It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I was reading last night that there could be 200,000 barrels a day leaking.How could this be getting worst as each day goes by,it started at 1000 barrels a day.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by icybluebeing

Now there are three breeches. It's spewing from three different spots now.

AAC

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If nothing else works to stop this Gulf oil leak soon, what about the use of a multi-multi-bunker-busting "deep earth penetrating" navy or air force bomb to be used to cause the earth to collapse around this oil leaking pipe "deep below" the Gulf's rocky bottom ? Would this bombing cause a partial and temporary seal of this oil leak by allowing the weight of the earth to be used to seal this oil leak, until a better seal could be made later ( several or more probably many months later ) ? Or maybe nuke it to fix it ?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So long......

And thanks for all the fish............

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by trader21

To quote myself, I think this is the only feasible solution, but I think it is so dangerous they won't try it for weeks! Here is part of my post from earlier:

The only hope here is to tap into the existing drill holes/leaks and somehow corral the crude and harvest it as planned. Or, collapse the 10's of thousands of feet of drilling tubing that was originally sealing the reservoir in. Collapsing a significant amount of that tube with an explosive to create more positive pressure, drive back the crude and seawater and then create a vacuum space where the tube can collapse, seems like the best possible solution, but there is always the fear of creating a larger leak, or an underground fire!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Couldn't of said it better myself friend, and to believer81, its been proved on here and many other sites numerous times in the past that there are cleaner, safer alternatives to oil; Tesla proved that over a hundred years ago. TPTB want you to believe oil is the only way.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
NO MATTER what their fix is for this it will be a bandaid at best. The damage is done if a hurricane comes through anytime this summer it will be a total loss the oil will be on every beach from the source to way up the east coast. This event is right at the crossroad of many ocean currents.
all sea life will be dead or dieing this makes a huge oil spill look like a drop in a bucket.
jobs will be lost for years
industry will crash
i have read you can smell the oil in downtown New Orleans?

Not good news only bad to follow....

Be Well

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer

Originally posted by 12voltz
Anyone who uses oil is to blame for this .If you drive,consume ,buy,travel,eat,etc ,YOU are to blame .Go and live in a cave until the last drop is gone and then you can come out and start again.Not possible?What a mess we have created, not only this spill but the Whole friggen planet.

You're typing on a keyboard and using a mouse RIGHT NOW made of petroleum product, by a process fueled by petroleum products, and that's just scratching the surface of what petroleum products YOU are using.

Don't throw stones if your own house is made of glass

Im not throwing stones, just throwing up.I didnt claim to be oil free ,as you can see i said "what a mess WE have created " including me .maybe read the post instead of just looking at it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
Time for a little math.

Assuming, as the article states, it takes one quart of oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water "toxic:"

There are about 360,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the oceans. That would take 1,440,000,000,000,000 quarts of oil to make it all "toxic." That's 8,571,428,570,000 barrels of oil. Assuming the well is leaking 25,000 barrels a day, it would take 342,857,143 days to leak that much oil. That's 939,335 years.

You need to redo your math taking into account that the oil goes to the surface where the life is. So rather than enough oil to saturate the entire body of water, you need to calculate how much oil it would take to poison the top layer.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeropistons

Originally posted by N.of norml
I did not read all 14 pages of this thread so if this has been said already delete.
All this will take is to maneuver a deep well exploratory ship to the site and side hole the well. A new well head is established and the old is pumped full of concrete. At least that is how nearly all well head failures are handled. I guess the main thing is to put down equipment that will handle the pressures involved.
A BOV that will handle 70000psi may require some new tech. But capping a sidehole with an unbroken well head is much more possible than closing a broken pipe.
N.

The Developmental Driller III is on location now, I believe. What you stated is pretty much the plan that I've heard.

Here are some references I found.

Picture becoming clearer on BP Deepwater Horizon incident - BP said on Sunday that the GSF Development Driller II will drill a second relief well on the Mississippi Canyon 252 block. GSF Development Driller III spudded the first relief well on May 2. Discoverer Enterprise, also on location will work on containment. Oil flows from the end of the riser, the end of the drill pipe and a crack in the riser. BP sheared off the drill pipe and will install a valve in the next one or two days. This will stop one of the three  leaks. (Gerson Lehrman Group; May 3, 2010)

BP spuds relief well - BP said it spud the first of two planned relief wells to intervene in the Macondo exploration well that is leaking an estimated 5000 barrels per day into the US Gulf. The effort is expected to take at between two and three months, Suttles confirmed. (Upstream Online; May 3, 2010)

Don't forget the sand and grit eating at stuff while they work on this. Blowout is still a very real possibility. That is where the 5-foot plus opening with 70,000 psi behind it become relevant and very scary.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sterlingda

Originally posted by nataylor
Time for a little math.

Assuming, as the article states, it takes one quart of oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water "toxic:"

There are about 360,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in the oceans. That would take 1,440,000,000,000,000 quarts of oil to make it all "toxic." That's 8,571,428,570,000 barrels of oil. Assuming the well is leaking 25,000 barrels a day, it would take 342,857,143 days to leak that much oil. That's 939,335 years.

You need to redo your math taking into account that the oil goes to the surface where the life is. So rather than enough oil to saturate the entire body of water, you need to calculate how much oil it would take to poison the top layer.

For whoever is interested, I did this already on page 10. The reasoning is shortened out because the original 343 trillion was figured out on page 2.

Post on Page 10

Post on Page 2

[edit on 3-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
I wonder why an episode like this did not make the "It Could Happen Tomorrow" series?

Hasn't the possibility always been there? Was it too dark to acknowledge?

best post I've seen so far

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sterlingda

Wow Thanks! The 2nd link offers a wealth of info and in depth analysis of efforts.

Best source I've read yet. Nice find.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I found this Utube video animation that shows how the well is leaking .

fixed vid

[edit on 3/5/10 by masqua]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Why so melodramatic? What need to do is get to work. I'll be looking into jobs myself. This can be contained, and hopefully a real lesson is learned and applied by this disaster.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Threadfall
reply to post by Haydn_17

Why so melodramatic?

Are you joking? Who knows how many thousands of marine life have been killed already (or more) and how many million(s) are/will be effected in total because of this. If there is a time for concern, it is right now, period.

If it takes them 2 months+ to fix this, the damage will be unfathomable... and as someone mentioned what if a hurricane sweeps up this oil? I live on the East coast, and if I go to Jersey shore or to Maryland to enjoy the beach the last thing I want to do is swim around in some oil or look at all the dead animals that were swept up onto the beach (not to mention the oil laden sand)...

Not to mention all the people out of a job right now, and how long that may stay that way, and how this will effect the price of oil as well... this is just really, really bad

[edit on 3/5/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
this is a absolute disaster

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Spill could turn out to be 45 times as large as Exxon within 90 days !

www.balloon-juice.com...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Wobbly Anomaly]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Great Vid...
simplified so most anyone can understand..
Any chance I can get you to post it on my thread too?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I don't want to take credit for you hard work...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I think the Military could plug this hole right away.

Take a defunct submarine and drive it full speed into the hole. As the engines are running full tilt, use barges with fast-set cement and a dumper box with a VERY long cable to release the cement all around the submarine. Evacuate the sub and open the ports and fill with more cement.

This needs to be treated as an emergency -- not the typical CYA as seen after all corporate pollution mess ups.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join