It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were to win the lottery, would it change you, and how?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I am an avid lotto player here in my state, i play only 5$ a week but still, my chances are as good as yours on winning the lotto. I was talking with my wife about this ( yes, i do that a lot:lol

and we discussed in length how this would change how and what we would do in life different than what we do now. My plan would be to stay where we are and build a garage, since we don't have one at the moment.
We love where we live , but i do think we would travel a bit and go see some places we have not seen in this country we live in now. I also believe that helping our children to a certain point would be a top priority , but they are all over the age of 18 so a trust fund would probably be set up for them, also, say you/I won over 12 million dollars as an example, would it be wise to keep it all it one bank or spread it out? The FDIC only insures for up to $250,000 as of today.
So i am wondering how much would it change your life, would you do what you do? or would you go nuts and spend like crazy, go on adventures,and just lose your mind for a while? I know i would buy a Harley.

Thoughts...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
yes it would change me, i'd be alot richer and generally far more happy. i would probably move to america tbh, been something i've wanted to do for a while. either there or some tax haven.

i would set out my winnings into short term spending spree, what to live off afterwards and finally a long term retirement savings account
but i'd enjoy the high life of fast cars travelling the world. and shopping, lots and lots of spending.

before all that id make sure my parents were fine for whatever they needed

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Interesting question. Personally I would buy old warehouses and outfit them with solar panels. Then I would buy water purification systems, and systems that convert humidity in the air into liquid water so I would have a system that didn't rely on anything outside for support. (I live in the midwest so its humid enough that this would work). Then I would buy the industrial size hydroponic systems and grow massive amounts of food and sell them downtown year round.
This would reinvigorate the inner city (at least a little) and it could actually be profitable. But I would sell it for just enough that it would break even. It would also provide more fresh food for a cheaper price and would be a failsafe in disaster situations.

Then I would try to expand this system globally. If it really worked out I would think about turning it into a franchise and using profits to put them in 3rd world countries.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If i won the lotto, id probably eat brand name food for a few weeks, maybe buy a 2004 toyota camray, and if i had a bit lefty over, i might try to buy new guitar or something.

Money doesnt go far nowdays

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Senz20]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
AH, yes winning the lottery. I would use the money to buy out every church in the country just so that I could bulldoze them all into rubble. What a wonderful day that would be indeed!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sense
AH, yes winning the lottery. I would use the money to buy out every church in the country just so that I could bulldoze them all into rubble. What a wonderful day that would be indeed!

I had to laugh at that, but would you go crazy on a spending spree or just Doze churches? seems kind of narrow minded to me..

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sense

I love you.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

If I won the lottery, nobody would ever know, because the first thing I would do is set up a blind trust.

I woulnd't even tell my children or my parents.

I'd keep a low profile, with no bling!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The first thing I would do is buy a home. I have never owned my own home. I wouldn't have to worry about finding a job and working in pain every day. I would invest in something to keep the money coming in. I would help my family and friends and the poor people. I would offer something for the kids in the community so they would have a place to go and things to do that would keep them away from crime. Hell, I don't know, there is so much that could be done, so much to share.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
WOW..the bulldozing churches would send seniors into a frenzy not knowing what to do with their day...Let them have their churches, evil posters.......... I would explore as much as I could of Earth..... Maybe get ATS some new emoticans

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I don't see I could help but not change in some way. I could do a lot of good with bucketloads of money. That would be my primary goal -- to positively affect others who really deserve a break.

We live pretty simply. It's been a struggle to get to that place and that mindset. I don't want to go back to that dark place of want.

I don't want to travel, and I'm happy to drive a '91 whooptie. I'd probably build a farming operation and perhaps improve some schools/salaries for teachers. I know several families that work their tails off and every day is a struggle for them and their children.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Honestly, if I won a million or more bucks, I would probably use everything that was left over, after setting up a comfortable life for my family, to fund political movements (bumper sticker, shirts e.c.t) and educate third world countries on how to feed themselves. I would do nothing through an other organization. I would probably also purchase marijuana seeds by the millions, hire some pilots and attempt to "overgrow" the government lol!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I would invest some in a small business and maybe a stash of silver to hide somewhere. Not good to keep it all in paper. It would not change me, I would make sure of it.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by (C2C)]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
If and when I win the lottery, I wouldn't go out and buy nice cars or ridiculously enormous houses, every cent of that money would be used to make more money. Yes, money to beget more money.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by DrChuck]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ok the 250k is only temporary and no you can put it all in one bank but example of 1 million, you can put 250k in 4 separate accounts in your own name but the (POD) paid to upon death, must have a different name on each account. Usually they are CDs, that are set up that way for people exactly in that situation. If you did hit the lottery for more than 1 mill and took at as cash instead of payments, you could negotiate with different banks for a one lump sum deposit and live off the interest with no problem example 3% would pay you around 30k a year and so on, also would check into China lump sum deposit because they pay even high interest could be as hi as 7% so 70k year per million. But never put more than 1 mill in any bank as lump sum to high of a risk if the bank is to close down as you are only protected at the 250k currently.

At 21 years old I was with a millionaire for many years, I was never happier than the day I left with 20 dollars in my pocket and a lawn and leaf bag of clothes and lived in my car for a few months before getting my own place. So no money would not change me because I would rather be poor and happy with my wife and three kids of 14 years married. But that was me, yes I would put an addition on the house and buy a nice boat because I love to fish and I would go back to school to get my Captains license.

As a biker, first I always support buying America made products, but Harley is not made in America it is assembled in America and is a peace of junk, you are buying a lie, I would challenge anyone to go to a Harley shop and try and find 5 things they sell made in America, 90% made in China. So don’t be fooled and don’t waste your money, get a Honda Gold wing will last you forever and it’s the Cadillac of bikes as far as long rides most comfortable and so is the Mercedes tour. Harley is a very uncomfortable ride and it breaks down all the time that’s why most people trailer there Harleys to rides, when others ride there bike all the way from home to the ride and back again.

A friend of mine did win the lottery in New Jersey he was a bartender for many years and loves his job, he won 2 million took it all in cash don’t know exactly how much he took home after taxes and all, but packed up his bags jumped on a cruise ship and cruised all over the world for almost two years spending every dime of it having the time of his life and then went back to tending bar. He did pay his house off and got a new car but other than that cruised away ever penny and till this day has no regrets.

Nice post enjoyed participating good luck to you and your family.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
My wife have discussed what we would like to do if we won a big lottery prize.

Trusts for our offspring plus some up front cash for each of them to have a nice spending spree for sure. Investments of some type, of course.

Some traveling from time to time.

Then there is a particularly nice, large piece of mostly woodland near where we live that we would want to buy. Build a new house that is solar and wind powered. Hire Amish to do the construction. Those guys are quality builders, that's for sure. I would have a painting studio, large, clean, and comfortable to use in all weather conditions located far enough away from the main house so that my super duper stereo blasting out my favorite music will not disturb my wife. We would have a green house for my wife to play in. And, if they want to, our grown children could construct their own houses to live in on our property.

No big cars. A farm truck and a tractor would be important for us to use, though.

We would open an art gallery. It would be quite enjoyable for me to turn away artists who are so popular around here, but who do ho hum paintings and sculptures, in my opinion. And I would not show any art related to the same ole same ole stuff here of barns and horses. The gallery would be open to the public for free, two days a week. The other 5 days the gallery will be closed.

Twice a year we would hold an exhibition for high school students to exhibit in a contest for a prize of a completely paid for, 4 year education in fine arts at the college of the winner's chosing. Education completely paid for the winner, to include tuition, a books and supplies fund, room and board and a monthly payment to them to use for whatever they want to spend it on. Travel, partying, whatever they want. But, they will have to maintain a fairly high grade average. There would be no excuse for failure, nor mediocrity, because the students will have all they need to insure they can devote their time to their education.

People we meet or read about who we determine are deserving, will receive anonymous funds as a pleasant surprise for them.

A pleasant and efficient waiter or waitress would probably enjoy seeing a couple of one hundred dollar bills as a tip for great service.

Ex

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Great Guestion

I would pay off my house

Start a chain of autobody and repair shops
that gives people a fair shake and cater to women!
Take on the auto insurance companies and get a handle
on that entire sham. Including persuading
the car companies to make a car that is easily repairable.

I would start a large program to teach our young people
about the REALITIES of being in a gang,
and expose them for what they are!

I would go to Italy , and lay on the floor of the Sistine Chapel
and just stare in amazment for a couple days

....and more....LOL

[edit on 5/1/2010 by Ex]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'd still be me.

First, I'd take care of my family and friends. I'd invest the rest, and maybe set up some kind of scholarship or something similar.

Then I'd travel at my leisure. And I'd keep writing.

I have no real interest in a bunch of stuff. I'd like a comfortable home, but mansions and fancy things leave me cold.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
HAHA my parents were just talking about what they would do.

"Our new last name would be Smith. You would come over to our house, find it empty save for a table piled with cash and a note that says 'enjoy the house and the cash, here's our number. You have no idea where we went and have no way to contact us. Please burn this letter.'"

I would pay off all mine and my husband's debts, buy a home outright, two hybrid cars, pay off my parents' debts and home, and put away money for my son, daughter, and sister to go to college and live comfortably on ^_^.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

would it be wise to keep it all it one bank or spread it out?
The FDIC only insures for up to $250,000 as of today.

If you're concerned about protecting it, I would advise against limiting yourself to one currency. Rather than diversify banks diversify currencies and countries. Put a million each in Yen, GBP, EUR, CHF, and CNY. Foreign accounts. Deposit in person and don't touch them. That way if disaster befalls any couple countries you'll still have a few million elsewhere.

Then to be extra paranoid, do a 99-year land lease in some exotic tropical paradise, build a nice house on it with an underground bunker and a couple year supply of food, water, assorted currencies and gold.

That should leave you six million to play with.

or would you go nuts and spend like crazy

That's what I'd do, yes. Life is to be enjoyed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join