It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scale of the Deepwater Disaster

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
They say the oil getting spilled is about 200.000 gallons a day.
or about 757.082,36 liter

How long is it 10 days or so ? The amount of oil should be something like 2 million gallons or 7 million 571.000 liter.

The Exxon valdez spilled almost 11 million gallons or 41 million liter

So it should take another 50 days to get to these proportions

Didn't they say drilling a new hole would be possible within a month ?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

I wonder what the effect of oil is on sonar. Even if you can see something it may be not enough to do an exact and accurate job as patching a leak. I am not sure that it is an option. ROVs are also not very stable and agile.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Hard to believe but Bill Kristol, neocon scum, was on Fox News today calling for more drilling including ANWR! He also wants to drill closer to shore. So Bill Kristol's foremost thought on this terrible disaster "more drilling".

Utter madness!!!

Link to article and video.

What he meant was that there should be drilling allowed on the Continental Shelf.

Because of the ban on that, they are forced to go into 'deep' water.

Recall, those rigs in the Gulf weathered a CAT 4-5 Hurricane.

Terrorism however, is not something to which the rig is immnue.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ad45a676134.jpg[/atsimg]

Crude ...and NOT-SO-SWEET !

.... build a jetty long enough to reach the disaster zone .....

fill every V8 turbodiesel 4B , with every oil billionare/millionare ,

lawyer/shareholder , and a few bags of cement ,

and drive them off the end !

..... should plug the hole !?

ps. ..... don't slam the door on your way out

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thats BS from UNESCO and the other OPEC countries saying that the damage was minimal and that the oil "evaporated" enough where it did little damage. For one the oil's damage was being done TO DESERT and two there is no telling how much oil has been spilled into the gulf and soil of those desert kingdoms over the decades.

www.examiner.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Did North Korea Torpedo Oil Rig In US Gulf?

The destruction of a BP oil rig in the Gulf Coast has led to a lot of speculation and rumor-mongering on the Internet, focusing on the possibility that rogue Communist dictatorship North Korea was at fault.

A curious point leading people to think sabotage was at fault is the fact that US President Barack Obama has ordered SWAT teams to inspect all platforms and rigs:

I don't know what to make of this.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JoinTheDots

Nice point, funny no one else seemed to have noticed.

Will the people who created this mess be held responsible.

Slim chance of that.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Could they not drop tons of stone and rock down there to cover this? Or heavy metal slabs?

A big container holding enough weight?

At least until they figured out another way...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

Originally posted by Wobbly Anomaly
Report here suggesting that this could wipe out all marine life !!!!

pesn.com...

I do have a few problems with this anonymous author statements.

1) the rig did not collapse upon the hole.

2) BP has yet to precisely announce the size of the reserve, but the indications are that it is less than 100 million barrels. Given the experience of the Gulf War Spill of similar size, the ocean impact may be devastating to the North America, but I highly doubt it will affect ALL marine life in all of the oceans.

3) using a nuclear bomb seems like a ridiculous idea to me. What if it doesn't work? The only thing worse than an oil spill is a radioactive oil spill.
The cure would be almost as bad as the disease.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

I don't doubt that. I just didn't have time to thoroughly research the issue.

But I do think it is safe to say that the effects were still not on the nightmare-ish long term scale one might have otherwise assumed would be the case.

I'll look at this more closely when I have a bit more time.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Yes they will be held accountable as there are countless law suits being initiated as we speak such as the one by Arnold & Itkins LLP.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Do they have any theories on how to "plug the hole" so to speak? I'd love to know their plan for stopping the leak.

Yes, they do. But it will not be done. A small nuclear bomb at the source of the leak would stop it permanently. But that would not be politically correct. It is more important to be PC than solve problems.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaznational

Do they have any theories on how to "plug the hole" so to speak? I'd love to know their plan for stopping the leak.

Yes, they do. But it will not be done. A small nuclear bomb at the source of the leak would stop it permanently. But that would not be politically correct. It is more important to be PC than solve problems.

How could a nuke stop it?

Seriously, if that is possible then they don't need a nuke, there are bombs that can have similar explosive power to a nuke but use conventional explosives... Why not do that?

The sea life is going to be lost anyway, if an explosion can stop it, why wait?

I haven't heard of this nuke solution, do you have any source on that?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
By the way the only viable solution I have found to stop the leak is going to take too long.

Basically they will have to drill a new wellhead nearby, a "relief" well... That would relieve the pressure that is forcing the oil out now... But it is a project that could take 2 to 3 months perhaps longer.

So if there is another way, they better do it. NOW.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by Shrukin89

I wonder what the effect of oil is on sonar. Even if you can see something it may be not enough to do an exact and accurate job as patching a leak. I am not sure that it is an option. ROVs are also not very stable and agile.

It'll be a very slow process definitely.

Another option that I have is by using very large magnets, to tarp the leaking pipe down with some strong fine metal netting. That captures the thick crude oil. Yet it relieves some pressure for the lighter oils that seeps out. It'll be flexible and durable. So it will act as a filter. The magnets could hold themselves down from the intense pressure of the leak. The thing that the magnets would require on them is a pulley, and to have a long strong cable on a boat to adjust the tension of the netting. When the visibility becomes clearer, and the pressure becomes lower, then the robots could manage to weld on the bigger plates. Hows that? I figure strong magnets could take part in capping it until it's fully sealed off.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Shrukin89]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
BP are reporting on their own website that a relief drilling operation will take place www.bp.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by spaznational

How could a nuke stop it?

Seriously, if that is possible then they don't need a nuke, there are bombs that can have similar explosive power to a nuke but use conventional explosives... Why not do that?

The sea life is going to be lost anyway, if an explosion can stop it, why wait?

I haven't heard of this nuke solution, do you have any source on that?

Can you say radioactive oil and radioactive fire? What about the water that will be spreading radioactive junk around?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I wonder who is to blame on the rig. The driller, tool pusher (boss) or the company man (bigger boss). I used to work on rigs and it is very rare that accidents happen that aren't a result of human error or lack of communication from one shift to the other.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
i've emailed Obama. Lets hope they can build the apparatus and delivery system quickly - it's ot that hard to do.

Who ever DREAMED that the annihilation of mankind could be caused by an oil well???!!.....

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wobbly Anomaly
BP are reporting on their own website that a relief drilling operation will take place www.bp.com...

It is going to take too long.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/349d9a1e4ed6.jpg[/atsimg]

2 to 3 months!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join