It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Tribute: D-Day 60 Years On.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is an OP/ED but 60 years it is the top story of the day.
On this day,June 6th, 60 years ago a momentous event took place that would change the course of history for the better.To imagine a history where D-Day did not take place is to imagine a depraved world.

D-Day,or Operation Overlord, was the greatest seaborn invasion of all time and those that took part,and in too many cases sacrificed all,should be remembered and honoured by all who treasure the liberties we take for granted today.

In Portsmouth ,in Southern England,a museum to the invasion stands.The most famous exhibit there is a modern tapestry in the style of the Bayeaux Tapestry depicting a force going in the opposite direction to 1066 but my favourite exhibit is a landing craft.You can stand at the front and look out at what those brave men saw 60 years ago complete with gun flashes and the booming shells.If you stand there for long enough you start to question if you could have stepped off and into the water.The opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan" give a similar feeling.

In a time where the U.S.A is often criticised it is good for Europeans to reflect that 60 years ago they many travelled thousands of miles from their homes to liberate Europe and that many never made it back to their homes.Though U.S Administrations can sometimes be criticised no one should ever doubt the the American people's valued principles.

Europeans should also remember others who came to the aid of Europe.The Canadians,who played a major role on D-Day and it's disastrous precursor at Diepe.The Australian,New Zealanders,South Africans,and other Commonwealth countries who fought alongside the British throughout the war.Don't forget either the Polish who's pilots especially were valued assets and other soldiers from occupied Europe,amoung them Dutch,Belgian and Czech.

Also the Brave Frenchmen who fought with De Gaul and those that remained in France and fought the occupation everyday,the Resistance.

Today,for the first time ,a German Chancellor will stand with the leaders of the Allied countries.This is a sign of European reconciliation but though we move forward together never forget.Never forget the sacrifices made on the 6th June 1944.The benefits can be seen throughout the world,including Germany and it is right that they should be there and give thanks.

As a Brit myself,I'll leave it for someone else to say something about the British.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 6-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

[...]
Never forget the sacrifices made on the 6th June 1944. The benefits can be seen throughout the world, [...]

You are to be commended for posting this.
We should think about the nature of this sacrifice more frequently.

I join you in taking my hat off to all of those brave men and women that fought and died in the pursuit of the principles of peace, of liberty and of democracy.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Britain and her Commonwealth Allies aided by Nations who's Countries were under NAZI domination, stood against a great evil for a long time alone before the attack at Pearl Horbour brought the US into the War. But when the Americans did enter the War it was as though a bright light of hope had cut through the Darkness of dispair that we suffered in the 3 years leading up to the American entry to the that dreadfull conflict. For that i and my country, and im sure the countries whom the US helped to liberate, will be forever greatful to the Brave American's who gave their live's on those beaches so long ago.
Both my Grandfathers fought in the War from 1939 to the very end. One served with Monty in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. My other grandfather, who died just recently, fought in the hellish jungles of Burma and was wounded and sent back to England in 1943. He recovered in time to take part in the landings with the 6th Battalion the Duke of Wellingtons Regiment ( West Riding ) who suffered heavy casualties on the first day. on the second day my Grandfather was wounded again and evacuated back to England and was to take no further part in the War.
My pride in both my Grandfather's cannot be described, they willingly gave some of the best years of their lives so i could enjoy the freedoms that they fought so hard and so long to give us.
God rest and keep all the men and Women who gave freedom to those who had none.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Janus]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
"Their lives were shattered by their experiences. There are others not at this service, their bodies and minds shattered by war. We dare not forget."
said by the UK Chaplain General, David Wilkes.

all i can say is this on that day they didnt see colour,nationality,race or religion they fought like soldiers and done what they needed to do for freedom those soldiers that fought and died on that day are true heoros.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Yes, a tremendous day in History. Unfortunately not for the better. Millions died and the result? The world we live in, where democracy is a holy cow that produces putrid milk, and deemed so sacred that it is rammed down people's throats by force if they like it or not; where freedom has become a rare commodity reserved only for the rich and the only freedom the masses have is the previlege to put a cross in a ballot paper; where the selected few rule supreme over the human cattle who, brainwashed by their media blindly believe in fables; where individual thought has been stifled and where anyone that does not toe the politically correct path or dares to speak out in his people's defence is treated as bad as a Middle Age heretic - perhaps not burnt at the stake, but an accident waiting to happen; where history portrait villains as heros and heros as villains.
Yes, a tremendously stupid day in History.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by avflf]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Unfortunately not for the better.

Are you seriously suggesting that the only viable alternative,Hitler winning WW2,would see us in a better world today ???

I'm not going to justify my initial comments.I stand by them.

I only quote you to draw attention to the stupidity of your words.

Rail against the ideology of democracy by all means but by denying the importance of D-Day to all humanity you advocate the politics of hate and genocide by default.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Yawn yawn yawn,

the US late as ever....'42 if I remember, didn't want to get involved, if pearl harbour had never happened, I doubt if the US would have ever participated...in was their age of isolationism...

It took wheeling and dealing to get the US involved....all the other countries mentioned were part of the commonwealth of the imperial GB they had to go it was their duty.

D-day was 60years ago ancient history, we could commemorate all the world wars in history...why...just to remember the dead of some political bully boy tactics to make europe a united states of Europe.....

remember so it never happens again...dont make me laugh.....the amount of wars going on at the moment bare out the fact that no one ever gives a # or learns by mistakes......

War is an inevitable concept of the human condition..wars will continue for as long as humans do.....because their will always be some sod prepared when in with the reigns of power will use them for what he /she believes is the "right" cause, be it a freedom fighter or terrorist which depends soley on your politics or enough boot like the US to trash its way through human evolution......in a just cause of sanctimonious crap......

remembering Dday ...why? just to make the guilty feel good or remind others how they can be lead well and truly astray by smooth smary faced leaders and show themselves how pathetic they really are....

my favourite poster on my bedsit wall was......

suppose they had a war.....and nobody came......

The Hitlars, Mussolinis, Sadams, Bushes, Blairs of this world would never exist without the help of the people who keep them in power and prop them up......I dont blame these leaders, I blame their hangers on, the advisers the sucker uppers..to gain their power trip....

As far as I am concerned dday was just another pathetic event in the pathetic human history.......

Where was the vatican when the jews asked for help ......oooohhh a ghostly silence....
did the USG know about pearl harbour and said nothing so as to get the senate to go to war.....

talk about a load of bull# of historical events....history is written by the winners...and that could mean anything.....

Sure hitlar was in charge...but it was his people that kept him their...just like SH.....but unlike hitlar SH was proped up by the USG....look at palestine..Israel trashes palestinians....Israel who get $9bill dollars of US tax payers money....proped up.....

How many US companies did buisness with Hitlars regime during WWII while US sons were being slaughtered on those beaches.....

kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

altair

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Well,when you post on a public discussion board you have to expect all sorts to post.

It's about the courage,bravery and sacrifice of individuals.

The dead of other wars are commemorated at other times.11th of November in the UK,Anzac day in Aus and NZ,Veterens day in the U.S.

Thankyou for your philisophical diatribe.You've obviously been thinking about it in your bedtroom for a few nights.

I just think it should not have been in reply to this thread.Not out of respect just because it's not really on topic.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

Unfortunately not for the better.

Are you seriously suggesting that the only viable alternative,Hitler winning WW2,would see us in a better world today ???

I'm not going to justify my initial comments.I stand by them.

I only quote you to draw attention to the stupidity of your words.

Rail against the ideology of democracy by all means but by denying the importance of D-Day to all humanity you advocate the politics of hate and genocide by default.

Only if there were such policies of Hate and Genocide.
Churchill should have accepted the hand of friendship that Hitler extended to him and the British people. But by then Churchill had sold himself to the Devil and his judgement as well as that of FDR was not for the benefit of their own people or even for their protection but rather to serve the interest of aliens. No, not grey little men.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Hey, This morning I was watching Bush's speech live, really early, and as he was talking, in the back was a man in white uniform holding one of the flags, one of the secret service guys walks up behind him, all the sudden his left leg buckles, and he leans towards the guy on his left, then he falls backwards, and the Secret Service guys take him off... Anyone see? odd....

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
OH! right, A Hitler fan.

That makes sense.

I think you're on the wrong board.Check out StormFront.

We don't do holocaust denial and historical revisionism here.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by avflf

Only if there were such policies of Hate and Genocide.
Churchill should have accepted the hand of friendship that Hitler extended to him and the British people. But by then Churchill had sold himself to the Devil and his judgement as well as that of FDR was not for the benefit of their own people or even for their protection but rather to serve the interest of aliens. No, not grey little men.

So, right now I'm taking this as meaning you are an uber-idiot that thinks no Holocaust took place and the world was wrong to not accept Hitler's empire and just become part of the great Nazi-world. Right?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by altair

D-day was 60years ago ancient history, we could commemorate all the world wars in history...why...just to remember the dead of some political bully boy tactics to make europe a united states of Europe.....

Last time I looked there were 2 World Wars and both are commemorated.
I have to say that you show an appalling lack of knowledge for recent history too. Hitler was the one trying to bring about a United States of Europe by invading and occupying not the Allies. Unfortunately his United Europe would have meant Germany at the helm with all of the evils that the times entailed.

I reckon you would be screaming like a bitch if Hitler had won the war. In fact you probably wouldn't exist to scream unless you have blonde hair and blue eyes. Even then, screaming would have you packed off to an extermination camp.

Yes my friend. You owe the people on those beaches a lot. If only that they died to give you your right to be an ignorant fool.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by avflfOnly if there were such policies of Hate and Genocide.

i bet youre some stupid kid who knows nothing about history, its obvious, hitler never offered peace or friendship to the brittish, not ever, hitler even betrayed the russians who had a non aggression pact, he could never have been trusted, german units even attacked ally units in italy, your post is utter crap, please come back when you actually know history.

also could you blame us for not wanting to join the war untill we did, we just wanted peace and to be left alone, the fact is we did join because we saw the threat would be too great if we didnt help, the reason is besides the point especially if you take into consideration that russian, brittish and many of our allies weapons were manufactured in the US when they were having trouble and couldnt manufacture fast enough to keep up with germany, also without our hundreds of thousands of cargo ships built during the war brittian would have starved from lack of supplies, noone coulld be so stupid as to forget how important america was to the war, we couldve stayed out but we didnt, dont make up some excuse to say it was wrong or america was a traitor or whatever.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The History I know comes from reading and comparing different points of view, which makes me better informed than anyone that only looks at one side of the coin. For whatever motive they choose to follow the herd, be it the desire to fit in, affraid of criticism and abuse or just plain laziness is not my concern. Maybe I should post in Stormfront, I am told by one of the herd. Fair enough. I see this board is Kosher and in such a camp only the "chosen" and the shabbez goyim are welcome, where they can congratulate themselves in their lack of perpective and individual thought and happily march together into the Orwellian world that awaits them. Keep the blinkers on guys. You really do not want to see where you're going. Be happy in your narrowmindness and rejoice in your lack of wisdom. But I'll be around to remind you that there are alternatives.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by avflf
The History I know comes from reading and comparing different points of view, which makes me better informed than anyone that only looks at one side of the coin. For whatever motive they choose to follow the herd, be it the desire to fit in, affraid of criticism and abuse or just plain laziness is not my concern. Maybe I should post in Stormfront, I am told by one of the herd. Fair enough. I see this board is Kosher and in such a camp only the "chosen" and the shabbez goyim are welcome, where they can congratulate themselves in their lack of perpective and individual thought and happily march together into the Orwellian world that awaits them. Keep the blinkers on guys. You really do not want to see where you're going. Be happy in your narrowmindness and rejoice in your lack of wisdom. But I'll be around to remind you that there are alternatives.

what you think the nazi's were justified? how can you say you see from their point of view, they wouldve made europe look much worse than what orwell described, infact where do you think he got the idea for the society in the book? compare it to nazi germany and you can see the similarity, you claim to be wise but youre not, you view things in a twisted way, you dont know history by what youve said, youre arguing on ideals not historical fact.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
[

what you think the nazi's were justified? how can you say you see from their point of view, they wouldve made europe look much worse than what orwell described, infact where do you think he got the idea for the society in the book? compare it to nazi germany and you can see the similarity, you claim to be wise but youre not, you view things in a twisted way, you dont know history by what youve said, youre arguing on ideals not historical fact.

Wrong, my deluded friend. It is you and the rest in this board that are arguing in ideological terms and not historical facts. But you don't want Revisionism on this board so I shall not bring any into it. But with a bit of effort you also can find out what it stands for and what it teaches, and make your own mind once you read material from both sides. There is only a slight draw back. You'll have to be prepared to use your own reasoning powers to decide what is what.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
No. It's not revisionist history. It's deluded history.

Do you think that it would have taken a second World War to unite Europe if that was the plan? Like I said - you totally ignore historical fact.
Take a look at the 1st World War. If there were some underhand scheme, a united Europe could have been put into place at the end of the Great War. Who was left to argue? Europe was battered and bloody. There would have been no-one to oppose a united Europe.

And what about economics? You totally overlook the fact that Hitler rearmed himself once he came to power. The German economy was in tatters when he took over. Building armaments created wealth and it was only natural that he should use them.

You also totally overlook the way in which Hitler came into power. He wasn't put there by anyone - he seized power.

You say that you've looked from all angles. Have you ever read Mien Kampf? The seeds of the 2nd World War are blatantly displayed in there. And it's not a Jewish orchestrated war. It's not an Allied orchestrated war. It's a war generated for lebensraum and German superiority.

Revise what you like. But try and keep it within the realms of logic and fact.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I was tempted to go off on a rant at the some of the ignorance shown on this thread, but decided to hold back. Try to keep this on topic everyone, I thought this was meant to be in memory of all those that gave their lives on D-Day. If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of it I think it would be best to start a seperate thread.

Thanks for posting this JB1.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I may not know very much about the polotics of the war in Europe but i do know one thing, both of my Grandfathers were among the best of their generation. Better, kinder and braver men i have yet to meet.
Just remember this, my Grandad spent the rest of his life with a peice of shrapnel lodged close to his lung so you could spout your poison freely and without fear of a jackboot kicking your door in and carting you away to the death camps, and there were and are thousands just like him.
Please if you want to debate these things make a new thread. This was supposed to be about rememberence.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join