It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Adult unemployment thread: A crisis only beginning.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
While do some research today I have found some rather disturbing trends for my generation not just here in the US but all across the developed world. One of the major articles I will be citing is from the OECD. I am tired of ats'ers who seem to be reacting to current events like it is end times... Not everything is a conspiracy and sometimes we need to look at the facts and from what I have found today... the outlook is not good...

OECD

Unemployment has risen sharply during the recession, and young people have been particularly hard hit. Even in good times, the youth unemployment rate (15-to-24-year-olds) can be two to three times that of adults, but it has increased much more rapidly during the crisis; even in Germany, young people are now one and half times more likely to be unemployed than prime age workers, while in Sweden their risk is four times greater.

There are currently nearly 15 million unemployed young people in the OECD area, about four million more than at the end of 2007.

In countries like France and Italy, about one youth in four on the labour market is unemployed, while in Spain the level rises to more than 40%.

There are several reasons for this, as outlined in this recent OECD observer article on employment. Young people are more likely to be on temporary contracts and so are often the first to go if companies cut staff. Less skilled young people tend to work in sectors such as construction that have been badly hit by the crisis. People who are unemployed for long periods in their teens and 20s face a lifelong risk of joblessness and reduced earnings. This “scarring” from being out of the workforce means less work experience and can lead to a loss of skills. There is now a very real concern that the recession will produce a “lost generation” of young people with slimmer, long-term, job prospects. Policies for avoiding this are examined in a new working paper, Rising Youth Unemployment During the Crisis, released today, including measures to ensure all young people enter the labour force with a worthwhile qualification and that the gap between temporary and permanent contracts is narrowed.

Why does it seem like the powers that be want all of my "lost generation" to be unemployed and rely on our family for help during hard times... I find it to be rather ironic that the hardest hit group of people during this recession are the young adults that are suppose to be the future for our countries...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think one reason is that older people cannot afford to retire so there are less jobs there. Many illegals are holding jobs that would normally be available for you as well. Too many jobs have been out sourced to places out of the country so there are lost opportunities at every turn. Anyway I am 52 and have been out of work for a year and 8months. I am no longer collecting unemployment and am living off my savings right now. You're not alone in this mess believe me.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

Given some experience, your generation also has one of the worst work ethics I have ever seen.

People that would literally rather lose their jobs than work an extra 2 hours on a single day in a single year to help with a tight deadline.

I personally wouldn't hire anyone under 30 right now. They all seem to be more interested in surfing the internet on their iPhones than actually working. Generation E (Entitlement) or Generation L (Lazy). Take your pick.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Way to generalize sir, that is not the case for many of us... the jobs simply are not there. I have friends with Bachelors degrees that can not get a job. You paint with a very broad brush...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Sure, but weeding them out is easy. Just ask for the time and see if they pull out an iPhone or other video enabled phone. If they do tell them to take a walk.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
I think one reason is that older people cannot afford to retire so there are less jobs there. Many illegals are holding jobs that would normally be available for you as well. Too many jobs have been out sourced to places out of the country so there are lost opportunities at every turn. Anyway I am 52 and have been out of work for a year and 8months. I am no longer collecting unemployment and am living off my savings right now. You're not alone in this mess believe me.

And unfortuantely it is a worldwide mess. The bottom line is all that seems to matter and whilst in the past govts and companies were prepared to spend a bit more if it meant good working environments, good production and (at least in theory) long term outlook in the national interests (particularly regarding infrastructure)now it is just about the bottom line, hence all the outsourcing and cutting corners. Juts look at the emphasis in yearly budgets on perks for individuals such as tax cuts, bonuses, subsidies rather than things that serve communitiies in the long term.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Once the draft starts up you will see a drop in that unemployment rate. The number of soldiers needed for the Iran invasion will probably be huge. German & American troops will be needed to be cannon fodder for the meat grinder. It will also leave more unattached young women available for TPTB breading program after they crawl out of their bunkers following what they believe will happen 2012.
Remember, your government cares about you.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Doctor G

i am working part time and if draft was an option i would go straight away not for the money but to try my best to make sure my fellow friends and family are safe. If it cost me my life for their safety are even change of heart on war so be it. shoot me now.

some die so others can live. lets start a line right here.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I know how it goes, I am 18.

And yes, I will agree with the other poster that "my" generation has a bad work ethic, but that isn't even the problem I think. To be honest, I have seen just as bad work ethic in EVERY age group. I have been very lucky about finding work, I always seem to find it. In an age of computers and very accessible media and communications, it is very hard not to find anyone who when in there free time will use their phone. This is a whole nother' subject if you ask me, but I think, we the kids have been so messed up by EVERYTHING we have seen from the late 80's till now. It is hard not to be lazy when we (even subconsciously) see where hard work gets you. We may be just children to the eyes of MANY who will read this thread, but we are children of 2010 and that alone speaks words I can't.

It might just be who I know but I have never really had to worry about money because I know that I eventually will find someway to make enough money for a month or two.

It is not entirely our fault, but for most kids it seems like the thing to do is get good grades in high school and go off to a 4 year college. These are the ones I think are going to have a very rude awakening if current trends continue. In my observation, many of these kids have NO idea what they want out of their 40,000 dollar + educations. When they get out of school with a small business degree, marketing degree, or what have you, they will just see that that is not how the game works. To make it, you need to know people and I have seen this first hand because I have turned down many "foot in the door" jobs that I did not think I deserve.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I know there are some feckless kids out there but there are some good ones too. Try not to stereotype kids. Guess what? we were both in our teens once. How many over 30s would work for minimum wage?

Actually my best workers were the blind people.. They were never late!

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

You may also want to this thread of mine from eight months ago.

The dead end kids.

It ain't pretty.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Given some experience, your generation also has one of the worst work ethics I have ever seen.

People that would literally rather lose their jobs than work an extra 2 hours on a single day in a single year to help with a tight deadline.

I personally wouldn't hire anyone under 30 right now. They all seem to be more interested in surfing the internet on their iPhones than actually working. Generation E (Entitlement) or Generation L (Lazy). Take your pick.

Interesting that you make such broad generalizations. Especially because I belong in your "Generation E" or "Generation L" age bracket. I worked my ass off all the way through college, got a good job as a teacher, and was cut due to budget constraints (and because I was a first year hire). I am in a specialized field, and unfortunately, most of us are the first to go. I was a salaried worker making about 15k more a year than others in my age bracket. I have a Master's Degree, and I earned every bit of it. I am out of full-time work now, due to budget constraints all around my state. I am not lazy, I don't feel like I am entitled to anything. I have searched and searched for jobs---I didn't care where I went, or what I did. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY will hire someone with a Master's Degree for a retail (or less) job. There is some social phobia about my age bracket being exactly what you describe. I don't doubt it one bit. However, to group all of us into one big group is absurd, and I take great offense to it. You just sound like another miserable old man that would rather look at the bad then look at the good. Sounds like someone needs to grow up a bit.

Oh, and by the way, I don't wear a watch because it chaffs my skin. I use my cellphone to keep time, and to organize my INTERVIEWS and to keep a tally of how many jobs I've applied to (247 right now, 20 interviews, and no takers because they hired someone with less experience and less education to "save money").

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

Yes we have the "You are too overqualified" excuse in the UK also. It seems as if there is a narrow band of those eligible for employment.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

the same could be said about your generation. Many slackers and half wits. Atleast our generation knows how to run a computer.

your generation is the one currently ruining the world!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Put it simply its cheaper for the industry sectors to move out the Westernised countries, and move to places like China/India where the work-force will work 14 hour days for next to nothing and never question that.

There's too many Union laws in the west which prevents profitability for big-market industry (aside from Food Sales) which adopts a revolving door policy on staff recruitment.

Its easier for State GDP to simply put the mass population on benefits than it is to employ them in unprofitable jobs where banks never get return investment and losses would be the inevitable outcome. You'd have people in work but at the cost to the economy. Its much easier to simply play around with unemployment figures.

new topics

top topics

join