It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GallopingFish

Thats actually a good question! I remember seeing the video ive posted below some time ago and i believe he mentions somthing about cleaning polluted water with fungi. Pretty interesting but i doubt they have any intentions of containing this. Someone will profit from this disaster

www.ted.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hey, there we go.

Loam is on the ball, I had some figures but I thought I would let someone else post them.

Sorry folks, oil is a natural product.

Supposedly, it has been around longer then humans and amazingly enough, the Earth is still here, as so are the fishes.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

A good portion of marine life either uses reefs or the shore as a part of their life cycle. The oil doesn't NEED to spread all over the world, just the shores, where it can interrupt probably 50-75% of marine lifecycles.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

right on hawkeye. i've been wondering the same thing for years. if ships can carry equipment to repurify their oil, then why not a big one. its probably easier to do with water.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

What an absurd thing to say. And left over the from antique ideas of the industrial time that it was there for us to use, why don't we use it.

Oil comes from pockets deep down in the Earth. Not lakes of it on top of the planet. Mercury and lead are also natural, as well as sulfuric acid, but very little life is immune to it. There is a reason the planet figured out how to tuck this stuff away.

Go ahead, keep trying to stick your head in the sand.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Of all industrial accidents, few are messier than oil spills. Floating booms can contain surface oil and keep it from spreading while it is picked up and recovered by giant vacuum cleaners. Straw filters can be used to pick up oil that makes its way into shallow waters. But scientists have been trying for years to develop more effective methods of dealing with spills. Now one team seems to have succeeded. General Electric announced last week that scientists at its Schenectady, N.Y., laboratories have created a microbe that can eat petroleum in quantity.

Environment: Oil-Eating Bug
may be they should use this,

"The bug that eats oil is the result of nearly six years of work by Ananda Chakrabarty, 41, an Indian-born microbiologist. Like most of his colleagues, Chakrabarty knew that at least four strains of the common pseudomonas bacteria contained enzymes that enabled them to break down different hydrocarbons—the major ingredients of oil. He combined these strains into what he describes as a "superbug" that can eat oil faster than any one of the four can individually".

www.time.com...

Read more: www.time.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

A good portion of marine life either uses reefs or the shore as a part of their life cycle. The oil doesn't NEED to spread all over the world, just the shores, where it can interrupt probably 50-75% of marine lifecycles.

Excellent point! I was thinking this also. We don't need to poison every gallon of ocean water to kill sea life. Just enough of it where the life congregates or passes through.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I did not say it was not bad, I said to not fall for propaganda meant to demonize private business.

I actually posted a thread about this awhile back.

Any catastrophe to further somenone's agenda is the SOP of government.

No head in sand here, but it seems others have their ears in the propaganda wind though.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well what ever caused this I think the people who own and run bp should have all assets seized now. To hell with their stock their company to hell with all of these companies. You know I have just about given up with the mentality of people anymore. If you can't do something responsibly dont do it at all. What the hell is money anyway, we cause the demand for oil, money and everything else. So it once again is us,we, to blame. We as a people could stop crap like this from happening, but we would rather sit and bitch about nobody doing anything, and then if someone does do something we call them a radical, a terrorist. God I'm happy I don't have a pistol permit, or a pistol.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Okay well it would first need to spread across the world before hitting every shore, correct? Not that I'm saying this isn't possible. It could very well do this.

The thing is, 706 million gallons of waste oil is spilled into the ocean each year, on average. We have yet to see all the marine life across the shores die off, even after a century plus of drilling.

Source

So why do people think this is going to be the event to cause such a thing

IF, 2.1 million gallons are being spilled each day, then it would take nearly a year to equal the average amount already spilled each year. IF, we couldn't find a way to plug this up, EVEN HYPOTHETICALLY after years of continuous spilling, would there be billions of barrels spewed out? NOBODY KNOWS, except top government officials and BP employees. Even then, they can only estimate the amount of oil under there.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Every human being in a civilized country uses something that was made from oil.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
the fact that this massive disaster happened means other human-induced disasters of similar or greater magnitude will continue to happen. each will likely have some aspect that is cumulative that will last a long time to influence the Earth in ways people can only pretend to understand.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

"Katy bar the door" means "watch out, big trouble is coming" or TSHTF imminently.

I agree with his statement. Most of the world's open oceans are relative deserts. Ocean life of all kinds depends on the shorelines, estuaries, marshes, deltas, barrier islands etc to procreate. Most species don't just lay eggs and spawn out in the middle of the ocean.

When I was a kid, living near Corpus Christi TX, we used a type of net called a "sein" to catch our bait for our frequent fishing trips. The trips usually involved just crossing some dunes and wading out into waist deep water after we caught bait. In our nets we would catch almost every type of big game species, in a tiny (fry) form. Even some deep sea species were all there developing in the marshes. We always let them go ASAP. This opened my eyes to what's at stake with polluting the shorelines.

We lived with tar balls and nasty tar polluted beaches for years after the spill from Ixtoc I. It was a mess. Imagine walking along in the surf and coming in with roofing tar all over your feet or clothes.

There is no way of knowing how bad this will get. If you try to minimize and you have no knowledge of marine ecology, I suggest you study up to see exactly how bad this can get.

This ecological nightmare breaks my heart, as I know it will any person who wanted to take care of our Earth.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

All of your math does not address the fact that the life that is killed off from this "spill" will have devastating impact on the food chain.

If that impact is great enough it can and likely will kill off a lot more sea life than you are aware of.

Maybe not all sea life, but we really don't know and there is no formula for that.

If you kill off enough life in the ocean it will remove a food source for a lot of other life, and that kind of cycle is sure to spread beyond the life that is directly affected by the oil.

How bad will it get?

No one knows for sure, no one can dismiss the impact of this with a calculator either.

Nature is entirely unpredictable and incredibly fragile.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Jimmyx

and how would you "drop" an explosive charge down a pipe with 70,000 pounds per square inch of pressure coming up the hole??

Ahhh hell lol you are right ! Geeze , very good point)

[edit on 2-5-2010 by bluemooone2]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

How do you think the marine life gets to the shores? Using the same transportation that the oil will.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7883c09707e.jpg[/atsimg]

Yes, oil is being poured into the ocean. And God knows what else. Environmentalists have been harping on it for years, on deaf ears.
It has already started killing off marine life. Now we are adding fuel to the fire.

So if the ocean is already getting saturated, any oil in the amount of millions is not going to help.

The stuff that you mention is coming off of land. But here we have a gusher that is filtering up 5,000 feet of water. That can't be good....

Especially when how they are going to plug it up is unknown, and in deep ocean, so will it work?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

So a company takes a massive gamble, to recover a fuel source from uncharted territory, and takes massive risks, and your trying to tie it to a government plot? When it is known that OIL companies are the demons of the planet? Yet you are trying to backpeddal and say that your against government slandering?

It would be one thing if this spill didn't happen, but your just trying to twist it into something it isn't.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
A Florida state biologist has already gone on record and said he expects this to find its' way to the Atlantic coastal areas, and EVEN into the St. John's river (which flows INTO the Atlantic!). Make no mistake, this is a disaster of unbelievable magnitude.

DRILL BABY DRILL (even though we already have 1000's of leased acres inland for exploration we are not using). Economy over environment: Yeah Baby, DRILL BABY DRILL!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Especially when how they are going to plug it up is unknown, and in deep ocean, so will it work?

The only real plan to stop this that is set in motion now is going to take a long time... They will try to plug it and that is likely going to fail, no matter how they go about it... The pressure that is forcing the oil out is too great now to overcome.

So they will have to drill a relief wellhead nearby, but it will take too long.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/349d9a1e4ed6.jpg[/atsimg]

2 to 3 months!

The rate in that graphic is conservative to newer estimates, which show much more flow per day than that.

How big will it be in 2 to 3 months?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Millions of gallons of oil may be dumped into the oceans every year...but this is all at once, isn't it reasonable to assume this would do way more damage? I could be wrong, just a thought.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join