It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Guitar Should I Get?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

This is a good guitar, right?

Very nice! I think you will find the on board tuner and eq very useful. Can't wait to hear you pickin and singin.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by TheAssociate

That's a great idea! Thanks!

Guys. After playing the guitar for the afternoon, I realized that it's just too big for me. I took it back this morning and exchanged it for the one the store owner had picked out for me the other day. He said he knew I'd be back. He's been teaching guitar for nearly 50 years and he knew that body was just too big for me, but didn't want to push it.

I absolutely LOVE this guitar! www.gregbennettguitars.com...

It was more expensive, but it has a pick-up and the sound is great! And it "fits" me much better. I also got a case and the cable, so I can plug into my computer. He gave me a set of his best selling strings.

So, I'm all happy!

This is a good guitar, right?

W00t a new guitar! and I am happy that you're happy

Well I can't say that I know much about Greg Bennet's guitars beside that I know they had a couple of Greg Bennet guitars in our local guitar store, and they were quite expensive here in Europe.

And I know from reading magazines that they make good quality guitars.

This guitar looks very nice with a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides and good Grover tuners - so this is definitely a good guitar.

And it's very useful to have a acoustic guitar with a pickup and 4 band active EQ with build-in tuner!

This opens up a lot of possibilities for you regarding being able to record on your computer.

Besides computer recording program software there's also a bundle of Guitar Amplifier Modeling Softwares available.

Modeling amplifiers simulate the sound of well-known guitar amps, cabinets, and effects, as well as simulating the way traditional speaker cabinets sound when mixed with different types of microphones

Here's a forum dedicated to guitar amp modeling with some information about different amp software:

www.guitarampmodeling.com...

This is generally mostly for pure electric guitars, but there are a lot of fun amps and effects which you can use also with an acoustic/electric guitar with a pick-up.

But the most important thing is that you have finally found a guitar that feels good for you, so you can play again!

And I think it's cool that you now have an acoustic/electric! I don't think you will ever regret this - it opens up so many possibilities if you want to record your guitar in the future without too much hassle.

I am curious though, how much more extra did you have to pay for this beautiful guitar?

Well done BH!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Ooh! Thanks guys! I went into this not knowing much at all and I feel like I've gotten quite a good education over the past couple days.
I SO appreciate all your input!

Originally posted by Chevalerous
I am curious though, how much more extra did you have to pay for this beautiful guitar?

The Ibanez was $199 and this one was $349. Eeee! I have a hard time spending money on myself. But my husband told me to get the right one, even if it was $500 or $700. He's incredible. I am totally supportive of him buying anything he wants for his bike or his computers, or whatever, but when it comes to me, it's very hard for me to spend money.

Anyway, I just hooked it up and practiced recording with Audacity and it sounds REALLY good! I'm going to have a blast!

Thanks again!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Yeah! I think this was a great choice! - a good quality guitar is well worth the initial investment!

And you will probably have this guitar for a long time!

You just have to think; "Because I'm Worth It"

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Beautiful guitar, BH, and all the moreso since it fits you. I sometimes sit on the back porch in the dark and play and find myself wrapped around my guitar like a lover. My Bride isn't jealous -- she knows she's #1. ;o)

For the last coupla years, I've been dabbling with backing tracks. There are many sites, but This one doesn't cause any problems with my computer virus protection/firewall. There are some that it is very suspicious of. Backing tracks can be fun for those familiar songs you love, or if you just want to ROCK!

Good luck with the building up of your calluses! I play pretty much every day, and I really treasure those calluses..

Wonder how long it's going to be before you get an amp

WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO ROCK SALUTE YOU!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

If you're gonna be recording directly into the computer, unamped, you need a DI Box.

This guy explains it pretty well:

As these are HiZ outputs, they are meant to go to an amp. You can plug it into the line input of your mixer and sometimes it sounds good. However, you might notice some interaction with computer monitors and other electrified fields providing you with your old friend, Mr. Hum. Using single coil pickups hum is at its worst. Humbucking pickups reduce the chatter a bit, but if you boost your signal there you are again.
Source

In other words, the signal directly from the guitar isn't strong enough by itself, it has to be boosted.

Give Zzounds.com a try. They have at least one expert in pretty much every field in music on staff and they'll point you to exactly what you need.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I got a LightSnake USB Cable and it works great. I already recorded it with several vocal harmonies and it worked great. Plenty of sound, I actually had to turn the guitar all the way down.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Gotcha

I thought you meant you were going to be connecting the guitar to your soundcard directly with a 1/4" cable.

Glad ya found one that suits you, and hope ya have lots of fun.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
My first attempt at doing something with my guitar.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Great lyrics, finger pickin, production, harmonies, but most of all...

touching and heartfelt!!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I agree, very well done!

Perhaps I'll post some songs too, you've inspired me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join