It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scale of the Deepwater Disaster

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Exactly. They must know it is even worse than people are saying because I haven't heard them rebutt any of these numbers. And if Paul Noel is close to right, it being the largest or second largest formation ever found, then it may very well be that large. And he says that there is 10,000x more natural gas than oil in the formation. Shouldn't they have had every possible piece of technology on the well head with the possibility of a blowout (which is caused when you hit a gas pocket). There are acoustic activated BOP's or something like that which can be activated by sound in case of...well a total destructive blow out. They are used by most other countries in the world, but BP felt the cost of $500,000 per unit wasn't in line with the risk. I bet they realize it is worth it now. And if our do nothing but take oil money congress or administrations would have made that law, we might have even save the world's oceans. For $500,000 on this one well.

Seems more that reasonable when you look at it like that.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I had a really sick thought today. You know how our scientists are continually looking for the "smoking gun" (i.e. meteor crater) that killed the dinosaurs?

Imagine millions of years in the future, some advanced form of intelligence has arisen, and their scientists now search the earth for what killed the humans.

I can imagine a futuristic scientist of some sort finding the giant hole in the ocean saying "Hey, I think I found what killed the humans! They punched a hole in the floor of the ocean big enough to leak enough oil into the ocean to screw up the food chain! Stupid humans..."

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Interview with a person on board the oil rig when the explosion happened

Interesting to listen to. They had just tested the BOP (Blow Out Preventer) and were preparing to unhitch the rig.

No mention of Korean or Taliban subs though…obviously disinfo.

Secondly, a containment device is expected to be in place to collect the oil below the sea surface within a week.

On a personal note though I reckon it was whales that attacked the rig!!
Video

[edit on 3/5/2010 by amonza]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I also find the timing of this spill to be very bizarre...as if it couldn't have come at a worse time! Now the US will be even more dependent on the middle east and nations that are our enemies for our oil. Perhaps this never would have happened if drilling had been allowed in more accessible areas (and in places where clean up would be much easier and any broken pipes/equipment would could be reached almost immediately) rather than in thousands of feet of water.

Sadly "NIMBY" (Not In My Back Yard) seems to rule humanity these days with regards to energy production. We are dependent mostly on foreign oil, and what little we get from our own lands far off shore and a few land-based drilling sites. Everyone wants electricity and vehicles to get from here to there, but no one wants to have anything to do with that which can generate the power and fuel, whether it be fossil fuels or renewable energy. No one wants a wind farm on the top of the ridge or out at sea because it might spoil their view (or be noisy, or damage the environment, or whatever). No one wants to live near a nuclear power plant or see the cooling towers on the horizon. Everyone has suggestions and ideas, but it's always "not here" and "no, not over here" and "no - not there" and nothing gets done.

Now look what we have.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This is truly a seemingly insurmountable dilemma.

I wonder if/when FEMA will play a role, and what that might be?

Something is telling me to head North...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Every Fiber in my being tells me this entire incident was DELIBERATE

This also revitalizes the argument of alternative energy that won't destroy the planet,shame there's no profit as this may never happen and we are doomed to die slowly under the Neo-monarchy of currency or if you prefer Totalitarian Paradigm Earth is suffering from.

Perhaps, I have gone soft from watching too much Star Trek Next Gen.
In the Words of the Late Prophet
"Lets Explore inner and outer space together forever"

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I have often wondered if the official version of how oil is formed (from dead animals and plant matter) is true. There are a number of arguments which prop up the "Abiotic Oil" argument which says all is formed naturally deep within the earths mantle.

Oil has been found at great depths beneath impermeable granite, for instance. There could be no way that granite was formed atop an ancient forest, so the oil had to come from some other process.

Here is one link with a bit of info... Abiotic Oil

I read somewhere that some offshore wells that became empty through drilling and abandoned have been replenished to before drilling pressures naturally.

This theory of Abiotic Oil, combined with the fact that this is apparently the largest or second largest oil deposit ever found, makes for a very grim and gloomy scenario.

What if it never lets up? There is apparently 10,000 times more natural gas than oil in this deposit.

Imagine if this escaping gas were to ignite the growing oil slick, and the leak gets bigger and bigger, and the oil pumps out faster and faster. According to the Paul Noel
source there are some signs of the rock formation collapsing around the well.

This is one BIG serious mess!

Regards

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

i can only find sat images from the 27th..

are there any new pictures? it is being reported that the oil has hit the coast..

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I just wrote the White House too... Couldn't hurt right?

Gulf Coast

I've read news of building a dome. This may or may not work let's be honest. I'm leaning more towards the latter. I thought of one idea 10 minutes ago: Utilizing a cone with a large enough surface area to disperse the pressure in a circle. Around the edge of the cone the equivalent of inverted gutters routed into manageable pipelines all the way to the surface. At this point collect it however deemed necessary. Even if some oil escapes due to the overwhelming psi this would start a chain of events such as constructing a couple of layered cones repeating the process. Each time they're dealing with less and less pressure. Again, a thought, but since BP doesn't have what we would like to call a redundancy plan beyond the spill... Have at it.

Best Regards,
The Americanist

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
it's hard to believe this happened in 2010
but it happened ... and everyone already knows the reason ... fear

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by V1g0r0u5
I have often wondered if the official version of how oil is formed (from dead animals and plant matter) is true. There are a number of arguments which prop up the "Abiotic Oil" argument which says all is formed naturally deep within the earths mantle.

Oil has been found at great depths beneath impermeable granite, for instance. There could be no way that granite was formed atop an ancient forest, so the oil had to come from some other process.

Here is one link with a bit of info... Abiotic Oil

I read somewhere that some offshore wells that became empty through drilling and abandoned have been replenished to before drilling pressures naturally.

This theory of Abiotic Oil, combined with the fact that this is apparently the largest or second largest oil deposit ever found, makes for a very grim and gloomy scenario.

What if it never lets up? There is apparently 10,000 times more natural gas than oil in this deposit.

Imagine if this escaping gas were to ignite the growing oil slick, and the leak gets bigger and bigger, and the oil pumps out faster and faster. According to the Paul Noel
source there are some signs of the rock formation collapsing around the well.

This is one BIG serious mess!

Regards

Yes, I read about 6 months ago that the entire theory of oil being left-over plant and animal decay was some theory that some geologist concocted years ago, and it was just accepted, but never truly given any rigorous scientific thought.

I myself also think that oil is probably just a natural lubricant that exists between the different layers of the earth. I think the "oil is long-dead plants and dinosaurs" theory is way wrong.

That being said, if oil is a natural substance of the earth, that leaks up closer to the surface in certain areas, compared to others.... maybe we shouldn't be messing with it. What if the earth depends on oil for smooth rotational spin, or something? What if we're just removing the natural lubricant from the earth's layers?

I think the old geologist's theory that oil is just organic matter from long-dead dinosaur and plants was some early oil company's excuse to explain that it would be safe to remove it from the earth, to calm people's fears.....and we just bought it without any rigorous scientific studies.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
US Patent office holds over 4000 patents related to Free Energy.

In light of this environmental disaster it is time for a reckoning.

I would hope that this message is circulated far and wide, and that someone can contact David J. Kappos, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

An insider has reported that the US patents office is sitting on over 4000, yes four thousand, patents related to free energy.

If these patents were made publicly available, we could very soon rid the earth of the need for filthy oil, and disasters like the present one would never recur.

If as many people as possible publicise this small secret, and lobby for the release of Patents, we still have a chance of maintaining human life on this planet.

Best regards

David.

Details are available in Joel Garbon's and Jeane Manning's book "Breakthrough Power: How Quantum-leap New Energy Inventions Can Transform Our World" and Brian O'Leary's "The Energy Solution Revolution"

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Even at 25,000 barrels a day, that's ONLY 1.5 Olympic sized swimming
pools a day. That just doesn't seem a lot to me for a well that totally open ended.

A Broken Fire Hydrant can fill a Olympic Sized Pool in 11 Hours.
It just seem right that a Broken Hydrant woull fill nealy 2.5 Pools in 24 Hours.
And if you use the Figures from the Oil Company it's a couple of Backyard Pools.

I reckon, It's a case of Liar Liar Pant on Fire !!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Excessive greed by the major oil companies has no limits. Clean fuel technologies were suppressed by these oil companies to protect their own bottom line and to maintain an absolute monopoly over the energy industry. These companies would use every possible tricks to protect their interests. Now we don't know clearly whether this is a "false flag" or an accident. But one thing is certain. This oil platform was supposed to extract a very large amount of oil from the ocean reserve (and I think there is a certain degree of ambiguity over the actual capacity of this oil reserve). This drilling of oil was supposed to bring a large amount of money to BP's revenue. Instead, the rig has exploded and all the "unexplored and vast" reserves of oil are being spilled into the ocean forming an ever expanding oil slick. Meanwhile, as these companies and the governments who are equally in cahoots with these companies ponder over the kind of response required, an "unprecedented" oil spill is unfolding.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Now since this oil spill is affecting large areas of the Atlantic coastline, I wonder how this spill would impact the global weather system. I guess the global weather system might depend to a certain degree upon the ocean waters.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
This thread covers a super important issue.

The more I think about this, the worse I feel about it.

It truly is shaping up to be one of, if not the worst, disaster of it's kind.

Do they have any theories on how to "plug the hole" so to speak? I'd love to know their plan for stopping the leak.

Starred and flagged because it's super important other people read the research you have conducted.

Very good work Loam.

Why don't they build two parellel concrete shafts facing towards both side of the broken pipeline under the ocean bed then fill it in under the surface with concrete then blow the two shafts inwards collasping on the existing oil with explosives that would create a vacuum and seal the hole? Instead of digging two holes on a larger scale and filling it in all with concrete that would take several months to accomplish.

If there's any air-pockets under the ocean bed where they could drill through and connect a shaft built/pipeline to connect the existing oil that would atomatically feed the existing crude oil into that air-pocket/chamber then shut off the exisiting oil with a timed valve and for the existing oil left leaking in the first chamber under the ocean bed that would only require a second build in the time it takes to build the first shaft.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al
reply to post by loam

Even at 25,000 barrels a day, that's ONLY 1.5 Olympic sized swimming
pools a day. That just doesn't seem a lot to me for a well that totally open ended.

A Broken Fire Hydrant can fill a Olympic Sized Pool in 11 Hours.
It just seem right that a Broken Hydrant woull fill nealy 2.5 Pools in 24 Hours.
And if you use the Figures from the Oil Company it's a couple of Backyard Pools.

I reckon, It's a case of Liar Liar Pant on Fire !!

An Olympic sized swimming pool measurements:

Specifications

The FINA specifications for an Olympic-size pool are as follows:

Length 50 m (164 ft)[1]
Width 25 m (82 ft)[1]
Number of lanes 8+2[1]
Lane width 2.5 m (8 ft 2 in)[1]
Water temperature 25–28 °C (77–82 °F)[1]
Light intensity > 1500 lux (> 140 foot-candles)[1]
Depth 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in) minimum[1]
Volume 2,500 m3 (88,000 cu ft) or
2,500,000 L (550,000 imp gal; 660,000 US gal)
minimum, depending on depth[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Therefore you mentioned 1.5 Olympic sized swimming pools doesn't sound like a lot of spillage, if it was oil instead of water. Already that's 660,000 US gallons divided by 2 = 330,000 US gal + 660,000 US gallons equals a total of 990,000 US gallons of oil spilled. 1)

Then you have to consider the thickness oil spillages spread so in the instance of one Olympic sized swimming pool equalling into the depths of 2.0[m] that's (6ft 7 in) = 79 inches thick of water. 2)

Then you next have to consider the thickness the oil spillage is in inches on the current situation over in the Gulf of Mexico. And the speed of the current flow-rate, the current wind speed, the direction of the wind, the changes in tide currents and many more to consider. 3)

And last but not least you then have a resonable amount of sums to do the math in one's conclusion it would be spilled out a lot further than lets say a thickness of one Inch of oil spillaged. For example if it has a thickness of one Inch then that would be 660,000 US gal divided by 79 Inches = 8354.43 US gal devasting every 24 hours. So to speak I haven't included the current flow-rate speeds so it coould be much more or much less depending on all other figure's.

However 2,500,000[L] divided by "79" Inches = 31,624.96 Litres to (2 d.p) per 24[hrs] per layer of a thickness of one Inch of oil. 4)

[edit on 3-5-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

I don't think that "barrels" = "gallons." If I remember correctly, a barrel of oil is = to about 40 gallons (+/-).

The more I think about this, the more it seems to be a result of an intentional act. The environmental repercussions alone are mind-boggling...not to mention the economic impact.

I think this may be it folks. Not to monger fear, but it looks like we opened an artery that will have to bleed out...and by the time we learn how to stop the leak, it will be too late...if it isn't already.

Get gasoline now before demand goes up higher out of fear and we see another "shortage" occur. Make sure you have plenty of non-perishable food and fresh water supplies. All the positive thinking in the world won't weld a broken Earth. At the depth they drilled this one, you know that they had to expect the reserves to be MASSIVE in order to justify the expense of drilling that deep in the first place.

Lots more here than meets the eye...but we can prepare the best we can based on the available information.

Peace be with you all.

--J

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I am convinced that the oil rig was sabotauged.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dgwest7

Great post!

I think we all know that free Energy has existed for a long while now and that it's just the big Oil Companies and bigwigs preventing it from happening... cashflow you see... if you can't have Oil you won't make any cash!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join