It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I do have a few problems with this anonymous author's statements.

1) the rig did not collapse upon the hole.

2) BP has yet to precisely announce the size of the reserve, but the indications are that it is less than 100 million barrels. Given the experience of the Gulf War Spill of similar size, the ocean impact may be devastating to the North America, but I highly doubt it will affect ALL marine life in all of the oceans.

3) using a nuclear bomb seems like a ridiculous idea to me. What if it doesn't work? The only thing worse than an oil spill is a radioactive oil spill.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth

pesn.com

Imagine a pipe 5 feet wide spewing crude oil like a fire hose from what could be the planets' largest, high-pressure oil and gas reserve. With the best technology available to man, the Deepwater Horizon rig popped a hole into that reserve and was overwhelmed. If this isn't contained, it could poison all the oceans of the world.

"Well if you say the fire hose has a 70,000 psi pump on the other end yes! No comparison here. The volume out rises geometrically with pressure. Its a squares function. Two times the pressure is 4 times the push. The Alaska pipeline is 4 feet in d
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-5-2010 by hawkiye]

I read that article and I researched what was written and that person who wrote that up is correct. For one they never said what made the platform blowup, except for "equipment failure". Which is true if you look at this from the article:

"First, the BP platform was drilling for what they call deep oil. They go out where the ocean is about 5,000 feet deep and drill another 30,000 feet into the crust of the earth. This it right on the edge of what human technology can do. Well, this time they hit a pocket of oil at such high pressure that it burst all of their safety valves all the way up to the drilling rig and then caused the rig to explode and sink. Take a moment to grasp the import of that. The pressure behind this oil is so high that it destroyed the maximum effort of human science to contain it."

Read the full article, because I have a strange feeling that the govt. (which had secret documents on the spill) and BP are hiding the fact that this spill may be enough to kill of not only life in the gulf, but in majority of the worlds ocean.

pesn.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Who is to say the eco-Nazis didnt get more than they bargained for when they blew this puppy up. Maybe they were only expecting some relatively small leak to be produced. A leak just big enough to scare the citizens into banning new oil drilling.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The source of the OP mentions an opening vent of 5 feet. To my knowledge this is wrong: the vent measures 10 cm, about 4 inch. There is pressure, and so it is spewing oil. 800 m3 every 24 hours. Times 90 days (for drilling the bypass) this doesn't make up the biggest oily-event, but still big enough, 72 thousand m3.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Spinoza73]

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Spinoza73]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spinoza73
The source of the OP mentions an opening vent of 7 feet. To my knowledge this is wrong: the vent measures 10 cm, about 4 inch. There is pressure, and so it is spewing oil. 800,000 m3 every 24 hours. Times 90 days (for drilling the bypass) this doesn't make up the biggest oily-event, but still big enough 72 million m3.
\

I read five feet?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Anyone who uses oil is to blame for this .If you drive,consume ,buy,travel,eat,etc ,YOU are to blame .Go and live in a cave until the last drop is gone and then you can come out and start again.Not possible?What a mess we have created, not only this spill but the Whole friggen planet.

..and of course, anyone who uses anything made of plastic.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I cant believe what our world has become. All these crisis have latley making me ill. Kudos on the thread. Ill keep in touch with the issue. Flag my into thread please?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Has anyone bothered to investigate whether or not oil seeps from the ocean floors NATURALLY.

I would do some research on that scenario and maybe, just maybe this is just another sensationalist piece.

As for motor oil, motor oil, specifically used motor oil.

Now, crude oil is not as bad as motor oil.

I would give you some links, but I feel if I did, people would say it was propaganda. Do some research into it yourselves and quit the hysteria.

Yes, it will hurt the environment, not as bad as some are trying to make it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
It's time to protest against the Oil Giants by not using your cars!!!

Did you hear that fly fart ?

Take care.

Regards
Lee

Sorry... i don't get that one.... i know a lot of flies die hitting cars everyday, is it something to do with that?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sterlingda
I'm the one who published this story that was linked here by hawkye.

Per some input here at ATS, I've added this to the story opening: "In calculating the gallons required to kill the oceans, remember that oil goes to the surface, where life is concentrated."

I also added a reference regarding toxic concentrations of oil in water.

-- Sterling

You might also add a note to reference the Ixtoc 1 oil rig that exploded in the Gulf in 1979 .

It leaked for 8 months, at a rate higher than the current spill - and despite being the second largest oil spill in history (behind the Gulf War), somehow managed to NOT kill all life in the oceans.

The current situation is bad enough without fearmongering.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Why can't the *SNIP* pump molten lead down into the damn pipe using a pressurized feed?!

Damn, aren't these people intelligent?

easy as cake man. assemble, energize, melt, insert in pipe, energize, support...

done. GGGRRR!!... [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/128fc25fe2b7.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-5-2010 by alien]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This really is an aweful accident, that goes without saying.

This is nowhere near the WORST oil-related accident in recent history. Unless this reserve ends up being ridiculously large, and no solution is put into action, then it will eventually fade into memory, much as exxon-valdez has.

Again, I'm not trying to say this is some forgettable event, and the ecological repercussions will be tragic. I am only trying to curb some hysteria, because this will NOT be the end of life in our oceans. It will not be the end of life in the Gulf, and it certainly will not be the end of human-caused oil spills.

For those comparing the toxicity of crude oil to motor oil, you are ignoring science. Crude oil is by no means healthy to an ocean and its surrounding ecosystem(s), but it is much less toxic than its refined counter-part, motor oil.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Ive been thinking about how to stop this and I believe I have a way. Drop a very big explosive down into it and detonate in at say 1/4 mile deep . That should cave the ocean floor into it and seal it. Maybe even deeper so that the oil would not seep upwards.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by bluemooone2]

and how would you "drop" an explosive charge down a pipe with 70,000 pounds per square inch of pressure coming up the hole??

link   
The Hollow earth people will shut this thing off soon enough. They are a little pissed right now having to deal with this huge pipe lambasting it's way through their ceiling.

In all seriousness.......the scientific idiots that think they know it all are clueless as to how to stop this. They remind of the clueless doctors that think they have everything figured out when it comes to things like cancer and cholesterol. Human arrogance is to blame for this mess. Nothing else.

BP assets should be nationalized and they should go bankrupt paying for this mess. This will not destroy the world's oceans but it will decimate a good portion of the Gulf and tourism this summer will be bad bad bad! FL is going to take a hit with tourism and their economy will suffer immensely from this crap hole.

link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Figures are per year.

NASA Link.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Another risk arises because according to reports the crew was cementing the exterior of the casing when this happens. As a result, the well, if this was not properly completed, could begin to blow outside the casing. Another possible scenario is a sea floor collapse. If that happens Katie bar the door.

What does he mean bar the door someone explain this quote please A S A P

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
reply to post by antonia

Im certain we would create a filter, move fish into lakes, make safe zones if the shtf

You mean TPTB would do this for themsellves? The ones that have cast webs everywhere so you could not live without their fossil fuels in the world. Go live in a cave as one person wrote? You'd kids would be taken away and put in foster homes, some of which are actually M'Kutra type programs.

Do you not understand anything yet? Nor should ordinary people allow them to make us wear the karma for their slavery and abuse and exhortion of us.

In short, they will keep things for themselves, but will not share. Also, the dolphins and whales are being murdered now. Its heart wrenching beyond belief.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GallopingFish
Is there Some kind of bacteria or orginism that eats oil and processes it into something non lethal?
Is there something like that or am i just watching to much television???

yes there is.

But I doubt they would grow fast enough to contain such a spill.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

and if no one else has mentioned it, the hopi indians say amongst other things that the sea will turn black. spot on! they also say the last thing man will do is put a house in space. it certainly seems like the end times.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
with British Petroleum and other companies the liability is transferred down to the specific company digging the well. Based on my personal experience working for Halliburtan subsidiaries in the Fort McMurray Oilsands I can tell you the Royal families and Rothschilds who control BP will pay nothing. The few million dollars in liability insurance to be paid out for this alledged accident will obviously not dent the pocketbooks of any of the principle owners up the feeding chain. These people lay-off workers who complain or get hurt on the job. In this culture of voluntary prison I found in five years of exposure that only the ones who join the, dare I say, freemasons are the ones who get promoted. The same process of keeping employees afraid and compartmentalized in the USA oilfields is identical to the Candian system; our infrastructure is identical in fact; and so are the industrial procedures.
Therefore I can tell you from the pipefitter point of view that this will now be turned into an opportunity to close production facilities in the Gulf & Texas so other 'friends' who own refineries and wells elsewhere can let a little oil flow out. These parasites covet only money and if you or I have compassion there is no advancement up the chain to the sychophants that run operations on the corporat level.
...In the context of a deep well blowout then...go to the Library of Congress.Find out the registered CEO of BP. Track this link to London and lay the faces of the grieving families right on the desk of this Grand Visir--Evylyn Rothschild..the buck stops right there with the owners of the City of London, Virginia Company and the Vatakin...None of these parasites will offer a dollar to assit the people now of course; while stooges like Obama use the situation to do as freemasons do by calling for 'marduk-martial law'.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join