It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Tribute: D-Day 60 Years On.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by altair

kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

yeah, makes me wonder what language we would be speaking if we hadnt invaded normandy

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I take my hat off the the brave men who gave the last full measure to ensure and defend the liberty that we so dearly cherish. I do not know anyone who was there; none of them could have known me. Yet, many a man gave his life for me. For this, I am eternally grateful. I only hope that I may contribute a fraction of what they have to mankind. I think Ronald Reagan said it best 6 June 1984 at Omaha Beach:

From a terrible war we learned that unity made us invincible; now, in peace, that same unity makes us secure. We sought to bring all freedom-loving nations together in a community dedicated to the defense and preservation of our sacred values. Our alliance, forged in the crucible of war, tempered and shaped by the realities of the post-war world, has succeeded. In Europe, the threat has been contained, the peace has been kept.
We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.

This quote holds even more meaning taken in the context of today's world, and is especially appropriate given the recent passing of that greatest of leaders.

Read the entire text of President Reagan's speech

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurdueNuc

We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.

I've never heard that before, thats a great quote.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
I was tempted to go off on a rant at the some of the ignorance shown on this thread, but decided to hold back. Try to keep this on topic everyone, I thought this was meant to be in memory of all those that gave their lives on D-Day. If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of it I think it would be best to start a seperate thread.

Thanks for posting this JB1.

I feel the same about those that gave their lives in both World Wars. My posts have nothing to do with the admiration and respect I feel for those that fought in the 1st and 2nd brothers-war. And in my respect to the fallen I include both camps in the conflicts. They are all worth of such honour.
My feeling is that both wars were unnecessary and a waste of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join