It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil spill should have been stopped at Obama.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Just like many other Bush administration policies, Obama backed the same policy that allowed for off shore drilling. A link below sites Bush pushing for off shore drilling and even claiming that "new methods allow drilling that protects habitats against oil spills."

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Yeah, tell that to LA.

So again, the bill starts with Bush, and Obama supports it.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So, we learned nothing from Exxon Valdez then yeah? I mean, these are the consequences. What happened to CHANGE? Thus far, Obama's changed nothing. Not a thing. There is no difference imo between the Bush administration and the Obama administration. Except for maybe the addition of a few new Wall Street tycoons to the executive branch.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
What do you mean by this? Its Obama's fault for trying to get more oil domestically then from OPEC? This was the fault of past regulators that wanted to cut corners on cost issues for fail safe devices. This is a result of greed.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by iamjesusphish]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Waiting so long to try and do anything is Obamas fault. If President Bush had done the same he'd have been crucified in the media. Big damn deaal, this loser is gonna do a flly over, and then what. This isn't like a hurricane you can rebuild from, this will take years, you don't rebuild mother nature. I live on the gulf coast of Florida and when this gets here it will destroy our local economy, as well as our lifestyle. Who's responsible, yes it's BPs rig, but the gubment did nothing to halt this. Those that don't live in these areas are all for drilling offshore, meanwhile I don't know a local here that supports it........it doesn't affect you so yeah drill baby drill. Obama earns an epic fail on this for his lack of action.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well, I wonder if the White House would have been more proactive in sending Federal help if the Governors of the effected states had been Democrats and not Republicans?

Charlie Crist Governor of Florida is a Republican.

Bob Riley Governor of Alabama is a Republican

Haley Barbour Governor of Mississippi is a Republican.

Bobby Jindal Governor of Louisiana is a Republican.

Rick Perry Governor of Texas is a Republican.

Chicago style politics at its finest.

Who do you think they will hire to clean up the oil once it reaches the coastline?

I bet they pay them in cash.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Obama and Bush come from the same stock. I don't understand why anyone thought he was going to bring change. The only thing he is going to bring is the long laid out plan for the United States to fruition.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

What exactly do you believe that Obama should have done? I'm certainly not a supporter of him, but I'm not going to bash him for keeping out of something that he has no expertise in, his advisers have no expertise in, and a situation where his comments and decisions would quite simply get in the way. The government doesn't have a well control team waiting in the wings to come handle a situation like this. Those teams are commercial and already there doing what they can to get the well under control. A Dynamic Positioning drilling rig is on location, or almost on location to begin drilling and trying to get the well under control. The MSRC is also on scene doing what it can to clean up the oil.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zeropistons

Where was the federal help? Just wondering? They knew this was gonna be bad, they can't control the currents or the tides and yet waited to see.......enough what ifs. He sat on his hands on this as he has alot of other things lately, but nothing sticks to the Teflon Pez huh?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I don't think the Fed has or ever will moved that quickly. It's sickening to watch the glop come ashore, birds, fish and sea life sicken and die. Been there done that. I had occasion long, long ago to be the primary point of responsibility to respond to an oil spill off the west coast of the U.S. Most of the action seemed sadly, a shuffling of blame, rather than actual ACTION.

AFTER the action, then the blame for the response flared up again. The whole thing disgusted me, and I don't see much in the way of change -- at least from the FED -- since then.

My truth is, the Fed doesn't move quickly. If there is a blame to be assessed, I'd guess that emergency response protocols -- which should be put in place well prior to the event -- might have been lacking, although I don't know that, just a guess.

It's a horrible, slowly creeping death -- a crude spill -- that keeps on killing long after the landfall.... it kills creatures, it kills plants, it kills jobs, and it kills economies. We, the users of said oil, are somewhat culpable, but are mostly powerless to affect the policies and economic factors that support oil. What we can do, is wean ourselves from petroleum product dependency on a personal level. That seems to not be an option for many people, and perhaps that's something that involves a very radical shift in perceptions to even make a difference.

Do I drive an auto? Yep. Do I use plastic products? yep. Utilize things made from manufacturing? Yep. Enjoy on-grid power? Not so much. Very little. We do what we can, most of us, hopefully.

We will never be able to drill for oil, nor transport it with 100% safety assurance. That's the nature of the beast. I could sit here and second-guess the response to the Gulf spill all day, but even having some experience with same, I cannot know the factors that have played a part in it. I can only urge all of us to wish well, pray if you do, whatever -- hope like hell that this event can be mitigated, oil captured, skimmed, boomed, dispersed and that we seek legislation to enforce a higher standard of emergency controls for these situations.

I have a sinking, deeply pained feeling that this is going to be the most terrible spill in history. Plenty of time for blame and risk assessment later. Plug that @#$@#%er up ! Get it clean, and spend whatever is necessary to protect the shores of the Gulf nations, as well as those southerly of the U.S.

ETA: Obama's fault? His ultimate responsibility, maybe. The Federal goverment is a slow, rusty, badly-in-need of retrofit and lubrication, machine full of redundant cogs and gears. I think it's pointless to try to ascribe an abundance of blame on the President, unless that's your particular hobby.

end/rant

[edit on 1/5/10 by argentus]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Do you happen to use any type of OIL in any of your vehicles? Do you blame the oil stains on the pavement caused by any of yours or your families vehicles on the President also? Or is it also the Presidents fault that you use oil in your vehicles and other mechanical devices?

If you must blame someone, how about blaming the big shots throughout history in the OIL biz that buys out patents and destroys any new inventions and ideas that would operate without the need for oil or gasoline.

Blaming the president for this is just ANOTHER of the IDIOTIC attempts to tarnish him for SILLY reasons.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I hope they will put all these tired threads together, somewhere in political madness.

We can just call it:

"If you blame Barack Obama for the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill, Click here".

Maybe the rest of us can discuss the real failure of the Petroleum industry to care about anything other than their own pockets, even if it means failing to provide standard equipment, and having a protocol which is effective to cope with the massive mistake we are now seeing.

Should it be more regulated, so you can legitimately raise hell at the President?
Or less regulated, so you don't have to be concerned about big government interference?

The rig and the solutions are inadequate. When it comes to learning lessons the hard way, I have a bad feeling that this one is going to be way, way too hard.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Nowhere did I blame Obama for the spill. I do blame him for his inaction thus far. As I stated, if President Bush had done the same, he would have been slaughtered in the press.........I guess the Teflon Prez can do no wrong. as an aside, this will end up affecting where I live, how about you. If ya don't have a horse in the race it's easy to sit back and think this is all about Obama. As he has proved time and again.......nothing affecting us is important, however, if this was to happen else where he'd of had the gubment there first day.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
My point is this: If one is going to support the expiration of the moratorium it is his cabinets responsibility to over see the process whether that be via experts hired on or not. It simply isn't an excuse to say they didn't know about oil...I mean...really?

www.bellona.org...

He also states in his Environmental plans that he is for the very wetlands that are now looking at possible destruction.

www.barackobama.com...

Talk about irony?

Anyways, I'm not demonizing the President. I'm only saying that his plans for offshore drilling have been in the works since his State of the Union address and even before then. He had plenty of time to learn about oil or to implement more secure plans than the one's that have clearly failed today.

top topics

join