It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scale of the Deepwater Disaster

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

So it will be double the size of the exxon valdez spill ?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

No, if current flow estimates are accurate and it stays near that rate, this could be much more than that, in fact I really don't want to imagine how bad this can get right now.

This could bring a death blow to the global economy, and that is not even assessing the ecological impact.

Maybe we should not even bother thinking about that and just wish all of those involved all the best in stopping this as fast as possible.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
Did North Korea Torpedo Oil Rig In US Gulf?

The destruction of a BP oil rig in the Gulf Coast has led to a lot of speculation and rumor-mongering on the Internet, focusing on the possibility that rogue Communist dictatorship North Korea was at fault.

A curious point leading people to think sabotage was at fault is the fact that US President Barack Obama has ordered SWAT teams to inspect all platforms and rigs:

I don't know what to make of this.

That itself would trigger WW3 if it was North Korea.

WW2 started when Japan got cut off from getting any U.S's oil. Japan flipped out then sent their Kamakaze Squads to fight to get their oil back, until the war ended when U.S dropped their 2 nukes on Japan. I wonder if North Korea and U.S are headed in the same direction? That is if it was actually North Korea that did it. We don't know. But I guess they think that North Korea sank the South Korean ship. So why not blame North Korea for the destruction of the oil rig? Well it's gonna be interesting of how it's gonna pan out.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I think that would be a good idea
sadly enough )

If it's going to be so big that the oil will leak into the gulf-stream.
Is it possible ?

If it is could it next to the environmental destruction also effect the water to sink at the poles or reduce the amount of heat it caries ?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Cameron International Corp who manufactured the faulty "Blowout Prevention System" have a $500 Million Insurance Policy with AIG. AIG have already been bailed out by the US Government (Tax Payers). This could end up being very messy indeed. AIG is 79.9% owned by the US tax payer.

JoinTheDots

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Unfortunately, most people are not understanding the magnitude of this event just yet. If and when they do get the hole plugged, the damage will long have been done. Thanks to everyone on here sharing some useful links, I just wish more people would be in tune to what is going on here. And I wish our president wasn't up at night telling jokes while potentially the biggest ecological disaster of our time is shaping up, that just doesn't make much sense to me.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Martyn Stubbs

And I don't understand Portugese. Nice to meet you.

English please ?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
Did North Korea Torpedo Oil Rig In US Gulf?

The destruction of a BP oil rig in the Gulf Coast has led to a lot of speculation and rumor-mongering on the Internet, focusing on the possibility that rogue Communist dictatorship North Korea was at fault.

A curious point leading people to think sabotage was at fault is the fact that US President Barack Obama has ordered SWAT teams to inspect all platforms and rigs:

I don't know what to make of this.

The original source of this rumor is from Sorcha Faal.

Sorcha FAIL.

Sorcha STFU already FAIL..

Enough said.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Not to mention the content of that site from the linked source. I particularly was disgusted by the story on how 90% of black South African farmers were too dumb to farm, and the comments around that site by people like username "Aryan."

---

Rush Limbaugh had an equally interesting take on it, seeing no reason to clean any of this up.

Unreal.

Edit: I just can't type today.

[edit on 5/2/10 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by spaznational

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Do they have any theories on how to "plug the hole" so to speak? I'd love to know their plan for stopping the leak.

Yes, they do. But it will not be done. A small nuclear bomb at the source of the leak would stop it permanently. But that would not be politically correct. It is more important to be PC than solve problems.

How could a nuke stop it?

Seriously, if that is possible then they don't need a nuke, there are bombs that can have similar explosive power to a nuke but use conventional explosives... Why not do that?

The sea life is going to be lost anyway, if an explosion can stop it, why wait?

I haven't heard of this nuke solution, do you have any source on that?

Here:

The only piece of human technology that might address this is a nuclear bomb. I'm not kidding. If they put a nuke down there in the right spot it might seal up the hole. Nothing short of that will work. [See Paul Noel's ideas above.]

Source

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"Drill baby, Drill"? Are you "'Mericans Nuts or what? Pure greed that's what it is. A prime example of how NOT to be a part of this little blue planet.

May you rot in Hell!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This will go down as the greatest enviramental disaster to ever hit this planet... this will effect much much more than simple coastilines,,,, this thing is going to bring economies crashing down on a level never ever seen before in recorded history,,,, every day goes by that they cant stop this, and remember it a mile underwater,,,, then it just gets worse and worse...if the BOP fails all together,,, you are looking at an output of a minimum of 100,000 barrels a day... thats 2 million gallons a day for months until they can stop it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Now it is 4x as much as estimated just yesterday! 100,000 barrels or MORE a day! They are talking about poisoning the oceans and causing an ecological collapse of major proportions. No one is saying exactly what this could mean, but if oil hit $200/barrel then look for fuel prices in the $10 range soon. They may have to close refineries on the Gulf coast.That is where 80% of the US refineries operate. This could be a blow to the economy that would force us into matters worse than the Great Depression and it could domino around the world. Considering the amount of food resources that come from the ocean, if the oceans are poisoned, we could see mass starvations and wars for food and energy sources. I can’t stress the importance of finding a way to stop this leak immediately even if a nuclear warhead of a small kiloton ratio could be set off at a distance in the seabed effectively pinching off the well. However, we would then have a potential radioactive oil tsunami around the gulf coast. This is growing worse by magnitudes every 24 hours.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is a lot worse than I initially thought. I just thought it was another story that would fade away in a week or so. Oh my god this is bad... real bad. This has the potential to ruin the ecological systems of not only the gulf coast, but even some areas of the east coast of the U.S. if it's not capped.

There's something we're not being told about this disaster. You don't send SWAT teams to investigate oil rigs unless there's intelligence that points to foul play. Is it possible there was some sort of explosive device that broke the pipe?

I mean it certainly could have been a serious accident, but the reaction by the federal government seems to point to something else.

With regards to the pipe, is there any way we might be able to build a huge concrete cap, in an inverted cone shape, drag it out on a barge or a series of barges over the site, and lower it down to plug the hole?

Then again the area around the hole is probably unstable so it might just collapse and make it even worse. What a freaking disaster. We're going to have to fix this somehow because we don't really have another option. The longer we wait the bigger the impact on the environment and the economy.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Perhaps this is too freakin simplistic?
Slip a larger diameter pipe over tip of the existing one?
the effect would be to reduce the flow of oil into the sea? sure there would be leakage but not as heavy...
the crude could be sucked into the holds of whatever ships are available to load it ....
yes there would be escapage but not near as much as fast....
the next suggestion is if you can do that then why not another bop system on top of the pipe left open till the bop could be welded to the pipe top....then closed slowly or the same pipe could keep on deliveribng the crude to the surface under controlled conditions for loading on ships....
just a thought...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You should read the response to this article (it is below the article) Mother of all gushers could kill Earth's oceans.

pesn.com... Response by Paul Noel
for Pure Energy Systems News.

It gives you a real idea of the pressures, size of the formation, etc. It is beyond belief and you will see why there is no easy fix as some suggest. After reading this, I am even much more worried that they will be able to stop it at all. Please read it though because it is the best synopsis of what we face. I am talking on the Response by Paul Noel.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 2/5/10 by spirit_horse]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Since the 70's, it has been known that mycelium, or fungus, has the remarkable ability to absorb toxic, and even radioactive materials, completely from its substrate. If given enough time, the mycelium will absorb organic matter breaking down any toxic substances into simple elements. The mushrooms containing unwanted substances can then be removed.

Since an oil slick is organic matter, I am sure there is a technique to inoculate by means of "crop-dusting" with barrels of spores. The shrooms are quite edible from an oil substrate as well.

Perhaps it is time to convert those pesky chem-trail-spouting planes into spore-trail saviours of the Gulf.

These links are relevant to Fungus as a Decontaminant.

Here Paul Stamets tells about Micoremediation of HydroCarbons.
www.youtube.com...

Paul Stamets is THE mushroom guy and breaks it down for ya.

www.youtube.com...

Less relevant, but interesting all the same.
www.springerlink.com...

Note: I copied and pasted this post from my own post in another thread which was derailed, hijacked, and trolled for 10 pages like always seems to happen on highly significant topics.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by 16grit]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
So if BP confirmed that it could be in the tens of millions of barrels, but they can't disclose that information.. then I think it very possible that it could be much more. Judging by their initial assessment of how many barrels were being poured into the ocean (1,000) and how many are truly estimated (100,000)... should we use the same math in judging the actual size of this deposit?

100,000/1,000 = 100 * 10,000,000 = 1,000,000,000 potential barrels of oil.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
What would it take to seal off the Gulf and enclose it?

Also, with all of the liquid crude being released and the earth being depressurized, what does this mean in terms for the surrounding land masses? Will they cave?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join