It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update On Breaking News On NYC Evacuation, Car Bomb Was The Cause

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
MSNBC is covering it live now on this breaking news situation in NYC

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Here is the link for NY police special operations and traffic Scanner live audio if you want to listen in on anything that is going on with the breaking stuff.www.radioreference.com...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Thanks for the heads up.
This is scary stuff.
I hope this isn`t part of something bigger.
I have family and friends in the area.
I`m watching MSNBC now,they seem to be the only channel covering this huge story.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Interesting that I heard about this through the Australian News site, and that only MSNBC is covering it.

I don't know if everybody is on edge, but this just happened in Chicago.

www.myfoxchicago.com...

Basically, they found a suspicious package and that they closed the expressway down. There's not much else about it, just that it was a package.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
per listening to MSNBC, new info that this car was suspicious from the get go, it was actually park wrong and the fire was not normal either....

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Yep defenlently a car bomb. see: www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I just got an update on my iphone stating that police are now disarming a device , can anyone confirm ?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
FOX NEWS AND CNN are both covering this situation along with MSNBC

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Yes and now they are expanding the perimeter and pushing people back even further.
This is pretty big.
I hope the reason for perimeter expansion isn`t due to more devices being found.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
So was it terrorists, rightwing radicals, leftwing radicals, latino radicals, environmentalists, chinese, russians, or a very dumb manchurian candidate. Stay tuned to find out.

My guess is far right radicals.

Propane is God's gas!
--Hank Hill

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Thanks, changed channels.
It took them long enough but they are all covering this now.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
MSNBC just reported that there was a small explosion earlier , they presume that it was done by the police . Did anyone hear of an explosion being reported earlier ?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Only heard what you heard.
They think the device failed to work however it was intended but that the police/ bomb squad, may have set off a controlled explosion earlier according to witnesses in the area.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
When scenarios pop up that tie the authorities down and are the main focus on all the MSM I can't help but think its a diversion. I really hope not.

Another bad scenario would be if this somehow gets pinned on the Tea Party. Again, I really hope not.

-Pi

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Another bad scenario would be if this somehow gets pinned on the Tea Party. Again, I really hope not.

-Pi

Me , I am just hoping it doesn't get pinned on an ATS'er

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well, I'm glad I stayed in Brooklyn this evening. Could have gone out, though I would have been downtown not in Times Square.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Evan Kohlmann an NBC News Terrorism Analyst just said, "It's also important to understand that this could very well be somebody who's a home grown extremist. It doesn't take Tim McVeigh to prove to us that you dont have to be from Al-Qaeda to kill a lot of people....."

Have we really come to the point where an American is one first suspects in an act of terrorism?

-Pi

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

It is a car BOMB.
Times Square Car Bomb

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Just thinking out loud ...

Since apparently the box they thought might have been a detonating device was found empty. And from what I can gather is all there was in there was a couple of tanks of propane and a gas can (typical supplies for a street vendor). What is still unexplained of course is an apparently stolen license plate which belongs to a Ford vehicle.

If I was an organization trying to figure out what LEO response would be for a real attack, this is exactly the type of false attack that would reveal it. Even if this just a case of mistaken intent, as in the vehicle owner wasn't up to anything nefarious, they now indeed know New York city's operational procedures and protocols.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
reply to post by Max_TO

Only heard what you heard.
They think the device failed to work however it was intended but that the police/ bomb squad, may have set off a controlled explosion earlier according to witnesses in the area.

Some reports were that two small explosions were heard but they were water cannons being used to try to blow the windows of the vehicle out.

At this time, no actual "explosion" has occurred. The device was either misconfigured, not operational, or was caught in time.

As for the apparent media blackout on this, I would not be surprised. NYC has a big hook in all of the media outlets and they restrict "negative" news that happens in the tourist district until things are nailed down and verified a million times. The last thing the city wants is a non-story to get blown out of proportion before the facts are in.

Hopefully just some idiot acting alone and not part of something bigger.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join