It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Ive been thinking about how to stop this and I believe I have a way. Drop a very big explosive down into it and detonate in at say 1/4 mile deep . That should cave the ocean floor into it and seal it. Maybe even deeper so that the oil would not seep upwards.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by bluemooone2]

This was already discussed in the OP's link

The only piece of human technology that might address this is a nuclear bomb. I'm not kidding. If they put a nuke down there in the right spot it might seal up the hole. Nothing short of that will work. [See Paul Noel's ideas above.]

This is saddening, truly saddening. One of mankind's if not THEE biggest blunder of all time. I regretfully fear this is the end of our beloved planet. I've got a very very bad feeling about all of this.

God speed!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Here is my question...If i drive my car on the freeway and im exceeding the speed limit posted and i hit someone and they are injured or their car is wrecked...dont i or my insurance have to pay for it!! So these big cheese companies should be shelling out thousands of relief dollars to contain this or start cleaning up the mess or put some sort of relief efforts in the works ASAP? SOMETHING????

These companies know the gamble they take when drilling, they should be held liable and hit where it hurts! In their greedy pockets! I do hope a solution is found quick.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by trig_grl]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"706 million gallons of waste oil enter the ocean every year" I don't think I believe in that source. I don't think it's based entirely on just oceans, but could be spill incidents that happened in lakes in the past. Or spills on open land. Eventually it'll seep into the ground where there is water. But doesn't mean that the spill will magically appear into the ocean.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Ive been thinking about how to stop this and I believe I have a way. Drop a very big explosive down into it and detonate in at say 1/4 mile deep . That should cave the ocean floor into it and seal it. Maybe even deeper so that the oil would not seep upwards.

This was already discussed in the OP's link

The only piece of human technology that might address this is a nuclear bomb. I'm not kidding. If they put a nuke down there in the right spot it might seal up the hole. Nothing short of that will work. [See Paul Noel's ideas above.]

This is saddening, truly saddening. One of mankind's if not THEE biggest blunder of all time. I regretfully fear this is the end of our beloved planet. I've got a very very bad feeling about all of this.

God speed!

Yup, I completely forgot that the pressure coming out would make my idea impossible.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

You guys are kind of panicking... there's lots of things they can do... the first thing I can think of is get a snubbing unit in there... of course the concrete cap is probably quicker...

Out in Texas they have a number of wells like this, pressures to high for our technology and equipment... truth is there's still a lot of untapped oil in many parts of the world we just can use it...

Normally we have safety equipment in place called a (BOP) Blow out preventer they come in two flavors shear or ram... obviously whatever happened way down there blew out the christmas tree (Valve assembly)... Oil men have been working with runaways for over a hundred years now, they know what to do... it's just gonna take time... trust me I use to work the rigs...out in the patch not deep sea but its pretty much the same...

anyway so you can see just how quick an accident can happen here's a little vid

[edit on 2-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Oh my. I wonder if that person died from blunt force trauma. That's a pretty intense video.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
You arent the only one-BP has suggested this as a possibble solution as well.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Create a "filter"? WTF? A filter for what?

Move fish into lakes? What lakes? You do realize you cant take ocean life and just put them in fresh water right?

Plerase clarify-your post makes no sense at all as written.

Originally posted by Haydn_17
reply to post by antonia

Im certain we would create a filter, move fish into lakes, make safe zones if the shtf

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Guess I should have warned folks it is intense and now you know why it's one of the highest paying most dangerous jobs in world... do know if the guy made it they didnt say. my guess is at least it broke both his arms...

when you see the driller turn away fron the control panel he's closing the rams to the BOP imagine what would have happened to all of them if they failed... well that is what happened on the BP rig... Nasty business

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by unityemissions

All of your math does not address the fact that the life that is killed off from this "spill" will have devastating impact on the food chain.

If that impact is great enough it can and likely will kill off a lot more sea life than you are aware of.

So you're in my mind now and can tell what I'm aware of and not, eh? What a spectacular gift. I'd suggest you go after that $1,000,000 psychic claim.

Maybe not all sea life, but we really don't know and there is no formula for that.

I never said this doessn't have the potential to kill off a significant portion of marine life. What I argued is that this could kill earth's oceans, meaning all of marine life. That's not going to happen.

If you kill off enough life in the ocean it will remove a food source for a lot of other life, and that kind of cycle is sure to spread beyond the life that is directly affected by the oil.

Agreed. That's why I've been so concerned with overfishing and the collapse of coral reefs. I've spoke about this on numerous occasions on these boards in the past. About 1/3 of the fish from major fisheries are already depleted. I agree that after a major tiping point is reached, it'll have catastrophic effects on ALL life on the planet. Just don't think this is large enough to make a dent. The ocean is incredibly vast, and what humans do to it on a daily basis is already massive. This seems gargantuous, but if you added up all the little tidbits that already happen, I just don't think it's THAT much more to be talking about the end of all life in the oceans, or reaching that tipping point...just yet. In the coming decades? Probably so.

How bad will it get?

No one knows for sure, no one can dismiss the impact of this with a calculator either.

Nature is entirely unpredictable and incredibly fragile.

No. Nature is not fragile, it's incredibly resillient. It's just that our impact is tremendous and continuously increasing exponentially.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Katie bar the door is an old west refrerence to a settler and his wife in their cabin and the indians are coming.
Meaning bar the door so we can try to fight off insurmountable odds.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by g146541]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Britman

yep, its so obvious. what makes it worse is they think we are all daft enough to believe it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Hey Hawkiye! Yes, this freaks me out too. I was just reading Revelation the other day and happened across a reference to sea creatures dying out. (I'm not sure if it is contained in this thread. I looked through the posts but I have missed it.)

Revelations Chapter 16 is called the 7 bowls.

Verse 3: "The second angel poured out his bowl on the sea. The sea turned to blood like that from a corpse; every creature living in the sea died." (This sounds like an oil spill to me. I supose there could be more and more of these?)

The seventh bowl is the last one, when his bowl is poured into the air, "a great earth quake..Every island fled, and mountains disappeared. Large hailstones like huge weights came down from the sky on people..." (This sounds like a massive flood that covers all of the land.)

Seems to me that the world will come to an end someday according to all the prophesies from multiple cultures. There is nothing that can be done about it. Everything seems to point to getting ones spiritual house in order.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

i hope your right. The OP says this kind of pressure is beyond our scientific knowledge to contain. Do you disagree with that?

You seem to say this is routine and there are other wells with this kind of pressure that are not containable and if so how did they get drilled and contained? Or am I misunderstanding you?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is kinda worrisome. I hope this gets fixed soon. It's annoying how this happened in the first place, and now so many things are at a stake. What a blunder, humanity.. what a blunder.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Lighting off explosives down there just might blow a bigger hole.

Capping it with some enormous block would seem feasible, unless the rig is on top of the hole like it says in the article. Course, what could carry a block that size and deliver it to the right spot in 5000 feet of water?

The Bible says that 1/3 of the worlds oceans would turn to blood, killing all marine life in that 1/3. It has been hypothesized that red tides caused by algal blooms fueled by ? might cause such a thing.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Oil naturally leaks into the ocean all the damn time....
How the hell did this made ATS front page news even without a hot-girl avatar...

5ft hose leaking oil would be a big deal in a small lake, compared with the vastness of the ocean is a mere microscopic pin prick!

"Poison the worlds oceans." pffft

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretstoshadow111

I am not trying to be harsh, however i have been fact checking for my collage for the last year.

It must be a pretty picture by now....did you spell check as well?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by aorAki]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niccawhois
Oil naturally leaks into the ocean all the damn time....
How the hell did this made ATS front page news even without a hot-girl avatar...

5ft hose leaking oil would be a big deal in a small lake, compared with the vastness of the ocean is a mere microscopic pin prick!

"Poison the worlds oceans." pffft

Oh ya, tell that to the entire southern coast along the gulf. The only prick I'm seeing here is you posting idiotic stuff, what are you like 14 yrs old or something.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Niccawhois

Pass the bong man, and load with whatever you're having! It's already caused a disaster down there and no end in sight!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join