It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA May Day March for Illegal Immigrants

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I am just as opposed to illegal immigrants in this country as the next person, and trust me it pains to see flags of Mexico and other flags. If you are an AMERICAN and you protesting this bill because it will affect other AMERICANS it does not do good to act as though you are nothing of the sort by waving foreign flags. I don't have a problem with people acknowledging their cultural heritage but this protest is suppose to be in support of all americans, AGAINST the marginalization of some american born and legal citizens over the basis of their appearance.. This a protest for the rights of ALL americans. Im glad there is atleast something we can agree with here.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
It was against the bill that give police officers the power to constantly harass american born citizens and legal citizens/residents in this country on the basis of what they look like.

You know what? I would personally be willing to show an ID to prove I am legal if it helped prove it wasnt racially motivated.

Which might be the bottom line on all of this, drum beat the race issue to get all Americans to agree to some form of real ID or some such.

Who gives a damn about Americans in this country with hispanic/latino backround. They are all the same after all? Right?

Whatever. In New Mexico, it is often the hispanics who are the hardest on the illegals and who make fun of them and call them names. Clearly, people can tell them apart, despite the fact that they are all tan.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by Southern Guardian

That's about a tired argument.....spin it how you want,

Whats there to spin? You did not even address my post directly. How is there not a double standard being set here by a state where there is law that you don't have to carry papers around for weapons/guns on ya yet if you have to carry your papers if you look out of place? You refuse to see the double standard here?

The illegals need to go,

Where in my post did I mention the 'rights' of illegals? This is a typical tactic for supporters of this bill. Shut down everybody in opposition to this bill as somehow defending the rights of illegals when the argument is no such thing.

there is nothing racist about this bill

Yep thats it. There is 'nothing racist'. Just one liners as 'evidence' for this bill and thats it. Thats all I get.

Why don't you take your head out of the sand? You do know this bill was put through purely to pander to desperate disgruntled voters like yourself here for 2010 right? If the Republicans and other proponents really gave a damn about the illegal issue facing this nation, facing border states, they would have put out much more tougher laws to regulate and punish employers who continue to hire illegals (but they decided to take focus off that issue as they gain from it just like the rest!). If these individuals behind the bill really gave a damn they would not have advocated for more troops to be put out into foreign wars, away from the borders.

This bill is a joke in so many ways interms of its effectiveness to solve the problem of illegal immigration, instead it allows place for irrational fears and beliefs to settle. In a years time there will still be the issue of illegal immigration facing Arizona and other states, and what will be next?

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

If you are an AMERICAN and you protesting this bill because it will affect other AMERICANS it does not do good to act as though you are nothing of the sort by waving foreign flags.

Thats the problem. Most of the people protesting arent Americans. And they dont care what impact illegal immigration has on Americans. Of any ethnicity.

They are waving Mexican flags because they are Mexican. And they they dont care about America, they care about themselves, and want what America has but dont want to be loyal to her and her laws to have it.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

It was against the bill that give police officers the power to constantly harass american born citizens and legal citizens/residents in this country on the basis of what they look like.

You know what? I would personally be willing to show an ID to prove I am legal if it helped prove it wasnt racially motivated.

Oh really? You would not mind having to carry your birth certificate or passport day just to take a walk down to the grocery store? You would not mind having to prove your a citizen day by day just to take your kids to the park? No no let me just restructure this thought for you. Would you mind going through the international temrinal at the airport everyday?

Whatever. In New Mexico, it is often the hispanics

Yep Im sure they'll enjoy being picked out on a daily basis. I'll leave you to watch how this bill works over time.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Agree again, SG. Let's not make this a habit, okay?

As with many similar protests, the perception of them are charged with the observers own preconceptions. The nonAmerican flags are an annoyance, irritant, perhaps, and innapropriate IMO, but far from the most important facet of the demonstration.

I happen to disagree with the American citizens there that are against the Arizona legislation, but glad they still live in a country that allows such disagreement.

In regard to the carrying of identification, hell, I have to do that anyway, as does most everyone that is a part of the economic system. It's no skin off my back. I personally -- and not pushing this ideal onto anyone else -- wouldn't object one whit to being inconvenienced by having to stop, take a few moments and show my identification, if it would root out and legally deal with those who use my country's resources illegally.

Would it piss me off to forget my i.d. one day and get hauled off to jail temporarily until my citizenship could be affirmed? Oh yeah. But...... who would I have to blame but me?

cheers

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
What we are seeing is an army without rifles, citizens of another nation, invading the US under the cover of an american 5th column.

Wake up folks those are not american flags they are flying.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

This was not a march for illegal immigration. It was against the bill that give police officers the power to constantly harass american born citizens and legal citizens/residents in this country on the basis of what they look like

No, that's only if you flip the story and make unjust hypotheses on what a police officers actions would be. Along with the fact that all they are asking for is ID during an encounter with police. What this rally was REALLY for was to rally against the bill ....... because it targets Hispanic (the vast majority, 75+% are Hispanic) Illegal Immigrants. They want AMNESTY.

EVERYWHERE you go law enforcement can essentially demand you to 'show your papers please'.

Wrong. A police officer could only ask "for papers" during a crime .. like a traffic stop, domestic violence etc. Liberals like your self will love to hide behind the German WWII era saying or the pathetic attempt to deflect the issue with race. You have to show ID encountering police anyways, the only thing changes is that when a police officer can tell you're illegal... you get sent to the deportation line. Why do you have a problem with that? Not because you're trying to defend the rights of naturalized citizens.... but because you're against any and or all forms of immigration reform.

Who gives a damn about Americans in this country with hispanic/latino backround

Please, your self righteous Liberal bantering gets nowhere with me. The bill targets ILLEGALS .. if you're here legally and you have your green card YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. You get pulled over and the police ask for the document, you provide, move along no issues. Don't have it, can't prove anything then you become suspect. IF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DID THEIR GOD DAMN JOB WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS ISSUE?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Yes Legal and ILLEGAL Mexicans flying Mexican flags, marching on American streets, protesting a new ILLEGAL immigration law passed in AZ are doing it because Americans are going to be harrassed by cops....RIGHT...I am so sure the ILLEGAL Mexicans are so concerned about us being asked for OUR papers that this is EXACTLY why they bonded together for this march flying THEIR nations flag....how thoughtful of them to think about the AMERICAN CITIZENS rights....I bet they were so outraged by how we as Americans are going to be treated that THAT is why 1000 of them will cross the border tonight...to stand up for OUR rights as American citizens against this oppressive government who dared pass this law....

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If those wanting to effect change would actually encourage the government to enact the change in the law that would be one thing, but the illegale immigrants and their supporters do not want change.
I am forced to wonder how the illegale immigrants feel when someone they know dies in the attempt to cross the boarder? Or are they happy to be packed into tight dangerous places to cross the boarder illegally?
All of those who are against the AZ law, they do realize that parts of such is word for word the federal statute that is on the books currently, the only difference is that the AZ law puts teeth behind the law and government actually has to do something. I wonder if the supporters of the illegale immigrants, how would they react if there was a protest against them, and people started to do things like burn the mexican flag?
People scream human rights, yet fail to realize that the greatest travesty of human rights occures when those who are illegale immigrants start to work to cross the boarder, by giving everything including their very dignity to come into a country.
And what would have been the consequence if the officer who was shot had died?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Oh really? You would not mind having to carry your birth certificate or passport day just to take a walk down to the grocery store? You would not mind having to prove your a citizen day by day just to take your kids to the park? No no let me just restructure this thought for you. Would you mind going through the international temrinal at the airport everyday?

Actually I have an ID that meets the real ID requirements. And I dont mind having to carry it. You know, I already carry ID everyday, when I go to the store, etc. So no, I personally wouldnt mind having to do this. I doubt I would be asked to show it, as I clearly have an American accent, but if I did, I would gladly show it. If I happened to not have it on me that day, I would go through whatever procedure I needed to go through to prove I had it. Just like I do if I forget to put my insurance card in the car and get stopped. Or if I forget my license. Its not like every American isnt already subject to some measure of "prove who you are." For some it would also include, "and prove you are here legally." It would not break my heart if that was added to the list of crap I needed to prove anyway.

My real mother got her home broken into and all her ID and birth certificates, SS card, etc. were stolen. You think she had an easy time getting a new ID? Its not easier to prove who you are, and that you belong here because you are white. Try it sometime. It was amazingly difficult. Which to me makes me even less sympathetic that some poor illegal might be inconvenienced having to prove they were here legally.

You are also exaggerating what will happen to make your case look more dramatic. They arent just randomly stopping people. They make that very clear to anyone who doesnt have an agenda that prevents them from understanding that.

Yep Im sure they'll enjoy being picked out on a daily basis. I'll leave you to watch how this bill works over time.

In New Mexico, "they" would be the ones enforcing any law. Hispanics are cops in some states, you know. Perhaps not in your version of America, but they are in mine. "They" hold public office, "they" are law enforcement, "they" are real citizens and they dont slink around in the shadows terrified whitey is going to do something to them.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Honestly I would not mind proving my citizenship day in and day out, I am proud to be a citizen, and while not being illegal I would have nothing to hide or worry about.

I can drive around Mesa, Arizona and point out the HUNDREDS of illegals hanging around at home depot, gas stations, whatever looking for day labor. It is really not that hard to spot illegals out and it would not require using checkpoints within Arizona. Or getting harassed by police.

All it takes is the LEGAL Americans to take a stand together against this disgusting problem of illegal disrespectful immigrants, and to send the greedy contractors and business owners who hire them to jail to rot.

It seems the only people who have a problem with this bill is politically correct idiots, or the illegals themselves. I say the hell with you both.

GTFO of America

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't disagree with that at all .. they do deserve jobs, clean living conditions, a good infrastructure and all that we take for granted.

However..

They also need to respect us, which they don't, they only want to use us.. regardless of what country they come from, be it Mexico or Russia, they are still using us and disrespecting us.

Get in line, come in the legal way, follow the rules. Then reap the rewards of your labor -- it's the American way.

Respect has to go both ways. Your country "has taken a group of people from tremendously impoverished places difficult lives, and have successfully branded them as a bunch of criminal opportunists hell bent at exploiting Americas generosity. Which is totally ironic since first world exploitation of the third world has historically been the driving force behind creating that poverty they're trying to escape in the first place."

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

That's about a tired argument.....spin it how you want, this is about ridding ourselves of this infestation. The illegals need to go, the borders need to sealed and life needs to be made better for Americans....not criminals from another country............again, spin it how ya want, there is nothing racist about this bill except the lies put in place by criminal apologists....epic fail.

Hmmm... "infestation" isn't that what Hitler said about the Jews? But no I won't play Glenn Beck. But again, its funny to me how the same people supporting this bill are the same ones screaming to keep government away from them. "Keep you're government hands off my medicare!!" But at the same time "Life needs to be made better for Americans!" Oh the idiosyncrasy.

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Yes Legal and ILLEGAL Mexicans flying Mexican flags, marching on American streets, protesting a new ILLEGAL immigration law passed in AZ are doing it because Americans are going to be harrassed by cops....RIGHT...I am so sure the ILLEGAL Mexicans are so concerned about us being asked for OUR papers that this is EXACTLY why they bonded together for this march flying THEIR nations flag....how thoughtful of them to think about the AMERICAN CITIZENS rights....I bet they were so outraged by how we as Americans are going to be treated that THAT is why 1000 of them will cross the border tonight...to stand up for OUR rights as American citizens against this oppressive government who dared pass this law....

While I agree that carrying Mexican flags probably does more harm than good to our cause, the KKK often marches with Nazi flags(which is way worse) and no one throws a fit. In St. Patricks day people fly the Irish flag and we're all okay with it. And no one says a thing about people flying the Confederate flag. I also wish you would not generalize, there are honest legal Americans in those protests that really are worried for American rights. But essentially this law gives room for that type of thinking, put everyone who happens to be of a certain race or ethnicity in a group... like you just did.

Originally posted by tempesillest

Honestly I would not mind proving my citizenship day in and day out, I am proud to be a citizen, and while not being illegal I would have nothing to hide or worry about.

I can drive around Mesa, Arizona and point out the HUNDREDS of illegals hanging around at home depot, gas stations, whatever looking for day labor. It is really not that hard to spot illegals out and it would not require using checkpoints within Arizona. Or getting harassed by police.

All it takes is the LEGAL Americans to take a stand together against this disgusting problem of illegal disrespectful immigrants, and to send the greedy contractors and business owners who hire them to jail to rot.

It seems the only people who have a problem with this bill is politically correct idiots, or the illegals themselves. I say the hell with you both.

GTFO of America

I don't doubt that you could. But that really is the problem, no? You can't go around doing that. If someone said the same thing about Jews, let's say Hitler, you would condemn it. Nah but these brown people are less important than Jews so lets not compare.

"politically correct idiots, or the illegals themselves" yes lets not listen to Americans because they don't happen to agree. The tyranny of the majority, I think its what its called. Let's kick out everyone that doesn't agree. "Sieg Heil!!!!"

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

HAHAHA

THANK YOU!.

I think that is by far the best arguement Ihave heard onthis illegal immigration issue. (yourlast post)

Why are people so blind not to see these things?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Remind me again?
We knew that there was going to be a rally of hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens.
WHY WASN'T ICE THERE TO SHIP THEM HOME!!!!!

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Okay let's clear something up about New Mexico and hispanics...
and I beg your pardon but I'm going to be a bit rude and blunt but it is true

First not all Hispanics are created equally...
Most of the families that settled here are old world spanish roots going back to the 1600's some small towns still speak in a three hundred year old Spain spanish dialect, what I was taught to speak BTW...

But these folks have no love of Mexicans.... and vise versa...
We use the phrase mojado instead of wetback and those are fighting words... to be fair they have the same ill will towards Texans...

I kid you not... in saying the racism between the old Spanish families here and Mexican Nationals is every bit on par with what black and white folks endured back in the southern states... here Spanish means elite, whitecollar, El Patron... Mexican means labor, blue collar... take a close look at who's in our top governmental offices and you'll see that tends to be the rule rather then the exception... so when you debate Hispanic friendly states, keep in mind despite outward appearances New Mexico is not as friendly to Mexicans as you'd think... exploitative is a better way to put it

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
Remind me again?
We knew that there was going to be a rally of hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens.
WHY WASN'T ICE THERE TO SHIP THEM HOME!!!!!

..Because, ..5.., to many of this population they are home.

None of us, including myself, are in favor of the homicidal thieves drug cartel aliens remaining here. We also want them out of our country. The sooner the better.

But think about the person who has been here for twenty years or more. Who has raised her family here, works here, is a law abiding person who respects American values, and adheres to them? Who wants to legalize her status but hasn't been able to because of the red tape involved, or for some other reason?

Don't you think this is now her home to? Because I do. You can't just uproot somebody from their home. If somebody told me to just pack up and leave tomorrow, I wouldn't know what to do. I'd be thrown into a tailspin, and so would you.

It's just not that easy, and not as simple as some on here are making it out to be. This is not an easily cut and dried issue, but one that needs to be examined on a case by case basis. The government will never have enough money to arrange or execute such assessments.

So the answer is, we don't have a workable and fair solution to this issue. We can't say "some are criminals, so all have to go". We can't say "Some are law-abiding and productive, so all can stay".

Somewhere there is a middle ground, but we haven't found it yet.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

So the answer is, we don't have a workable and fair solution to this issue. We can't say "some are criminals, so all have to go". We can't say "Some are law-abiding and productive, so all can stay".

There is no middle ground. They are illegal aliens. They are all criminals. The heat has been on since 9/11/2001 and they have failed to self deport even as American citizens have repeatedly voiced their displeasure. Ten years! And they still invade across the border. Enough "middle-ground".

Deportation is the answer. Legal immigration is the answer. Moral relativism is the reason these people suffer. They do not belong here and have had ample time to reject their communist, jihad-sympathzing puppet masters. They have not. They are not becoming Americans. They want to destroy America. Eff that.

My ancestors immigrated to America legally and they thanked God and kissed the ground when they got here. Then they learned English and became Americans.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

There is no middle ground. They are illegal aliens. They are all criminals. The heat has been on since 9/11/2001 and they have failed to self deport even as American citizens have repeatedly voiced their displeasure. Ten years! And they still invade across the border. Enough "middle-ground".

Deportation is the answer. Legal immigration is the answer. Moral relativism is the reason these people suffer. They do not belong here and have had ample time to reject their communist, jihad-sympathzing puppet masters. They have not. They are not becoming Americans. They want to destroy America. Eff that.

My ancestors immigrated to America legally and they thanked God and kissed the ground when they got here. Then they learned English and became Americans.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

We're are your ancestors from and when did they get here exactly? And can you point to all the communist, jihad-sympathizing Mexicans please?

Being angry is no reason to scream BS out your behind. The first settlers on this continent were "illegal immigrants" only you people like to call them "settlers" cause it suits your agenda. Everything is fine and dandy until other people try to do the same and then you have a problem with it and cry LAWS! LAWS! LAWS! The whole capitalist system is based on taking advantage of people and yet when a brown person can do the same job you can for less you say it isn't fair. Fair? Life isn't fair. And never will be.

I wonder if native Americans thought of deporting every immigrant that came from Europe. But if you have the means to overpower the original group it's okay... right?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3vilscript
The first settlers on this continent were "illegal immigrants" only you people like to call them "settlers" cause it suits your agenda. Everything is fine and dandy until other people try to do the same and then you have a problem with it and cry LAWS! LAWS! LAWS!

Well maybe we should do what the Natives did in some cases and declare war on the illegals. Everything is fine and dandy until other people try to do the same, right?

Edit to add,

Bringing up how badly things turned out for the Native Americans is NOT an argument in favor of allowing illegal immigration, btw. It clearly would have been in their best interests to prevent it.

Just because they didnt foresee how badly it would turn out letting a few foreigners in who didnt give a crap about their way of life does not mean we need to do the same thing.

And furthermore, it isnt about white people taking from brown people. Mexicans were perfectly happy taking from Native Americans too. The game of "displace your neighbor and take their resources" wasnt invented by whites. It is as old as people, and everyone has played it.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join