It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters rally against Arizona law; congressman arrested in D.C.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Protesters rally against Arizona law;
congressman arrested in D.C.

www.cnn.com...

(CNN)
Thousands of protesters in cities across the United States rallied Saturday
against Arizona's tough new immigration law and pushed for national
immigration reform.

In Washington, police arrested Illinois Rep. Luis Gutierrez at an immigration
rally outside the White House on Saturday.

Gutierrez, a Democrat, was among a group of protesters arrested by police
in front of the White House.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
A Congressman arrested for his political views!!!
Wonder what caused this ???

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Only 534 more to go...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

lmao
the only problem with that is

they'll be back in office by Monday Morning

not quite done yet

20+ Million more illegals to go

[edit on 1-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
At the very least I hope it serves as a catalyst for SOMETHING to be done. And I think both parties are realizing that amnesty is something that will hurt them politically at the moment.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yeah, a catalyst for a race war.. I really hope this doesn't get out of control, but it certainly has all of the earmarks of a significant event in American history. Especially if other states jump on board with and start actively seeking and enforcing illegal immigration laws. The labor force in the U.S. is so accustomed to looking the other way and under the table pay schemes that these enforcement sweeps are going to have a significant impact everywhere.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
these enforcement sweeps are going to have a
significant impact everywhere.

wasn't that the whole intent of the law
to begin with ???

I mean why have a law
if it just sits on the books
like the Federal Immigration
laws do???

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
calling it a race war is in itself a racist comment, it wouldnt be no race war, its be a war between mexican/aztlan nationalists and americans..

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I agree man. Enforcement of Immigration laws is way past due. I just think that in today's trigger happy society this is going to get uglier than it already is.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Anyone or any group that protests against ridding this country of illegals, (CRIMINALS), should be embarrassed to call themselves Americans.

A country as great as America doesnt need these TROUBLE-MAKERS around, so for those protesting, WHY DONT YOU PACK UP AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY ALONG WITH THE CRIMINALS THAT YOU ARE SUPPORTING!! End of problems for BOTH sides. Oh wait, you wont do that because America is so great and you know it. Only LEGAL citizens deserve the BENEFITS that America provides, NOT illegals (CRIMINALS).

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Captain_Sense]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Since he was arrested along with a group of protesters I can only come to one conclusion since he's a politician: he wants attention, and to be a hero among Latinos to secure future votes from the Latino population.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Agreed, it was a racist comment. I did not mean to emply that it was a white/tan/black/yellow/rainbow war of skin. What I see is Illegal Immigrants vs. "The Man" thats it.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by The Undertaker
these enforcement sweeps are going to have a
significant impact everywhere.

wasn't that the whole intent of the law
to begin with ???

I mean why have a law
if it just sits on the books
like the Federal Immigration
laws do???

If the Fed. ignores the illegal immigrants, Maybe they'll also ignore us legal citizens when we stop paying taxes. Hell, they've been ignoring the people's voice for so damn long, that'll be last resort before R$V*L!T!*N

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Isn't being a traitor a felony......it's what this pos is? Have his ass removed from office and put a real American in his seat. Yes, this was nothing but grandstanding on his part, it should cost him......

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock

If the Fed. ignores the illegal immigrants, Maybe they'll also ignore us legal citizens when we stop paying taxes. Hell, they've been ignoring the people's voice for so damn long, that'll be last resort before R$V*L!T!*N

Now there's a concept! Remember the disagreement between the Federal Government and California on medical marajiuana? I think the prospect of enforcing laws in an entire state without the cooperation of state and local law enforcement made the federal government rethink their position and make consessions.

The legal debate here is whether or not state and local law enforcement have the authority to enforce federal laws without the federal government's support. If it's the federal government's position that they don't have that authority, then states may reason that they don't have the authority to enforce ANY federal laws, including tax laws.

So if the majority of people in, say Texas, decide not to pay income tax, and the state and local governments don't help the feds, how many federal agents could the federal government send in to deal with the situation?

I would guess a lot more than they send to deal with the illegal immigrant problem.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I read from some of the organizers of todays protests that Arizona's new law has "awakened a sleeping giant" in the hispanic community but honestly I think their actions today will awaken the sleeping giant of US citizens of all races who finally see that we are being invaded and through the guize of "political correctness" are being controled more and more by those who wish to see our laws broken and manipulated for political gain. Those of us who agree with the new law in Arizona are not at all racists...we simply want the existing laws enforced, we are tired of seeing our taxes go up to support the social services that are freely given out to illegals and their families, and we are sick of being called racist because we happen to be non-hispanic.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Hell yeah, congressman protesting, and getting arrested.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Are these protestors armed?

Had they looted the town?

All these people, most illegal immigrants who are already here, are doing is only asking and appealing for a chance, the way our white ancestors had been doing to the Native Indians for peace and share the land with love and prosperity.

So we, a civilised society and looked upon by the world, must resort to use repression on them to stifle their voices?

What next? Find a General Custer and smash into defenseless humans? Is there no more compassion in our hearts? Is there no better solutions to resolve issues so that everyone wins instead of letting hatred gain the day?

[edit on 1-5-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Are these protestors armed?

Had they looted the town?

All these people, most illegal immigrants who are already here, are doing is only asking and appealing for a chance, the way our white ancestors had been doing to the Native Indians for peace and share the land with love and prosperity.

So we, a civilised society and looked upon by the world, must resort to use repression on them to stifle their voices?

What next? Find a General Custer and smash into defenseless humans? Is there no more compassion in our hearts? Is there no better solutions to resolve issues so that everyone wins instead of letting hatred gain the day?

[edit on 1-5-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

Maybe you shouldn't post in an English forum if you fail to write something that makes even the slightest sense.

But one thing I can say is that they have there chance to come here legally, but they rather take the easy way into America by paying a coyote $200 to get them across the border. While also not contributing a damn thing to society, and being an economic burden on LEGAL Americans, they have absolutely NO RIGHT AT ALL to be here or claim that they have "rights". Rights are for LEGAL CITIZENS, and to say that this bill is racist just proves the point even more that 99% of Mexicans in the US are ILLEGAL.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tempesillest

I can understand your frustration, hate and lashing out at others. But stop for a minute.

1. Where had the illegal immigrants claimed they had citizenship rights? Had you been mis-informed or are attempting to mis-inform? The protest was only an appeal for a chance to life.

2. If you still don't realize it or are attempting to throw smoke on the repressive bill pass by the Nazified Arizona, YOU too are subjected to the instruments of repression in the bill.

Do not presume you are safe because you had done no wrong and am white. PROBABLE CAUSE can mean anything and you CANNOT complain if you become a target for harassment, because you have given up that right to the Gestapo to screw you.

Talk to old ex Nazis still alive who had turned and you will get a better picture. They too thought they were protected, but themselves were doomed in the end if not for the last few good german officers who refused to carry out Hitler's orders.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join