It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census Bureau Suspends Free Press...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
This is a copy of "Rules" document sent to a journalist from the Census Bureau:

www.mattcave.us...

"Good afternoon,

Attached is a document which details the rules for journalists with regard to the coverage of field census takers during the door to door operation which begins tomorrow, Saturday May 1.

Please note journalists are EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN TO FOLLOW A CENSUS WORKER WHILE HE/SHE IS IN THE FIELD ON OFFICIAL CENSUS BUSINESS.

The rules have been developed, and are in concert with U.S. Census Bureau and federal regulations (Title 13, United States Code) which guarantees respondents answers be kept completely confidential.

Please refer to the attached sheet for answers to questions regarding coverage of census workers."

I'm wondering what's your take on this. I can see where a privacy issue may be at risk here but then again, since the information is private why is the Census Bureau asking for it? Yes, I know the answer, just starting a debate. Do you think, as I do, this is a slippery slope for the federal government to impose these types of "rules" on the press? "EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN" - that's pretty strong language, huh???

He notes in the link that "The Census officials put the emphasis on the CAPPED words, not me. They were block lettered in the "Rules" sheet memo."

It is his opinion, and mine that:

If the media sits by and accepts this unconstitutional dictate from this division of the Obama Administration, it will not end with the Census. In fact, sitting this set of 'Rules" from the Federal Government, I think it might be a good idea to assign a blogger/reporter to every single Census worker in the U.S.A. It might serve as a good deterrent to 'radicalized' citizens who feel like their own government has started treating them like the enemy.

[edit on 2/5/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A journalist has no right to view random citizen's personal information.

Seems that the constitution is now the go-to for every action Obama's administration takes, even though these types of regulations have been in place for decades.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
You can't be serious?

Title 13 (Census) has been on the books since 1790.

The first census began more than a year after the inauguration of President Washington and shortly before the second session of the first Congress ended. Congress assigned responsibility for the 1790 census to the marshals of the U.S. judicial districts under an act which, with minor modifications and extensions, governed census taking through 1840. The law required that every household be visited, that completed census schedules be posted in "two of the most public places within [each jurisdiction], there to remain for the inspection of all concerned..." and that "the aggregate amount of each description of persons" for every district be transmitted to the president.

Source

Here is an overview of all Amendments. (Starting in 1976)
Amendments to Title 13

Your "blog" premise is flawed. That is fine if you want to believe it but why spread disinfo here?

It is to protect confidentiality of respondents, not limit Freedom of Press.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
wow...personal information from the census???.....more personal info is attached to my safeway discount card than is on the census document.
you people need to get a life.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
A journalist has no right to view random citizen's personal information.

Seems that the constitution is now the go-to for every action Obama's administration takes, even though these types of regulations have been in place for decades.

Of course they don't have the right to citizen's personal information. What made you go there from this? Did you mis-understand? Nothing about "viewing personal information"...

EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN TO FOLLOW A CENSUS WORKER WHILE HE/SHE IS IN THE FIELD ON OFFICIAL CENSUS BUSINESS.

Of course the constitution should be the go-to document. It is, afterall, the foundation of our country, is it not?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Your "blog" premise is flawed. That is fine if you want to believe it but why spread disinfo here?

It is to protect confidentiality of respondents, not limit Freedom of Press.

Uh disinfo? I don't understand. How does your linking census legislation even enter into the topic at hand. I'm not debating whether the census is legal or not... just the government's "EXPRESSLY FORBIDDING" the press from following census takers.

So, within your thinking, where should we draw the line saying it is ok for the government to FORBID the media from covering a story? I believe the answer is NEVER. If they want to collect personal information, then it is on the government to provide a way to do that confidentially WITHOUT limiting other constitutional rights.

Edit to add: It's not my blog nor do I know the author.

[edit on 2/5/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Why do you think Journalists are forbidden from following a census worker if it's not to safeguard the respondents personal information?

Oh, of course... it's so that Obama can "suspend free press". How silly of me.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Why do you think Journalists are forbidden from following a census worker if it's not to safeguard the respondents personal information?

Oh, of course... it's so that Obama can "suspend free press". How silly of me.

I said nothing of Obama.

If they want to collect personal information, then it is on the government to provide a way to do that confidentially WITHOUT limiting other constitutional rights.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It would seem that census takers have enough problems trying to get people to give them their info whilst alone.

Just imagine how hard it would be to get that info with a camera crew following you to their door.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
I said nothing of Obama.

Thread Title:

Obama Administration Suspends Free Press...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You said nothing of Obama...? I must be misreading the thread title then.

Nope, every time I read it it says the same thing. Cue twilight zone music.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by xmaddness

Yep. But do you think that it is appropriate for the federal government to impinge the rights of it's citizens in order to protect them?

Perhaps they are asking too many personal questions.... maybe they should just stick with "enumeration". I don't think too many people would be worried about a television crew answering the question "how many people live here".

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Its debatable whether its an infringement of free press because it is also a protection of privacy. If in the exercising of one right you infringe upon another you're doing something wrong but then again if in protecting the right to privacy you infringe upon free press is it still wrong?

I don't really see this as a big deal and it definitely isn't SUSPENDING free press, its putting one tiny little regulation on press coverage of the census in order to protect privacy.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Crap. Sorry you are correct… The title of the blog, not my words. I would love for this not to derail this thread.

In fact, I am documenting here that I am changing the title of this thread in order to NOT derail this thread further… My bad.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

You bring up a valid point, however I am inclined to think that this is just a measure to try and help increase the response percentage for the census.

It has historically been hard to get everyone to turn in census forms, and to work with census takers. A portion of the citizens believe that even asking for this information is infringing on their rights. Others believe that it is a means of big brother gaining further information on them.

In any event, having a camera crew following a census worker would probably directly cause some people to not answer their doors, where as if there were no crew present, they may have happily answered and given the information the census worker needed.

You have to remember, the houses these workers are going to are the houses in which they did not receive the initial census mailer. So it is already cause to believe that these people have privacy concerns.

What better way to prevent a privacy advocate from answering the door than by sticking cameras all over their front porch.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
I don't really see this as a big deal and it definitely isn't SUSPENDING free press, its putting one tiny little regulation on press coverage of the census in order to protect privacy.

Yeah, and the Patriot Act was one tiny little regulation to "protect" us from terrorism too.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmaddness

You bring up a valid point, however I am inclined to think that this is just a measure to try and help increase the response percentage for the census.

Yes, of course it is but the government must come up with a way to do this without infringing other constitutionally protected rights. In other words, they must get off their butts and actually think about it instead of just releasing a mandate FORBIDDING journalists from following these government employees.

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Its debatable whether its an infringement of free press because it is also a protection of privacy. If in the exercising of one right you infringe upon another you're doing something wrong but then again if in protecting the right to privacy you infringe upon free press is it still wrong?

It's not debatable at all. It's quite clear that they are infringing free press. 1 right plus 1 wrong doesn't make a whole right... it makes a half right. They must think of another way...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
reply to post by kinda kurious

reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Crap. Sorry you are correct… The title of the blog, not my words. I would love for this not to derail this thread.

In fact, I am documenting here that I am changing the title of this thread in order to NOT derail this thread further… My bad.

Weak sauce. (Moving goal posts during kick.)

I'm outta here. Might want to consider thinking things through going forward rather than a knee-jerk rush to smear President. I'm done, have fun.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The bottom line by law the only question need to be answered is how many persons reside at said such residence period end of story, they do not need names births ages nothing only the number of persons whom resided as outlined by law. Though I do believe a second question only as to how many under the age of 18, because this info gives a better picture of the number of people in a district that maybe attending school. But nothing more not exact ages or anything else just how many of the totals are under 18 period. And these are the only questions I will answer and that I have answered. I live in the south and have no trespassing signs up, by law they can not go any further on to my property then the location of my mail-box, beyond that trespassers will be shoot. At least that’s what my sign says, not that I would shoot just anybody walking on my property, but I might never know.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Weak sauce. (Moving goal posts during kick.)

I'm outta here Might want to consider thinking things through going forward rather than a knee-jerk rush to smear President. I'm done, have fun.

Aw honey, sorry
... you were all worked up to fight about it being an Obama bashing thread... sorry about that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join