It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
So apparently this was the "Deepwater Horizon", which is a massive rig. And I'm thinking, that this was in the "Atlantis" oil field.
wikipedia says

The Atlantis oil field is the third largest oil field in the Gulf of Mexico. The field was discovered in 1998 and is located in US federal waters about 130 miles (210 km) from the coast of Louisiana in 6,500 feet (2,000 m) of water. It has estimated ultimate reserves of about 600 million barrels (95 million m³). The British energy company BP owns a 56% interest in the field in conjunction with BHP Billiton Petroleum Deepwater which owns a 44 percent interest.

[1] The field is expected to produce about 200,000 barrels (32,000 m³) of oil per day and 180 million cubic feet (5,100,000 m3) of gas per day starting in the second half of 2007. [2] The oil field was discovered in 1998 by the Ocean America semi-submersible, mobile drilling rig operating in a water depth of 1870 meters.

The Atlantis field has been developed with a semisubmersible production platform, designed by GVA and built by DSME, South Korea.

The subsea elements of the Atlantis field were designed and fabricated by PS Fabricators. It is one of the largest to undergo SIT (systems integration testing) on land, also at PS Fabricators SIT site. This includes positioning the components as they would be positioned subsea, pressure testing, pig testing, etc. The system itself is rigorously tested to ensure its safety subsea.

can anyone confirm this?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Seems correct to me.

More info

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

biyin,
dont know how much water there is in the gulf but this article questions the long term environmental impact of spilled oil.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
www.rense.com...

The Oil Mess - The Takedown Of World Economy?

The above is a portion of the full article that can be read in full at the above link. (hope someone else has not done this yet, i could not check all pages).
if this is factual, then not only the worlds oceans are at risk. oxygen anyone?

"12 days into the oil rig 'accident' events continue to evolve and weather is slowing down efforts to contain things, we have two interesting items to report that are not in the MSM yet...OK, three then.

1. We have heard that a supply ship arrived just before the explosions and it was reported to be 'manned by all new people, nobody aboard was from the 'usual supply crew'. This purported industry source continues: there were a total of 14 explosions and these could have been cutting charges. Moreover, the shut off valve below the surface (5000 feet down) on the seabed is not longer controllable. Still, lots of disinfo and speculation scampering around the netosphere. While this is bad, it gets worse.

2. A reader who is an engineer of considerable experience says watch this --------------"

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
My heart is breaking. There is more to this and I don't know how to explain what I mean. Im not talking about any cover up's or half information shared. Only one other time did I get this feeling, although it's not so much a feeling in the pit of my stomach as it is a fact....like I said, not sure how to explain it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth
So apparently this was the "Deepwater Horizon", which is a massive rig. And I'm thinking, that this was in the "Atlantis" oil field.
wikipedia says

can anyone confirm this?

Yes, Wikipedia is right about Atlantis. No, the Atlantis field is not the field that the Deepwater Horizon was drilling in. Deepwater Horizon was in Mississippi Canyon block 252 (the Macondo field or prospect); The Atlantis field is in Green Canyon with the Atlantis Semisubmersible rig in GC block 787. They are a long ways from each other.

Atlantis info

There are a lot more rigs and platforms out there than you might think. Thousands of platforms, hundreds of rigs. (Most of the rigs are jackup rigs, not semis.)

[edit on 3-5-2010 by zeropistons]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by zeropistons

Thank you for that info. I can't seem to find a source as to the size of the Mississippi Canyon feild. Is there an estimate on the amount of barrels in that area?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
you on about the beast with seven heads ten horns rising from the sea revelations lol

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bear Creek
www.sciencedaily.com...

I found your link to be very interesting. Even arsenic in small doses is not fatal like one large dose would be. I think that's the difference.

Twice an Exxon Valdez spill worth of oil seeps into the Gulf of Mexico every year, according to a new study that will be presented January 27 at the Ocean Sciences Meeting in San Antonio, Texas.

Oil that finds its way to the surface from natural seeps gets broken down by bacteria and ends up as carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Compare to another ScienceDaily article from 2007:

Oil from the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill persists in an only slightly weathered form below the surface at some beaches along the Gulf of Alaska after 16 years and may persist for decades, researchers have concluded in a new report...

Earlier research demonstrated that buried oil could retain toxic components for years if buried in anoxic (oxygen-depleted) sediments where little decomposition from weathering occurs. The new study identified a different mechanism in which oil can be preserved in sediments that do contain oxygen. The oil persists because it exists in a thick, emulsified form sometimes termed "oil mousse" that resists weathering.

www.sciencedaily.com...

It would appear that oil is like diamonds...it's forever.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth
reply to post by zeropistons

Thank you for that info. I can't seem to find a source as to the size of the Mississippi Canyon feild. Is there an estimate on the amount of barrels in that area?

From the same industry site:

"BP has not said how much oil is beneath the seabed the Deepwater Horizon rig was tapping when it exploded. However, a company official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed reports that it was tens of millions of barrels. Fryar said any numbers being thrown out are just estimates at best."

Macondo Project update

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Yes, there's still over 2 billion barrels in that area. I haven't a clue how to discern how much could gush out from this one location, though.

2,173 million, as of 2006.

This amount covers 33 active oil fields, and 7 inactive.

Page 16

[edit on 3-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
One thing if this oil slick gets worse it might effect the weather ,and water supply clouds are formed from the sea,not to metion if a third of sea life dies in this ocean its prophecy.
This in short, will disrupt the weather, the agricultural output, the economy and the physical welfare of the whole human race.
if its true 3 mths to stop ,we are screwed

[edit on 3-5-2010 by onecon]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Next question I have...

How much of this will degrade naturally? This isn't like processed motor oil we're talking about here.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Saw this and had to post it for everyone, such a great idea!

matteroftrust.org...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The MSM really pisses me off on this one. NYTimes uses this www.nytimes.com... as a "comparable event", which took 295 days to cap. Well guess what? That wellhead breach was in 150 feet of water-- not the 5000 feet faced currently. If it took 295 days to cap in 150 feet of water, a breach that is only a fraction of what is broken at 5,000 feet today, and also didn't have a 1,100 foot inverted oil rig sitting on top of it, what is a realistic estimate of when anything will possibly be done for this disaster. Ugh.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
INTRESTINGLY!!! just 12 hours ago.. we got this..

Alleged NASA ~affiliateed AST deciphers 'intelligence'

hmmm.. intrestingly enough.. it's just a coincedence..

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
INTRESTINGLY!!! just 12 hours ago.. we got this..

Alleged NASA ~affiliateed AST deciphers 'intelligence'

hmmm.. intrestingly enough.. it's just a coincedence..

May I ask what that has to do with anything? Because all I see is a completely off topic post... what does that thread have to do with this oil disaster at all?

And I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but you may want to spell check next time before posting - and I mean that in a kind way, I'm not trying to belittle you.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

He probably had multiple windows open and posted in the wrong thread. At least that's my guess. Otherwise I have no clue how the 2 are related.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

My guess would be that he was saying that this was to draw attention away from the oil spill. Just as others have said the New York Car Bomb scare was as well.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DARIU5
reply to post by Komodo

My guess would be that he was saying that this was to draw attention away from the oil spill. Just as others have said the New York Car Bomb scare was as well.

Yeah but that thread was made by an ATSer - it wasn't something from the news like the NY car bomb. Literally a friend of the person from ATS fed them the info about this signal so I don't see how that could be to try to get peoples attention off of the oil spill; it would only effect people on these forums, not the population of the planet (unless in the highly unlikely event that it goes public for some reason).

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join