It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston in State of Emergency (boil your water) issued for 2 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
'Boil-water' order issued for 2 million in Mass.

A major pipe bringing water to the Boston area has sprung a "catastrophic" leak and is dumping eight million gallons of water per hour into the Charles River. Governor Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency and issued a "boil-water" order for Boston and dozens of other communities.

"The water is not suitable for drinking. ... All residents in impacted communities should boil drinking water before consuming it," he said at a news conference this afternoon.

Patrick said the state had asked bottled water companies to make more water available in the state and emergency drinking water supplies could also be made available to the affected communities through the National Guard.

"I ask everyone to check in on elderly or vulnerable neighbors," he said, and he asked people to avoid "unnecessary use of water, such as washing cars and lawnwatering."

The break is in a 10-foot-diameter pipe on Recreation Road in Weston, the authority said in a statement.

"That is a catastrophic break and we are currently activating the reserves," said MWRA spokeswoman Ria Convery. MWRA officials said nearly two million people would be affected in 30 cities and towns.

People flocked to stores to buy bottled water when they heard the news. In Lexington, an hourlong run on water cleared a supermarket's shelves. In Boston, Mayor Thomas M. Menino declared a state of emergency and took a number of steps to inform residents, including reverse 911 calls and sending officers into the streets with bullhorns. Downtown restaurateurs declared the boil order a major inconvenience.

The failed tunnel connects the MetroWest Tunnel to the much older City Tunnel, as water flows east through the suburbs from reservoirs in central Massachusetts towards Boston, officials said.

MWRA Executive Director Fred Laskey said the leak began between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. today and the pipe continued to break until it failed "catastrophically."

Read the rest from Boston.com

[edit on 1-5-2010 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yikes!
I wonder how much of Mass is affected? I'm going out to eat tomorrow in MA.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Our infrastructure is crumbling yet where did the stimulus money go to? I thought it was suppose to fix things of the nature.. I don't like the rate that these events are happening...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Another Spill Of National Significance?

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Alethea]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I live about 30 minutes from Boston, in Chelmsford actually. And I have, right next to me, a glass of water from my tap. Should I be worried?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
A bit convenient that with this Oil spill, they want people to use as much of it as possible. Draining the reserves.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I am in Boston and not worried about this at all. It is a minor inconvenience at the most. I will simply filter my water and give it a 90 second dose of UV and then drink all I want.

We take our water supply for granted in the US and in general Americans waste a great deal of water on a regular basis. How many of you leave the water running when you brush your teeth?

Water is a precious resource and people need to pay more attention to how they use it.

top topics

join