It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update On Breaking News On NYC Evacuation, Car Bomb Was The Cause

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Breaking News.....Parts of NYC evacuation

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK, May 1 (Reuters) - Police evacuated New York's Times Square on Saturday night after a dark-colored sports utility vehicle was found to be smoking and a small "flash" was observed by firefighters on the scene.

Officers at the scene said the evacuation order stemmed from an "emergency investigation" and dozens of officers blocked access to the busy central Manhattan square, which is popular with tourists and theater-goers..

New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said a vehicle had been left in Times Square, with smoke seen coming from it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ndtv.com

[edit on 1-5-2010 by usaman1983]

edit on Sat, 01 May 2010 21:54:33 -0500 by MemoryShock because: Mod Edit - All Caps Title.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Streets in NYC have been evacuated and cornered off in NYC after a suspicious vehicle (SUV) had smoke coming from it and early reports of mini explosion...............................

The Bomb squad have been called in to look into to see if its anything else other than a car on fire it looks......................

per the reports I could find no details yet what the cause of the smoke coming from this vehicle................................

Very Strange that it is an breaking emergency in New York City at this time

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Smoke filled car? Are you sure someone wasn't just chambering their car out? Hmm.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Quick draw Mcgraw, that story just came out!

I was going to write it off as just a car on fire, possibly stolen, then read the part about an explosion being heard.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Sounds like someone was smoking in their car and dropped the lit butt... a small fire starts in the trash / upholstery around the drivers sea. A deodorant can nearby heats up and explodes, causing the small explosion.

Well, its as plausible as anything else

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Smoke filled car? Are you sure someone wasn't just chambering their car out? Hmm.

What does that even mean? Is it another British slang term that I don't understand? Because I keep thinking I've heard them all.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

na, i think he might be referring to smoking copious amounts of weed and turning it into a smoke chamber.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

HERE IS THE LATEST UPDATE

IT WAS A SUSPECTED CAR BOMB

very strange that CNN has yet to cover this story for the last pass hour, thank god that the suspected bomb didnt go off in Times Square

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Local news here is reporting it as a "large" improvised explosive device including propane tanks, gasoline tanks, black powder and a timing device. Glad I was not down there tonight...

Edit to add: 3 propane tanks, 2 or 3 gasoline tanks, unknown amount of black powder. Somebody was certainly not up to any good in that neighborhood.

Location was on the block of where the Lion King plays, and NYPD is now scouring the area for other vehicles that may also contain IEDs.

My hope is that this was some lone nutjob and not part of a coordinated attack. Best wishes to our law enforcement officers on the scene taking care of business.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by nydsdan]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
per NBC news, it was a car bomb. propane and gasooline tanks found in the car.

still investigating. the people in the area seem clueless as to what is happening a few blocks away.

42 to 47th street, 8th ave to broadway have been cordoned off. this is the broadway district, tons of tourists and locals in the area

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Is there any news on a suspect yet?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Here is a live cam of times square if you want to watch the police activity LIVE. www.earthcam.com...

Please excuse the large advertisement in the beginning, but I do see police vehicles and weird things.

PS. It would be cool if someone got some screenshots of this video feed for "future reference"/

[edit on 1-5-2010 by wiredamerican]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
the only update is that they widened the evacuated area again. north of 47th now.

there was a controlled explosion at 9:30. possibly a second one shortly after the first

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I am glad there is no report of injuries or otherwise, glad this ended well. I also hope that this was a random act by a loner and not an indication of more to come

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Your title was very misleading...

I saw nothing that claimed this to be a "car bomb" stop spreading disinformation and fear mongering....

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

not over yet. they've widened the search, which would imply that they fear there are more vehicles. reports of one or two controlled explosions and now there is a massive manhunt underway to find the folks behind this.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

the only update is that they widened the evacuated area again. north of 47th now.

Looks like I spoke too soon

+13 more 
posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

what would you call a car with three propane tanks, two gas tanks and some kind of black powder that was smoking?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
A bomb in a burning car?? Feels more like a warning than terrorism attempt. Quite strange.

add:

I suspect this could lead to more cctv being installed in NYC, perhaps all over major cities in the US.

Under Surveillance – CCTV Cameras In North America

[edit on Sun, 2 May 10 by Jazzyguy]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

car that was, apparently smoking or smelled of smoke. cops alerted. propane and gasoline tanks found.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join