It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Ive been thinking about how to stop this and I believe I have a way. Drop a very big explosive down into it and detonate in at say 1/4 mile deep . That should cave the ocean floor into int and seal it. Maybe even deeper so that the oil would not seep upwards.

and then we create bigger problem like earthquakes. before you know it we kick start all the 2012 prophecies

+14 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Woa there, buddy.

If it takes 1 quart of oil to turn 250,000 gallons of water into toxic uninhabitable waste, then it would take over 343 trillion gallons of oil to pollute the whole oceans.

There are 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 gallons of water in the oceans.

Source

4 quarts in a gallon. So a gallon of oil would produce 1,000,000 gallons of uninhabitable waste.

This means we just take off six zeros to figure how many gallons of oil it would take.

sextillion > quadrillion > trillion.

343 trillion gallons of oil would need to spill to make all the oceans toxic.

I think we're in the clear here.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Its our own bloody fault. If the governments of the World actually stopped this disgusting Money Greed Fest, then we would not have to rely on drilling holes in our planets skin.

It's deserved, long overdue, and I hope this actually teaches everyone a good lesson, one they will never forget.

Now, can we concentrate on other energy types?

+10 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

So, in your esteemed opinion, just killing some of the oceans is okay? How much as you comfortable with? Why don't you tell that to all of the fishermen who are out of work? It's sickening how many people here are trying to make out that this is a total non-issue.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
reply to post by antonia

Im certain we would create a filter, move fish into lakes, make safe zones if the shtf

Yeah I was thinking of something like this also, why can't we create a filter and suck up the oil right out of the ocean and separate it and put the water back in. Surely we have the technology or capabilities to create it and why hasn't it been created and used already?

I imagine a giant vacuum like hose sucking up the spill filtering the oil out and putting the water back in the ocean on the other end at some point. Barges standing by to offload the oil.

+19 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

STOP PUTTING WORDS INTO MY MOUTH, MEMBERS OF ATS..

Just because I inject some logic into these irrational topics, does not mean I don't feel for the tremendous catastrophe taking place.

Assumptions are for the ignorant.

Deny Ignorance, ATS members.

Thank you !!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Good math! I agree to a point, however as for being in the clear I don't think it is as black and white as all that. Just killing off a large part of ocean life can have all kinds of repercussions on the entire ocean we are not aware of. And could start some sort of chain reaction that ends up killing off the entire ocean.

By the way I did not say I agree with the how one quart can make 250 thousand and some odd gallons toxic I was just quoting the article I don't know if that's true or not

I think we're far from in the clear, however I do think the earth is much more resilient then we giver her credit for. Still this is really a tragedy as at the least it is going to destroy the ocean eco system for miles around and on shore on the gulf coast also. Not to mention all the people it will put out of work etc.

link   
reply to post by hawkiye

This is a biblical prophecy comming true. The attempt of man to fix this problem when they knew before drilling that if something went wrong , it would be unfixable, is mans greed comming home to roost. as we cannot cap a volcano, we cannot cap a well with the pressures incured here. The attempt to place a funnel over this well is laughable givven the currents and preassure. The shut off safty valve DID start closing but as in the alaska pipeline, moveing hot oil is like sandpaper that litteraly sands the pipe till it gets thin [as we have seen in alaska] so the valves did start to close-however the heat-pressure and particles in the oil litterally sanded the steal away faster then it could close---now its runaway forever. Watch they will try to implode the well with explosives and will cause many leaks--my prediction

link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Back during the embargo/oil crisis in the 70's, there was all kinds of talk about new energy sources, concern for the environment, smaller cars became more popular, the maximum speed limit was 55 mph, people turned unnecessary lights out, and we were going to end our dependence on foreign oil.

That was one of those "warning shot" moments you get in life where you narrowly miss a disaster, realize you are getting another chance, and need to make a drastic change.

We did just the opposite.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
No need to 'suck up' the oil, its rising anyway! it needs to be 'corralled' and then pumped into tankers.
Seems to me BP does not have any 'what if' plans, just make it up as they go along.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by hawkiye

Woa there, buddy.

If it takes 1 quart of oil to turn 250,000 gallons of water into toxic uninhabitable waste, then it would take over 343 trillion gallons of oil to pollute the whole oceans.

Source

4 quarts in a gallon. So a gallon of oil would produce 1,000,000 gallons of uninhabitable waste.

This means we just take off six zeros to figure how many gallons of oil it would take.

Is there any way to know the quantity of water in the Gulf of Mexico ?

link   

Originally posted by Wobbly Anomaly

Originally posted by warpcrafter
This should be the lead story on all three of the big cable news channels, but they don't even seem to be aware of it. CNN is still obsessing on that Times Square car-bomb that didn't even explode!

You mean the -ahem- car bomb that was designed to distract attention from this ?

I'm not sure if its the 'done' thing quoting yourself, but ive just been watching the news here in the UK. The oil spill is 3rd, behind snooker fixing and the car bomb.

I guess if the news that BP were going to have to pay for this was the top story, then BP shares would be loosing even more value

link   
reply to post by time91

If 1/3 of the life in the ocean dies then it will be time to start tracing prophecy in the modern day.

My thoughts exactly. Most sites claim this will be through an asteroid which poisons the oceans. Perhaps not so!

books.google.ca...

Destruction of a third of the shipping could also refer to lost economy.

I hope the dolphins are saying "thank you for all the fish" and are being rescued by the benevolants!

removed busted link - stretching page

[edit on 3/5/10 by masqua]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

reply to post by warpcrafter

STOP PUTTING WORDS INTO MY MOUTH, MEMBERS OF ATS..

Just because I inject some logic into these irrational topics, does not mean I don't feel for the tremendous catastrophe taking place.

Assumptions are for the ignorant.

Deny Ignorance, ATS members.

Thank you !!

So you consider this an irrational topic? Really? Or are you just saying in general with MOST of the topics you post about? If you don't want people to jump to conclusions here is a hint: Be more clear on what you are trying to say. If you are basing your theories on logic than it is flawed. Do you not understand that waters churn...they don't just stay still. They actually move. Can you imagine if it starts cycling and recycling itself into the mississippi??? Not really any of us can.

+2 more 
posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

Woa there, buddy.

Source

I don't think you factor in that you don't need to take into account ALL the water in the Ocean. Oil floats and there are distinct layers of water and streams in the Oceans. As oil floats, it spreads easily and therefore can poison all of the oceans over time, certainly the top few layers that we fish.

www.seasky.org...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

This is some funked up poo poo (yes had to use the word poo)... seriously though this is where the Oilgarch's of this World need to do something and quick... i wonder if there are any on boards like this right now discussing what can be done!!

We have enough natural disaster's as it is without the need for Human intervention.

This is what happens when you don't take into account things you thought you knew everything about but on this one you got it wrong.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Good math!

Thank you.

I agree to a point, however as for being in the clear I don't think it is as black and white as all that. Just killing off a large part of ocean life can have all kinds of repercussions on the entire ocean we are not aware of. And could start some sort of chain reaction that ends up killing off the entire ocean.

Well, let's say an ungodly amount of oil is pulled out of this area, just for the sake of discussion. Say 343 billion gallons. That's .1% of the water potentially turned into toxic waste. I think it would take quite a bit more to reach this tipping point you talk about. Already, there's 706 million gallons poured into the oceans each year, on average !!

I think we're far from in the clear, however I do think the earth is much more resilient then we giver her credit for. Still this is really a tragedy as at the least it is going to destroy the ocean eco system for miles around and on shore on the gulf coast also. Not to mention all the people it will put out of work etc.

Stating we're in the clear was in the context of how this topic, and your post was worded. The title states "Mother of all Gushers could Kill all Earth's Oceans. I stand by my statement, we're in the clear here.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
sounds like we got ourselves into a real mess this time...how are they going to fix this one???? but hind sight is always 20 20 maybe we will learn something from all of this...kind of puts the valdeez oil spill to shame huh....guess we should all buy stock in dawn dish soap...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I came across this last night; this thread has an oceanic current chart to investigate where the slicked water will go. It looks like south, along South America. add - after circulating awhile in the Gulf.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Is there Some kind of bacteria or orginism that eats oil and processes it into something non lethal?
Is there something like that or am i just watching to much television???

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join