It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Why your Internet might fail on May 5

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by xatharon

To expand on your post:

Because the individual Service Providers will all be running these processes during roughly the same time, the scope of impact can still be national or global. Individual SP's, as you said, have multiple DNS servers. However most SP's public facing DNS servers communicate with each other. It's the basis for Authortive DNS functions that they do. While internal DNS servers don't have to care much about it, any public one that is affected can create an impact on users.

Even if the individual SP's stagger there work and roll their server clusters one at a time to avoid impact, ISP A may have a DNS query that needs to go to ISP B and it could fail because ISP B is in the middle of it's diagnostic.

If their engineers/admins planned ahead accordingly, realistically no one should notice an impact. However, being well versed in what "planning ahead is" for most Engineers and Admins....the internetz going to diesss!!!! hahaha sorry I keed.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by UnmitigatedDisaster]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I didn't know the internet was as important as oxygen and food. There will always be way to communicate.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A day without internet would be a small vacation.

Also there are festivities here because of the WW2 Liberation, one of the two days in the year drinking in public is allowed.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
inb4
Killer robots from the 11th dimension under the orders of the NWO want to take over cyberspace and install a sterile utopia

thanks for the heads up!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

With that avatar, I would have hoped you said "I have a Kaypro, will that be affected?"

To the OP: If I had not seen this thread, I would have been mad at my provider for having crappy service.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hey guys- I didn't read about any false flag of this kind last week that you all have referred to, but for the past 2 days Ive had an awful time connecting to the internet. My computer said it was connected, yet I couldn't get on.

Im not even close to a computer genius so its probably just me- but I figured Id ask if anyone else had any issues since I saw this thread title and equated the two in my head.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nowayreally

I have been getting the same sort of thing. I have to reset my router and modem to get back online.

Of course I got rid of my other firewall and went with Threatfire and Spybot S&D as my basic protections. I have others but those I left.

I thought the drops were due to that. Charter Cable is my ISP.

They have changed our download speeds to almost double what they were before. It went from max download of 800kBps to 1400kBps so I thought that may have been part of it also.

I swear the connection to ATS over the last few weeks has slowed way down though. I click on myATS and it takes seconds where just a few weeks ago it was almost instantaneous.

Oh well, I am sure nothing untoward will happen. You know nothing ever happens while TPTB rehash something or perform routine practices.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Frankly it doesn't matter what excuse they come up with. It's already clear there are major forces wanting the net to be more heavily controlled, and senators such as Rockefeller who consider the internet the single greatest threat to national security.

If you think they're going to ask all of our permission before limiting the internet, you're out of your head.

If you think they'll even make sure they're honest and up-front about everything they do, you're also out of your head.

I would be shocked if this change didn't reflect some kind of strategy to eventually crack down on the internet. We need alternate communication lines that are NOT regulated.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Thank you for your input! I also have Charter, so that could be the problem. I can see some people go absolutely insane without 'facebook' for the day! OMG!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaddness

In true conspiracy fashion, I will attribute any/all internet funkiness to the impending ATS 2010 site redesign rollout. It's ATS's fault.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I absolutley laughed out loud when I read this post. Everytime I come to ATS and look at "Recent Posts" I see that crappy thread where countries have moved on the map. Yet people still take the time to post on them which justs keep them popping up.... absolute garbage!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Isnt't it a little risky to rule out what has yet to happen?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Claud Hopper

Isnt't it a little risky to rule out what has yet to happen?

OP:

Originally posted by xmaddness
Also, Just so if you are part of the small percentage that may be affected, you do not freak out.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Reptilian overlords, channeled through Blossom Goodchild, caused a magnetic polar shift, which caused a solar storm, which went back into the corona of the sun, causing a CME which fried the top secret Air Force plane that was launched last week, and crashed into the Mayan pyramid, which triggered an ancient clock that ticked down to 0, and summoned Quetzlcoatl, which triggered NASA to start Operation Blue Beam, and spray the sky with chemtrails, causing computer generated holograms of a blue sky (while the world was ending), which made the Men In Black visit the people at every internet provider and told them to take down "The Grid," which is DARPA's version of the internet, and in turn runs the internet.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xatharon
Not sure where people get their information, Verizon alone has 16 Root servers.

Where are you getting your information from, please cite sources. There are 13 root name servers geographically spread across the planet. Verizon does not have 16 root servers, they have a pile of public DNS servers but no root servers.

Root DNS

These servers are individual to each IP. Each IP is charged with hadling the connections. There are only two known goverment 'control' servers one located in the NSA headquarters and one in Edwards AFB.

Again source please, this is simply gibberish at best. Are you referring to Echelon ?

There are no centralized servers that serve the whole world as some sugest. Internet information is located in individual servers all around the world and each IP connects you to them.

The information is not centralized per say, but DNS helps translate IP addresses to names. DNS is hierarchal by design.

Ask an expert and dont just take everything anybody says seriously.
IP stands for Internet Provider.

Are you making this up as you go along ? IP stands for Internet Protocol.
IP

brill

[edit on 3-5-2010 by brill]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the the entier network we have is modeled after the PTB god. It has thirteeen points for routing traffic. The number of parts of the Illumined. the number of parts of thier god osiris. they put it in everything of importance to ruling in the New World Order that is blossoming.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmaddness
reply to post by Faiol

Case in point.

www.wired.com
January 15, 1990 -- AT&T Network Outage. A bug in a new release of the software that controls AT&T's #4ESS long distance switches causes these mammoth computers to crash when they receive a specific message from one of their neighboring machines -- a message that the neighbors send out when they recover from a crash.

One day a switch in New York crashes and reboots, causing its neighboring switches to crash, then their neighbors' neighbors, and so on. Soon, 114 switches are crashing and rebooting every six seconds, leaving an estimated 60 thousand people without long distance service for nine hours. The fix: engineers load the previous software release.

As you can see, even the best engineers at the time, which had all the best intentions, did not see the emergent properties until the system was fully in place.

Depends on what you believe. AT&T officially stated that was the cause but the story floating around at the time was much more ominous. A well known hacker group called Masters of Deception more or less owned nation wide RBOC's and X.25 networks. A hacker by the name of Phiber Optik or one of his members was alleged to have crashed several AT&T switches which cascaded. With the Internet in its infancy it served AT&T no purpose to publically disclose this, if true. It would be better to serve up some half baked "software glitch" story and rest public fears.

Sorry for being off topic but I thought it was an interesting addition to the posted story.

brill

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They just want more control over something that doesn't belong to them the internet is ours and long may it stay his is the only free voice we have now.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobski
They just want more control over something that doesn't belong to them the internet is ours and long may it stay his is the only free voice we have now.

Actually no its a government project that has manifested into the beast we all know and love today. If people are that intimidated by the Internet they should simply stop using it. Good luck with that.

brill

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'd like to add another potential culprit.

Near Earth Asteroid 2010 GU21 Swoops By Earth On May 5

[edit on 3-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join