It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prayer, religious funding bills find backing in House and Senate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away
reply to post by SlickOil

Prayers from what religion?

Not all public school children come from atheist homes or of the same religious upbringing. There are many many religions that must be given the same treatment. Choosing one over the other just segregates us more.

Prayers from all religions. Do they not teach multiple different subjects for multiple different levels of students at the same time. Why can't they do the same and allow different rooms for different types of prayers?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Wow......I don't see the outrage over this. A moment of silence, possibly a prayer at a sporting event etc, and now we're funding private schools......uh no! Epic fail, what is wrong with this? As long as there are tests in school, there will be prayer in school. Really, with all that's going on in the world today...this gets you this upset. What about the students who do want prayer.....screw them because a small minorty doesn't agree.....I tell ya, political correctness and entitlements are gonna be the end of us.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Yes, that means people that pay into the Public School systems are forced.

Correct?

There has been a move to allow parents to choose their choice of school using the very taxes they have been FORCED to pay, if they send their children to private, public or none.

So, this has everything to do with it. Everything.

If one is forced to pay taxes for public schools yet have no choice in the matter, that is taxation without representation.

Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Two documents people here in the US of A, should know inside and out. Maybe that is why they do not want people to NOT go to their public schools.

There is NO social contract. NONE. We are meant to be free and sovereign individuals, not some number in the corporate oligarchy's asset list.

None that are so fortunate to live in the very bosom of the freedoms created by our forefathers, should be so brazen as to forget the very reasons they fought and died for their brethren.

Freedom of choice, freedom of religion, freedom of education, freedom of thought, freedom of speech, ................FREEDOM!

[edit on 5/2/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Because it means the segregation of children by religion. This is something that I am not ok with at the core of my being.

It is confusing for them, segregate them as children and they will segregate themselves as adults. And why? Because we have shown to them through our actions that this is acceptable and even desirable.

By doing this, it is seemingly ok to segregate ourselves from other human beings by religion, and religion first.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

That is not segregation of children by religion any more than it is segregation based on what subject they are taking that period or whether they are in the smart class or the dumb class.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

There is absolutely no comparison as to segregating children by religion and segregating based on class size, time and subject.

Presumably whether you are taking biology in period 1, 2 or 3 you are being taught the same thing. No matter what time slot it is in. The academic or applied classes takes into account the persons learning ability. The subject matter is still the same.

Religion is not the same as math, science, art or gym class.

It is intolerable to think that we would segregate our children and instil our biases and beliefs into them, when it goes against everything else we would try to teach them.

We (hopefully) teach our children to question everything they hear, read and see based on the knowledge that they have. To not accept a persons view without questioning it for bias, motive and reason. Regardless of said persons authority, presumed or real.

I do not have children, and I know the argument that goes, "How can people care about others if they are not related or tied to them somehow?" Well the children of today and the children not yet born will be responsible for taking care of me and my loved ones in our old age, presuming I get that far. They will be the ones making the laws of the land for my yet unborn children. They will be the ones making choices for us in the future about everything.

Unless we teach them that they have far greater in common with one another, rather than instilling the differences of old, we will go nowhere fast. Religion is the great divider.

edit: for grammar

[edit on 2-5-2010 by worlds_away]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by worlds_away

LOL we are going to learn differences in religion based on how our parents raise us and the personal choices we make. Just because we have different religions does not mean we are segregated. Segregation is a choice. I have friends from many different religions and it has never once been an issue for any of us. I dont try to convert them and they dont try to convert me. It is simple.

However what people like you want is for us to have no choice in religion because that might make us different. What you want is for us all to be the same. That is no life. That is just conformity being forced upon us.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlickOil

Originally posted by worlds_away

Prayers from what religion?

Not all public school children come from atheist homes or of the same religious upbringing. There are many many religions that must be given the same treatment. Choosing one over the other just segregates us more.

Prayers from all religions. Do they not teach multiple different subjects for multiple different levels of students at the same time. Why can't they do the same and allow different rooms for different types of prayers?

That would be a lot of rooms. There are thousands upon thousands of religions in the world, not just 3 or 4. Some prayers even involve animal sacrifice so, we're gonna need a lot of paper towels too.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Screw this backwards hillbilly state!
[edit on 5/2/10 by Misoir]

The states containing sections of the Appalachians and the Ozarks are the "backwards hillbilly states". Florida has no hills and no hillbilies. Those are "crackers", so it's a "backwards cracker state".
If we're going to discriminate while railing against intolerance, let's use our disparaging terms correctly, shall we?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by 23refugee]

[edit on 2-5-2010 by 23refugee]

[edit on 3-5-2010 by 23refugee]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

But you are talking about adults and I am talking about children.

You do not know me, so I take great offence to you putting words in my mouth like "what people like you want" is for "us" (seemingly not including me) to have no choice in religion. If that were true I would not want freedom of choice of religion for myself.

Actually what I want is for everyone to have a choice to what they believe. When they are good and able to do the research for themselves and make such a choice.

Children, for the most part, do not have the resources or skills to research and choose which religion they will belong to as children. You are right, most will get their information from their parents. Many will get biased information from their parents on different religions and even atheists.

Segregation is not a choice for a kindergarten aged child being put into any religious school, it is a choice of their parents.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I don't mind where you might allow students a few moments of SILENT meditation or prayer or mental centering,

but when the teacher is leading a spoken prayer, that can not help but be religious indoctrination.

Unconstitutional. Separation of church & state, regardless of what political psycho-monkeys have gotten themselves installed in offices.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

Read the bill. Teachers aren't even mentioned. The bill is to permit school boards to allow students to hold a student-led prayer at non-mandatory school sponsored events if a majority of students want one. Nothing is being mandated. No teachers will be preaching or praying. Basically if the graduating class wants a prayer at their graduation, a student could say one without getting in trouble over it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
SlickOil is using oily slick deceptions.

The public school is ambiguous NOT atheist.
Atheist would teach that there is NOT a god.
The public schools do no such thing, which makes your statement an intentional lie or at least a gross inaccuracy.

Why don't you get involved to make your public school a good one instead of running away from it?

I guess that would take some time, effort & responsibility on your part, which clearly you can't manage.

Right reactionaries don't build or work with communities, they just tear them down.
They can only start insane & wildly expensive wars, & yet never even come close to any kind of nation building to make up for it. They can't even nation build at home, all they do is piss, bitch & moan.
They can't do anything because can't get their hands dirty or they would have to neurotically chop them off. Chopping off their noses despite their face. Idiots.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join