It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foul: Football, FIFA, Sepp Blatter and global corruption.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Growing up I thought sports were pretty boring, and I've only recently developed a taste for such issues. Although as a South African I was always skeptical about the Football World Cup 2010 being held here, we are just under 40 days away, and generally I've been pretty proud by what was achieved.
Sadly much of the expected revenue and employment that people were promised to push the project is unlikely to materialize, and comments in our press voice concern of Fifa's fascist tendencies, such as:
- Areas around the games will be virtual police-states, with limits on advertising and economic activity. Only a locally unknown American beer may be sold at games within stadia.
- Anyone advertising Fifa words (like "football", "soccer" and "2010") has been, and will be heavily fined. All pubs and bars will most likely be charged R50 000 to show any of the games.
- Threats of crime, strikes, prostitution and even people trafficking are growing, and such events do cast a dark shadow of possible manipulated events.

Depite this, people are largely excited. However, now I've read about a journalist (Jennings) who writes on conspiracy and corruption in sport.
Is it just another NWO method of moving $ millions around the globe?

See the great transparency in sport website:
www.transparencyinsport.org...

[edit on 2-5-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this up. That is all very crazy. I remember hearing reports a few months ago that they were afraid that they wouldn't be able to fill the stadiums because of economic problems and how far away South Africa is from every other country, especially the European countries and America who would be the most likely people to go to the games. Because of the amount of money it will cost to fly there many people who would want to go can not afford it.

The bit about not being allowed to show the games in bars is quite disturbing. It reminds me of American Ice Hockey actually. The Pittsburgh Penguins and other teams are not allowed to show the game inside their stadium when their team is playing in the other team's stadium because of pressure from NBC. NBC wants to make sure that everyone watches the game at a bar or at home because they will be forced to watch their commercials, so if 3,000+ people are watching it at the stadium they will miss out on those people watching commercials. How crazy is that!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

If Andrew Jenning's accusations are true, then Blatter is as corrupt as the African dictators he has socialized with, and sports corruption is as bad as arms corruption.
why-we-are-white-refugees.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Despite numerous reports on the R50 000 liqour licence, the following site claims the reports on special licences (ie, to show Fifa games in public and serve booze) are somehow untrue (I cannot link to the relevant article).
www.project2010.co.za...
Nobody is really sure at present. I think they've negotiated on that, or are busy.
Most of the township pubs are run informally from home and aren't even lisenced normally, so it's unworkable in any case.
Fifa won't get everything it wants here, since we have quite a "tempremental" society. But it's already agreed that there is massive corruption, and Fifa have not been good guests.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I think the reason it was done in SA was a "fuzzy feel good" thing for the media to promote.

I can guarantee that most folks wont get crap from it.

Damn shame how football is getting corrupted. I thought it was just guys like Howard Webb in EPL games (I wont watch US MLS games....we suck!). When I found out he was going to be a ref for world cup games I nearly screamed! This POS is either bought and paid for or completely unprofesional in his bias. I'm a ref also. I try to bring respect to the uniform!

I digress.

I knew FIFA was crooked when at the UEFA cup (Germany and Spain), they showed the cup....festooned with SPAINS COLORS!!!

Germany couldnt move with out getting a foul.

The "beauful game" has been corrupted. Damn shame.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Football and corruption is a thing of mine, and i think i will see how this goes before i add what i think, as i think its worse than you guys can imagine.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Star and Flag!

Football has always had this ugly side to it that usually rear's its face where its not wanted.

I dont know what the situation is like in S.A. but I do remmember when they made the case for it being held there.
All the promise's of work and development that'll boost the South African ecconamy.
Yet now this.

Are the security forces involved in protecting the matches sourced from other countrys?

Ive also heard the worries about not being able to fill stadiums, but also I think this was due to residents not having direct debit and capabilitys to purchase tickets On-Line.
Yet, when they started selling tickets over the counter, sales increased a little.

My end (In the UK) I keep hearing storys of price-hikes. Tickets are getting expensive, travelling is almost twice as expensive, and hotels are far and few inbetween.

Also recent problems due to Terra-blanch have been mentiond.

[edit on 2/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yes, it could be corrupt.

Have you heard how Brazil have apparently taken recent bribes in recent World Cups, so that a European team can win, to encourage ecconomic growth in Europe.

And then maybe, on that basis, you could say it has to be a European team again this time. And looking at whos in the tournement, you could say Spain/Portugal. (although their strong teams anyway, and with Spains current form, there my favoruts)
So that It will promote tourism to that country etc, plus make the Spanish players more Valuable so clubs get more cash for Spaniards who were in the Cup winning team.
Although, thats just my speculation.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
"Have you heard how Brazil have apparently taken recent bribes in recent World Cups, so that a European team can win, to encourage ecconomic growth in Europe."

If you watched some of the awful games that Brazil has played in the past couple of World Cups, you would think this is probably true. Of course, it was just a "coincidence" that Italy won the last World Cup in Germany (2006) immediately after a major soccer scandal erupted in Italy.

www.washingtonpost.com...

If you've watched any of the recent Super Bowls (American Football), you can easily reach the conclusion that soccer is not the only major sport which is corrupt and fixed. How about the recent NBA (American Basketball) scandal involving a certain ref who was making dubious calls because he was betting on games?

When you have all this money being wagered on these games, do you think they will leave the result up to chance? If you can rig elections with such ease, rigging a sporting event is child's play. People are stupid though. They continue to watch and believe the games are fair and clean.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

If you want more corruption check out Steven Higgins, the 'Snooker' Champion has been exposed TODAY by the News Of The World of accepting a bribe between 200000 to 350000 Euros.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

A great post and link about further corruption in sport.
However, it's not just football or main global sports (just to add). In SA we had the whole saga of Christian sports icon Hansie Cronje, and the eventual proof of his corrupt relationship to Indian based bookies.
It was a major revelation that left SA aghast and shocked.

Many (even former players) believe Cronje's death in a mini-plane crash was conspiracy and murder (and that he was perhaps about to spill the real beans). It was rather suspicious that the beacons were switched off.
Well, see:
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Definately..
Indian 20-20 has been scrutinized in the press a lot recently.
The amounts of money these betting circles make is crazy.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I agree, and I remember the last World Cup. I felt very strongly that it was setup for Italy to win, and like someone else mentioned, right after all the cheating scandals broke in Italy - IMO Italy should have been disqualified from even being there.

I just watched the Champions League games and same thing. Barcelona should have won, Barcelona was robbed of their goal, and Inter won. Inter being an Italian team.

I've seen it many, many times in football and it's getting to me too, whether it's a huge conspiracy or some corrupt Refs I am sick and tired of it.

In World Cup qualifying France cheated (Henry used his hand) to score the winning goal that kicked Ireland out of the World Cup. NOTHING WAS DONE. No rematch, no disqualifying France, just let the cheaters win and go to the World Cup. Just because the Ref *didnt see* it at the time shouldnt matter.

I have felt for a long time they need to have something like a maximum of 3 timeouts a game to review plays like american football does. too much # doesnt get called or gets called incorrectly and it ruins it for everyone.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Indeed! And how quickly we've forgotten the death of Pakistan's cricket coach, Bob Woolmer. I believe "The Star" newspaper called it "A field day for conspiricists" March 25th, 2007. Woolmer was found strangled in his hotel room in Jamaica after a rather dismal performance.
The death was treated locally as a homicide, but the MSM speculated on suicide or "manual strangulation" for sex (a great excuse these days), and next thing it just was no longer mentioned.
www.encyclopedia.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Yes. That story was certainly forgotten about.
Id hazard a guess that these ''betting rings'' have their fingures in a lot of pies.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by itsblownbackbaby

Yes. I agree with you there, the France v Ireland match should have been replayed after it emerged that Henry handled the ball into the net.

The amount of times the Football watching community has said they want Instant Replays brought in, Ive lost count!
Week in, week out, theres easily more than 10 occurences just in the English Premiership which could determin the course of a game, be it a foul in the penalty area or a replay of an off the ball incident which could result in a Red Card and a player getting sent off.
These incidents increase as you go further down the leauges, I could quote numerous games involving Swansea City (my team ;-D ) where we have been genuinely robbed of a penalty decision, that may have resulted in us being promoted or at least finishing strongly in the Play-off's this season.

The calls/flags like they have in American Football would be a good introduction, wether its the captins decision or the managers would be a great addition.

The only negative is that it may take the drama away from the game, but it would promote fair play.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

www.youtube.com...
Poor Mr Blatter, I suppose not acknowledging a question crucial to FIFA's image at a FIFA press conference is also one "answer"!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Although corruption in sports has existed for a rather long time, (see the 1919 Black Sox Scandal link below), it appears to have become more common place ever since corporate sponsorship and ownership has taken over sports.

www.montgomerycollege.edu...

Can you really trust anything which is corporately controlled? We're talking huge sums of money being wagered and changing hands during a World Cup or a Super Bowl. Do you really think that the people who control the gambling books (corporate connections no doubt) would leave it to chance to lose their shirt?

All it takes is one bad call by a referee, one bad snap by a center, one bad throw by a quarterback, one fake injury by a star player, one injection to a thoroughbred, or some bad strategy by a coach to throw a game. These games are so close and competitive that one little incident, which the public does not even notice, can change the outcome.

The professional sports leagues take the public stance of distancing themselves from gambling. This in itself is somewhat of a joke, considering the amount of revenue that gambling generates for these leagues.

Of course, there are some people naive enough to believe that these huge gambling revenues are only received by some slimy bookies in some basement.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

All this also reminds me of the connected issue of "drugs" in sport.
I've thought about a seperate thread on this but wouldn't know where to place it. The loaded term "drugs" is used, but peformance enhancing substances are not recreational "drugs" per se.
In any case, it's so widespread it might as well be legalized.
(And why must "sport" always have a quasi-moral image - lots of academic students use performance enhancing substances?)

It just leads me to think that sport is semi-religious - it plays a huge cultural role in our group-thinking. Therefore it also gets away with almost anything (or at least those who run it).

On the other hand it must be innocent enough to hand-down gender traditions and roles (which are usually pretty dodgy in any case). It seems that even hooligan clubs have "gentlemen's rules" that remind me of the duelling rules a century or so ago. At least it stops people from being political. Or does it?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

It makes you think what FIFA really means.

Football is ment to be about bringing communitys together. Bringing the whole international community together, to promote friendly sportsman like competition and skill.

Not who can make the most cash from dodgey dealing.

Suppose thats why they call it the game of two halfs and how its a love-hate thing.

Wonder if there will be a new FIFA President soon?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join