It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scale of the Deepwater Disaster

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Originally posted by jimmyx
...it will be back to business as normal.

That is not likely to happen for some time.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just a review of how the numbers played out this week...

1,000 barrels per day

5,000 barrels per day

25,000 barrels per day

50,000 barrels per day

"100,000 or more barrels per day"

Does the number stop there?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Great work, Loam. I downplayed the event originally, because the fearmongering was a bit outrageous, and the original reports didn't justify the emotions. Now, I realize that this is much more than just an ecological disaster. I can't see all the possible repercussions from this event, but can see it within the realm of possibility that the collective effects may be enough to equate a deathblow to what's left of our economy. Imagine travel resorts along the coastlines declared uninhabitable waste dumps. Imagine millions lost from fisheries experiencing a vastly expanded dead zone. Imagine the rise in oil costs. Imagine...a hurricane coming along the gulf and spewing oil-water on land causing untold billions in damages. This can go from horrible to unfathomable in no time, flat.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Unless the flow is stopped, the reservoir will drain itself.

The reservoir is reported to be 100,000,000 barrels +

Each barrel is approx 42 gallons.

Draining the reservoir could cause a underwater collapse.

The Gulf Coast won't be the same for decades.

Yet it's been a struggle to get anyone to pay attention to this story.

Excellent source.
gcaptain.com...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Wish I was closer and it was financially feasible for me to go help. I hope there are MANY more like you. Good luck! Can't wait to hear your experiences.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well the oil spill is bad . But I have no idea how they are going to go under the ocean to plug that leak. Its like trying to put a flag on the moon using a pole and some fishing rods .

However If they do plug it . what makes them think it will stay ? natural holes maybe . But was this natural ? or was it a hole that a man dug out ? Its like a bunch of earths Oil that has built up for a long long time.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Nice thread, loam. I have been trying to track it all on the media, but you've done a much better job!

I had a thought last night as I was laying in bed. Maybe it's not even possible, but I'll share it anyway:

Ok, so let's say the worst case scenario happens...the oil keeps gushing and the gulf stream carries it around Florida, and up the eastern seaboard.

Is it possible that if the oil gets caught up in the gulf stream, it could then trap enough heat to collapse the thermohaline conveyor system?

Here is my line of thinking:

In the last 10 years, all the global warming "experts" (let me just say that I don't believe that global warming was man-made...I think it's all due to natural cycles) kept saying that if global warming continues, the warming ocean currents could collapse the thermohaline system, which could bring on an ice age.

Well, we know that oil definitely traps heat....it is one of the properties of oil that we like so much, and it's one of the reasons we use petroleum based products in so many different applications. Could the oil spill get big enough, and massive enough, to trap enough heat so that it would warm the gulf stream current a few degrees, and then collapse the entire thermohaline system (which the gulf stream is a part of) thus bringing on an ice age?

I know it's probably far-fetched, but then again, so is a magnitude of this disaster. Something like this was not supposed to happen, but it did.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by nikiano]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
One casualty of this disaster will be drilling in Florida State waters. There has
been quite a bit of discussion down here. The idea was based on the good track record the oil industry has/had in the Gulf

Drilling in Florida Coastal Waters is DEAD!

DEAD, and BURIED in an unmarked grave.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for posting this... i've flagged and starred it

What i want to know is how do they plan to plug this?
How long will it take?
What will the potential loss of wildlife be?

And

What will they do about it?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Thank you.

I think the mechanics of your worst case scenario make sense, but it would require sufficient oil volume to trap the right amount of heat necessary to impact the related volume of Gulf Stream water, causing a collapse.

I don't know the values of all of those variables, but presumably the reservoir causing the Deepwater spill would be too small to do that....I hope.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Currently, there are no ACTUAL answers to any of your questions, only speculation.

This is ON-THE-JOB-TRAINING for the nation and possibly the rest of the planet.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Does anyone else think that this is the false flag that was set to go off?

I think it is and here is my reasoning why. (Simple really and probably already been covered, sorry!)

- Obama and the RULERS want to Nationalize everything and anything they can. They would regulate a fart if they could find a way.
- They did this on purpose. It reeks of a CIA operation!
- This has caused the public to turn on big oil even more than before!

Just the short and skinny but you get the point and you all already knew this I'm sure. It has all of the writings on the wall of a false flag. Stay tuned to the next few weeks and months...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for an awesome post. Tons of good information. Too bad it is about a disaster of epic proportions. I have read on ATS different theories of how or why it happened. It seems the jury is still out.

I was reading a reply to an article on Huff Post about the spill. It came from someone who sounded rather familiar and educated on the oil rig business. It was his belief it may have been some foul play. This was met by scorn from other readers. It was labeled a "Tin Foil Hat" idea. I wonder why Americans a so reluctant to even entertain the idea? It may be purely an accident but in this day and age, sabotage is a real possibility. One has to admit the timing is curious or fortuitous depending on your point of view.

If the spill goes up the East coast, the environmental and economic costs will be staggering.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Indeed this is catastrophic, but hopefully it will teach us something. Maybe along the lines of switching to "alternative" energy sources. How long are we going to burn "fossil" fuels? We haven't needed them for quite some time, yet something is keeping us trapped within this realm. We as a people should become more involved in finding alternatives. I know it's not "free" energy but we could definitely move to much more efficient sources. Why haven't we? If you don't know the answer, find it. (Most here at ATS would hopefully know already)

I wonder if this shows up on the timewave? Most likely, I 'm off to check. I bet there's already a thread.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Wow ! My compliments for this thread !
oh... Congratulations by the way for what is this ?, your 1001th thread

I think the first effects for us will be the oil prices going up, along with taxes to restore as much as the damage this will cause.

There should be a massive amount of oil there what will be lost cause it mixes with the ocean. It's also massive because they would not drill that deep if it was not worth it.

I would even suggest that the ongoing oil spill will result in a future where nuclear energy no longer is unthinkable because the waste it leaves is no longer a bigger threat then mining oil.
The effects of oil are proven to be devastating for the environment.
We could lose all biological diversity in the golf of Mexico, given the Earths oceans and atmosphere are a closed and cooperating system the effects might not end in the gulf of Mexico and the possibility that it will effect all of us not only economical but also biological is present.

It bothers me a lot. No good can ever come out of this.
Let us pray , meditate to send our so called 'positive energy' out there as much as possible. Who knows, it might help.

With sorrow in my heart I'll end this.

Have a nice day...

[edit on 5/2/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
DRILL BABY DRILL!!!

Yeah, I live on the NE Fl coast and just heard a state biologist suggest that this thing will probably eventually come around and effect the east Atlantic coastline - even effect the St John's river which flows north INTO the Atlantic!

I was involved with the local Sierra club months ago in trying to get Fl to not allow expanded offshore drilling. I contacted my state rep Janet Adkins then and mentioned all the 10's of thousands of leased (land) acres already set for drilling. We were assured this was fool proof and completely safe, and was the only means possible to meet our future energy needs (special interests anyone?).

All the GOP under the genius Sara Palin laughed and gee-hawed mockingly "drill baby drill!" Now Obama has joined the ranks - two sides of the same coin. It's going to be a wildlife and commercial aquaculture disaster for DECADES. Fu**ck the environment: economy full steam ahead.

Now on top of Florida's already screwed economy, they can contend with foul polluted beaches for the indefinite future. Is anyone in government having second thoughts - of course not. Brilliant!

[edit on 2-5-2010 by whatsup]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Is this President Obama's Katrina? I wonder if they will blame him for the slow response/cleanup like ppl blamed Bush

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
And just think, none of this had to happen. We should have all been using Tesla Free Energy technology we've already developed. We've had it for over 50 years now! We would only use oil for lubrication if that. All oil could be replaced with hemp and environmentally friendly alternatives like algae that can produce fuel now.

Just because greedy and evil men have suppressed this technology mother nature has to pay the price again.

War in Iraq - Scam - We have free energy, we don't need their oil
Department of Energy - Total Scam! Spent billions to get us off oil, suppressed free energy has produced NOTHING to get us off oil! Total joke!

All water shortages could be solved because with the Tesla free energy, you have unlimited energy to create endless water from the air or sea. You can bloom all the deserts! You also end starvation because with free energy for tractors and farm robots, you can expand our food production to feed everybody.

This is the truth and we've all had our future stolen. We can get it back, but everybody needs to help fight to take it back. Educate somebody new either in person or on facebook every day! peace

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by projectnsearch

It's all been a scam... I bet since the time of Henry Ford and the original Model T's. Do a little research those. The real kicker however is this... In a World dominated by gross profit, BP had no fail-safe in the event their 3 tier shut-off procedure was compromised. Even worse... This is clear evidence our society (led by the top-rung corporate elite) is stuck in the mode of being reactive instead of proactive. What is the cause you might wonder? The massive measure of greed. Now they're 8-10 days out from building a huge dome for containment. Wow, really had to rack your brain for that idea. This is sickening on a level on incompetence too. Don't let yourself forget...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Solid post as usual Loam.

From whats been loosely discussed on the interwebs, one of the dispersants that BP may use is called "Corexit". Most dispersants are kept secret under competetive trade laws, but its no secret Corexit is a carcinogenic. This should work wonders for the natural habitats and subsequent human consumption. Corexit was also used for the Exxon Valdez disaster.

What truly needs to happen here is that BP should be sued into oblivion, nothing left standing. I hate lawyers but they might actually serve some purpose here. Problem is BP provide jobs, many jobs and obviously a product we rely so greatly on.

src

brill

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join