabilitation ... obviously.

Scandinavian countires also have excellent social services and a culture of social responsibility.

Denmark, for example, has free university education for EU citizens and pays it's Danish citizens 700 Euro a month to study.

They can do this because they have a high income tax rate of nearly 50% and a very low rate of tax evasion ... of which the Danes are very proud to do.

Compare this to the narcissistic "greed is good" attitude of the US and the effects this has on it's population, and you can see why this system would work in Norway and not in the US.

Edit - It's the same here in Australia ... We are loosing our compassion and our sense of responsibility to our future generations ... it's all about "Me" and the "Now"

reply to post by muzzleflash

Couldn't agree more ... well said

[edit on 2/5/10 by Horza]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
They aren't free. They are still shut off from the activities of the free. You don't need to be harsh to prisoners . You just want them seperated from society. You can treat them like humans still and not caged rats.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I too am happy for Norway. I hope one day the US will be advanced enough to be able to do this. I'm sure when our crime rate is as low as that of Norway then this will indeed be a viable option. Until then, well, just one more item on the huge to-do list for the US.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
gotta love Norway. Varg Vikernes only got 21 years(which was the max) for killing Euronymus. He only did about 16 of them and that included a prison escape.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
the whole basis of humanity and living beings is to feel loved. The whole reason crime is committed is because of abuse, is because of background, is because of how the governments have put pressure on society to ake them go against each other.
This idea, as much as you may feel is wrong, is a right thing to do because when you keep punishing people it will not stop. Abuse continues you need to love and nature humanity for a way forward that is the next step in our evolution.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Another important factor to consider is the reduction of prisoner on prisoner crime and prisoner on officer crime. If I were a prison gaurd, I most certainly would like to be around a more docile group of people.

Consider this also, there are many people incarcerated that are in fact innocent, mentally unstable or mentally impaired. What a shame to treat humans that may be innocent like chained dogs to a tree.

I definitely side with more humane treatment. Humans react to their environment.

In the U.S. we have people incarcerated for petty things, they go to jail, they come out far more bitter and dangerous than when they went in.

It's time we as a human race rise above the need to harshly treat prisoners. Put them in an environment of tranquility for the rest of their lives and they will prosper spiritually and they will acknowledge and contemplate their grievous crimes against others.

I don't want a U.S. prisoner on my streets. Thug factories turn out more dangerous thugs.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
"I hope one day the US will be advanced enough to be able to do this."

Don't hold your breath. A blood thirsty country which justifies torture, advocates the suspension of writs of habeas corpus, imprisons individuals for decades for non-violent offenses, encourages police brutality and mercilessly attacks sovereign nations for their resources has a snowball's chance in hell of displaying any type of humanity toward their fellow human being.

The USA is a nation made up of barbaric draconian savages...and I am not talking about the prisoners.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I would be fine with a jail like this here in the US as long as they bring back inmate work crews. I have no problem with them being treated ok, but to provide them with flat screens, weightrooms, sound rooms, etc...they better damn well be doing something to offset MY cost. I work full time and DON'T put myself in situations that will get me prison time....so I shouldn't have to pay the entire bill.

So as long as 8 to 10 hours of their day is committed to WORKING in some aspect to benefit society, NOT just themselves, then I am ok with it.

EDIT TO ADD: A facility like this would be for low level crimes ONLY. Forcible Felonies (rape, murder, child molestation, aggrivated assault/battery)...they get a 5x5 brick room and a stainless steel pooper.....and the only flat screen they see is the one in the tower while the C.O.'s enjoy the game.

[edit on 5/2/2010 by rcwj1975]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join