It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US likely to disclose size of nuclear stockpile: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

US likely to disclose size of nuclear stockpile: report

rawstory.com

US President Barack Obama will likely reveal the size of the US nuclear stockpile at a major UN nuclear disarmament summit next week in New York, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

Citing unnamed officials, the newspaper said various factions in the Obama administration had debated for months whether to declassify the numbers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Not sure what to think about this new approach to nuclear arms ? I have always thought that the less your potential enemy knows about your defenses the better off you are , no ?

Is disclosure the right approach when dealing with ones defenses ?

On a side note , does it seem that nuclear arms seem to be covered a lot more often in the news now a days ? Seems every couple of days we find some new story about nukes making its way to the MSM , no ?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I think the optimists will come around this thread and say this is a step towards a good thing, then I will say no its not, then they will say yes it is.. Then I will get pissed off and say the same sh1t I been saying since GOD KNOW..

F... me once shame on you, F... me twice shame on me, how many times should one get F... before he finds out that he got F...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Nuclear weapons are a different game.

1500 nukes can destroy the world 7-12 times over.

So who cares how many you have once its past a certain number (metaphorically speaking).

The type and delivery method etc are closely guarded secrets, but thats another ball game.

Perhaps all the fuss is about Iran, perhaps all the fuss is about distracting the eye from other important issues (environment for eg.)

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

the atomic bomb is one of the highest concerns; it is the ultimate enviroment killing weapon...???

enviroment is one thing, nuclear arms are the #1 destructive force of our civilization.

we have a ton of bombs, we're safe when it comes to the amount of bombs necessary for plan D, or whatever it is. haha

its like the kid with two of every pokemon card cutting good cards out of his deck so the rest feel they have a chance to win.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
c'mon now. who really believes this? I hope the enemies of the US are as quick to believe this as some people will be. I'd bet that Obama isnt even told about the extent of our arms, so he can say whatever he wants.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier

Wrong!

Over 2000 nuclear weapons have been detonated already. No nuclear winter happened. The world did not end.

You've been buying into the propaganda about nuclear winter.

That's okay, alot of folks believe that stupid crap - I blame Carl Sagan.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Prediction

He will say:

Heap many, heap many...

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I would imagine disclosing the number of nuclear weapons you have would be used to scare people into submission, rather than to compromise your security. It would probably be an inflated number anyway, so it wouldn't matter anyways.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I dont think this is a good idea. I just cant see what can be gained by this,more than likely it will do more harm than good,can anybody see the plus side to this?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Wrong!

Over 2000 nuclear weapons have been detonated already. No nuclear winter happened. The world did not end.

You've been buying into the propaganda about nuclear winter.

That's okay, alot of folks believe that stupid crap - I blame Carl Sagan.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Exuberant1]

The detonation isn't what causes nuclear winter, the debris from metropolitan areas being vaporized and flung into the atmosphere is. Just think back to the havoc that the twin towers caused after they fell with all the toxic building materials and everything inside the building. That was just one building, imagine if New York was completely incinerated, it's 6 nuclear reactors included, and the force of the blast shot it all up into the sky where it would ride the jet stream around the world.

1 nuclear bomb can cause nuclear winter if it's detonated in a large city.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Wrong!

Well those 2,000 have been spread out over decades, they have also been well away from population centres (apart from the 2 obvious ones of course), and I think the majority have been subterranean tests (not checked the numbers for that).

When people say x-amount of nukes can 'destroy' the world, well it's possible, people only live in specific parts of the land mass, so from that point of view of humans then yes, we could very easily take a pounding that could result in our extension, also catastrophic climate change could happen if a large number of bombs (the big city busters) are set off above ground, the nuke winter scenario... Once the scales have tiped a certain amount our planet could become an un recoverable ice ball, scientists think we are very lucky it didn't happen millions of years ago in the past ice ages.

We do literally have the resources to end human life on Earth, and possibly all life period.

new topics

top topics

join