It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black holes and gravity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Newton

1. Gravity is a physical property of matter

Einstein

1. Mass and energy bend space time
2. The bend is gravity

How black Holes work

Black holes have infinite energy density. This energy density is caused by the gravitational collapse of a massive star about 9 solar masses. The energy density creates a black hole. But why, you may ask.

According to Einstein and Newton gravity is caused by matter and energy, so the more compact mass is then the more gravity it has.

When there is a gravitational collapse a star is compressed by the energy being attracted to the center of gravity within the collapse. The energy and mass attract thus increasing their own gravitational pull by increasing their own density.

I may have confused some with the last part so let me say it again.

Energy and mass go to their center, thus pulling in more energy and mass increasing the density by increasing their gravity.

This is just to help those who have questions about gravity or black holes, because I think I'm pretty good at this subject.

p.s. if I am wrong on any part of this then feel free to correct me.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
just one question if black holes have infinite energy and density does that mean the universe has infinite energy as well? We know the universe under the standard model has finite energy so how can a finite energy become infinite.....

Thats a problem.....

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
just one question if black holes have infinite energy and density does that mean the universe has infinite energy as well? We know the universe under the standard model has finite energy so how can a finite energy become infinite.....

Thats a problem.....

Well I meant that the black holes have infinite energy density, which is not the same as energy density. Basically that means it still has the same energy and mass but in a more compact region.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
In my Astronomy class it was the collapse of a star only of 8 solar masses, not 9?

Here's some help.

Sun screws up its hydrostatic equilibrium (big sun remember this) then crunches, and poof!

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Republican08]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I kinda see black holes as ultimate density and mass. It would seem to me that any particular black hole might start out larger than a black hole that was the result of the implosion of a smaller star. I can comprehend how such a point in space ight rip a hole into the time/space continuum. On the other hand I am somewhat convinced that physicists and cosmologists don't know as much as they think they do about such objects. I mean, they're changing the rules and equations all the time. They're right, but then they prove themselves to be wrong. That's academicians for you.

new topics

top topics

join