It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foul: Football, FIFA, Sepp Blatter and global corruption.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
"The amount of times the Football watching community has said they want Instant Replays brought in, Ive lost count!"

It won't happen because it is a lot easier to fix and control a game if just one person on the pitch (referee) has control over the entire game. It is much easier and safer to control and influence one person than it is to control many people.

Speaking of rigged soccer (or should I say football) tournaments, why do you think lowly Greece won the Euro Cup Championship in 2004? I am sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics being held in Greece several months later that year. Of course, there are the morons who don't know the game very well who think that the German coach hired by the Greeks was the difference.

By the way, after that win, the Greek Football program has gone back into the tank. Gee, what a surprise.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
"And why must "sport" always have a quasi-moral image - lots of academic students use performance enhancing substances?"

This is what you call a smokescreen. They keep the public image of the game clean, while all the dirty dealings go on behind the scenes.

"Football is ment to be about bringing communitys together. Bringing the whole international community together, to promote friendly sportsman like competition and skill."

Football is very easy to rig, not only because there is one individual who controls the entire game, but because the fans are very emotionally charged, connecting their team to their country. This makes most fans blind to the shenanigans which go on behind the scenes. I think the term is "blind patriotism".

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Yeah, the issue of steroid abuse is also a major sports related factor.
The missuse of banned substances effects the game and diffrent sports in a number of ways.
The Olympics, every Summer games theres always an incident in the paper.
Be it from using banned sub-stances to actually 'dope'ing' a sports star so that they may fail a drugs test.
This, to me is a scary aspect of sport.
Imagine being a Athleat who has trainned everyday, yet somebody spikes your drink/food because you refused to take a dive/bribe.

Bit off topic, but related to substance testing, Look at the way the Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jnr wants Olympic standerd testing if he was to have a fight with Manny Paquio (s.p?)

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

A lot of the suspected bribes, I belive are taken by the goal keepers.
Thats all it takes is for them to just miss the ball or throw the ball into the net.

But related to Brazil a few years back, I remmember reading a story about how some key players were bribed, yet when they lost, the suspected players showed no emotion and apparently had new cars etc. (although, we see footballers with new cars all the time, hence the weak claim of bribes.)

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Or take the case of Caster Semenya.
Obviously our ASA officails tried to cheat and took an intersex girl (who is female but also has internal testes).
I think for example in women's sports, one way of cheating was to smuggle in intersex women. But what is male, female of intersex? While male sport reinforces gender dichotomy, female sport may undermine it.

The latest on Caster? www.nowpublic.com...

[edit on 2-5-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Yes, it is a knopwn fact that all "ball sports" team owners are "Knights of Malta", freemasons. They all sit down and figure out who will win in the end to fix the betting on games and such. It is all a scam, most players are manipulated to throw games or do stupid crap during a game to create chaos. Sad really, I watch the local high school sports only. Everything else SUCKS!!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I was just on the wiki entry for (Joseph) Sepp Blatter.
en.wikipedia.org...
Rather strangely it includes:

In the early 1970s, Blatter was elected president of the World Society of Friends of Suspenders, an organisation who tried to stop women replacing suspender belts with pantyhose.[2][3][4]

Say what?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I just saw some material from a disputed Kings vs. Lakers basketball game, and along with a U-tubed series of material called "The greatest tragedy in sport" it's very concerning.
www.youtube.com...

I've always seen sports as diversions from "real" issues, but now I think they are typifying of political issues, and in the vangaurd of social issues.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Aside from the gambling aspect, how much in merchandise sales do the famous Los Angeles Lakers contribute to the league compared to the relatively unknown Sacramento Kings? Of course it was in the NBA's best interests for the series to be extended one more game.

Yeah, 27 free throws in the 4th Quarter! That amount of foul shots is rather high for one game, let alone one Quarter. That game was a complete bag job. Everybody knew it and few said anything about it because they are being fed by the same monster.

What conclusion do you draw about professional sports when you have both Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky, two of the best players to play in their respective sports, involved in gambling scandals? Contrary to most fans' unrealistic beliefs, professional sports do not exist in some fantasy world bubble where it is not susceptible to corruption and tampering.

Sports is an entertainment business, and just like all other forms of the entertainment industry, it is pre-scripted. Is there any wording on the ticket which you purchase to attend the sporting event which states the game is NOT fixed?

Granted, professional sports is a little more sophisticated than fake wrestling, but at the end of the day, there isn't much difference between wrestling and any of these other so-called sports. The spirit of competition will always take a back seat to the money.

Aside from some ring and some bonus chump change, the players make the same amount of money win or lose. In other words, the system is designed to be rigged and to keep all those involved quiet.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by SphinxMontreal]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

FIFA merchandising is quite an issue here at present. www.footballiscominghome.net...
It became particularly relevant when it was revealed that the dolls of the 2010 mascot, Zakumi, were made in a Chinese sweatshop (despite our high local unemployment figures of about 40%).
Zakumi memorabilia is extremely expensive, and the offical shirts are R850! No wonder fake merchandise is streaming in from the same direction.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by itsblownbackbaby

I have felt for a long time they need to have something like a maximum of 3 timeouts a game to review plays like american football does. too much # doesnt get called or gets called incorrectly and it ruins it for everyone.

I completely agree, and better yet how about instead of timeouts, which I think everyone hates, they simply put 2 or 3 more refs on the field. There is no way one person on the pitch can see everything that happens during a match. Look at basketball, they play on a court less than 4 times the size of a soccer field and have 2 more refs! Three refs would solve most of the bad calls and conspiracies that go along with having just one ref does. Although, admittedly this doesn’t fix the horrendous offside calls by the line judges, but it does get rid of most of the acting/fake flops to get a free kick.

I am not buying the whole paying off teams, like Brazil, or so Italy can win and help Europe. Don't any of you know how much it would mean for every single player to win the World Cup? They would be national heroes for life, bank in endorsement deals, sign bigger contracts with their current clubs, or even get transferred to bigger clubs. There is no way they are going to throw a game and lose out on becoming World Cup champions.

Over a billion people watch the final game, who knows what % of the total population of the world watches just one game in the World Cup. The broadcasting and advertising rights to each country must rake in the dough for everyone. The World Cup spreads the advertiser’s messages so much better than any other event in history.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

I knew FIFA was crooked when at the UEFA cup (Germany and Spain), they showed the cup....festooned with SPAINS COLORS!!!

Germany couldnt move with out getting a foul.

The "beauful game" has been corrupted. Damn shame.

Euro 2008. UEFA Cup is a continental competition. (Sorry it drives me insane, nothing personal.) As for the Calciopoli references and Italy's World Cup victory in 06 being false how can you be sure? Domestic league problems and national team problems are two completely different things in some cases. The players may play for both squads but it doesn't carry over.I haven't looked up anything on Calciopoli in a while but it would all depend on how far the corruption has spread. Corruption is in every sport and every facet of life but in some cases it's extremely difficult to spot. Regardless of what EPL / La Liga-fed fanboys and the media scream every week they have the same problems as everyone else. But I guess for now the Serie A has to be the scape-goat.

Sepp Blatter? The only good thing I can think of to come out of France is Alizee. (Well ok that might have been harsh.) He's an idiot and I wouldn't put it beyond him to be a complete scumbag. If the FIGC was orchestrating it (which honestly doesn't look that way) FIFA was in on it too. Sure I may be being paranoid but if you notice the media, in their eternal brilliance, everything negative is painted towards calcio. Down to our society, our philosophy and even the names of our players / kits. It's late and I'm tired so don't take everything I say right now literally.

I guess the point I'm getting at is yeah all sports are naturally corrupt. You don't watch them for purity. Every league, every sport, every competition has some form of corruption. Organized crime, etc aren't idiots and they've been doing this for decades. As for replays I completely agree. "The ref is a wanker" principle applies. It's not like they can't implement it and it won't destroy the game like purists say. Also have another referee would help out especially if you have Alan Wiley referring

[edit on 4-5-2010 by nastalgik]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by nastalgik]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nastalgik

I agree with you about that "REF" statement.
Ive chanted that from the terraces many-a-time!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The following just again typifies what taxpayers paid, what they were promised, and how it's all going into some shady bank account for the next 10 years:

Taxpayers, who forked out R3.4-billion to build Soccer City near Soweto, will not see any of the estimated R128-million that Fifa will pay the City of Johannesburg as "rental" to use the showpiece stadium for next month's World Cup.

www.timeslive.co.za...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by halfoldman]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join