It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Arizona Declare War?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Can an individual state (of our United States) delcare a state of "At war" with other country i.e. Mexico claiming a "state" emergency when the U.S government has failed to secure its soverign borders? What more does it take than the murder of Americans on US soil by criminals of a bordering country? We take definitive action against Somalia "pirates" and islamic "terrorist", heck we even arrest American Citizens who are labaled "terrorist" but Mexican criminals can come and go comitting crimes that are illegal in both our country and theirs?
Call it what it is a "Border War"!

[edit on 1-5-2010 by jbmitch]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Unless there's some loophole I'm unaware of, declaring war is a power given solely to Congress. Individual states don't have the money or manpower to declare war against an entire country, so even if there is a loophole it would be a very very bad idea.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

The constitution is out the window anyway. The president and the military have killed people and bombed countries without congressional approval for decades now. So why not? Laws don't seem to apply to anyone in power anymore (they hardly ever did). But what would declaring war on mexico achieve?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

Declare War... no
Start a War... yes...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
well I had called it the Alien War in another thread
but I think the act of declaring war is kinda outdated.
As no entity in the US has legally declared war on
another since WW2.

So I assume it would be the same here.

You do not have to declare war
to be at war.

However, that doesn't sit well with our Constitution
but it is done, none the less.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

The Major says no, and here is why:

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

www.usconstitution.net...

Emphasis the Major.

Declaring War is an Enumerated Power of the Legislative Branch.

Dismissed.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by time91

ut what would declaring war on mexico achieve?

Well that was part of the intent of the post. I would assume that the way we deal with illegal incroachments across our borders would change. More latitude by civilians to protect their property and the right to apprehend criminals on either side of the US Mexican border. A "State of War" would also precluded any "due process" or "probable cause" issues with illegals / criminals coming accross the border into the US and kidnapping and or murdering US citizens.

link   
reply to post by time91

ut what would declaring war on mexico achieve?

Well that was part of the intent of the post. I would assume that the way we deal with illegal incroachments across our borders would change. More latitude by civilians to protect their property and the right to apprehend criminals on either side of the US Mexican border. A "State of War" would also preclude any "due process" or "probable cause" issues with illegals / criminals coming accross the border into the US and kidnapping and or murdering US citizens.

link   
No way. But if attacked it could deploy resources such as it's national guard if available. Any attack would be an attack on the USA but I doubt the current administration would back it up.

Hillary would probably give Mexico Phoenix just like she's doing with Israel.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Loken68]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

Hmmmmm... From what I've heard the border is already similar to a war zone. I guess it would change how things were going but then would you consider illegal immigrants mexicans?
I'm sure many of them would consider themselves 'americans'. Look at the protests that they held when the law first was in the news. They feel entitled even if they legally are not.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Loken68

But if attacked it could deploy resources such as it's national guard if available. Any attack would be an attack on the USA but I doubt the current administration would back it up.

Exactly my point ..Americans are being attacked, abducted and killed by Mexican citizens.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Wow, you serious?
Theres murders happen all over the world and the way they handle this, apparently (so dont hold me to it), is they find the criminal and jail them.

I guess it would save a lot of public spending and all the paperwork if they just declared war on everyone.

Priceless

Besides i think youve got enough on your plates with the war in the east before you go starting more.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by jazz10]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Declare War... no
Start a War... yes...

End it ...yes....symantics..the tool of a diplomat!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

Call it what it is a "Border War"!

a war with active militant-terrorists, an army of drug cartel insurgents, both kidnapping citizens and murdering both citizens and illegals that invade their drug territories.

the Fed supercedes the State right to declare an emergency or to declare a state-of-war.... well, the Governor can declare a state-of-emergency but the Fed Gov't does not have to concur.

this is the ineffectual War-on-drugs that has been going on for decades and has nothing to show for its efforts but a littered landscape of dead bodies and ruined lives at something like a Million per corp$e

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

Thanx for the update on the powers of congress. How about the power of a sovernign state declaring war..State of Arizona against Mexico. The mandate would be "acts of war" committed by the people of Mexico against the soverign state of Arizona. Further, the USA (Congress has abdicated its authority simply by its failure to respond effectly).

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

Duplicate post

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbmitch
reply to post by DaddyBare

Declare War... no
Start a War... yes...

End it ...yes....symantics..the tool of a diplomat!

Maybe the real question should be
Since the Feds knew all along how bad things are... was their inaction the cause of this war (of words, for now)

Don't ya just love semantics?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

It takes an act of congress to engage the US as a country in a "State of War" I'm talking a State going solo! Bad idea...shouldnt that be up to the state of Arizona to decide?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
lets have a look see at the opposing forces shall we...

The principal units of the Mexican army are nine infantry brigades and a number of independent regiments and infantry battalions. The main maneuver elements of the army are organized in three corps, each consisting of three infantry brigades, all based in and around the Federal District. Distinct from the brigade formations, independent regiments and battalions are assigned to zonal garrisons (45 in total) in each of the country’s 12 military regions. Infantry battalions, composed of approximately 300 troops, generally are deployed in each zone, and certain zones are assigned an additional motorized cavalry regiment or an artillery regiment

The Army has a Special Forces Corps unified command with 3 Special Forces Brigades, a High Command GAFE group, a GAFE group assigned to the Airborne Brigade and several Amphibious Special Forces Groups. The Special Forces Brigades are formed by 9 SF battalions. The First brigade has the 1°, 2° y 3° SF battalions, The Second brigade has the 5°,6°,7° y 8°, and the Third brigade has the 4° y 9° and a Rapid Intervention Force group.

Units
1st Military Air Station - Mexico City International Airport

General Coordination of the Presidential Air Transport Unit (CGTAP)
High Command Special Air Transport Unit (UETAAM) - operating UH-60 Black Hawk, SA 330J, JetStar, IAI 201, Beechcraft Super King Air, Boeing 737
1st Military Air Base - Santa Lucia, State of Mexico

1st Air Group
101 Air Squadron - operating Bell 412, UH-60, SA 330
112 Air Squadron - operating Bell 212, MD 530MG
401 Air Squadron - operating Northrop_F-5
3rd Air Group
301 Air Squadron - operating An-32, IAI 101B/102/201,
302 Air Squadron - operating C-130 Hercules, L100-30, Boeing 727
303 Air Squadron - operating Mi-8T/MTV-1
502 Air Squadron - operating Beech 90, Cessna 402, Cessna 182, Cessna 500, Cessna 206, Cessna 210, RC690/695
Aerial Surveillance Squadron - operating C-26 Metroliner, SA2-37B, R/P-99
2nd Military Air Base - Ixtepec, Oaxaca

1st Air Group
402 Air Squadron - operating T-33(recently retired)
3rd Military Air Base - El Cipres, Baja California

5th Air Group
106 Air Squadron - Cessna 182
4th Military Air Base - Cozumel, Quintana Roo

2nd Air Group
201 Air Squadron - Pilatus PC-7
5th Military Air Base - Zapopan, Jalisco

5th Air Group
105 Air Squadron - operating Cessna 182, Cessna 206
111 Air Squadron - operating Bell 206, Bell 212
Air College
Preparatory Squadron - operating Beech F33C
Primary Squadron - operating Aermacchi SF.260
Advanced Squadron - Pilatus PC-7
6th Military Air Base - Teran, Chiapas

2nd Air Group
202 Air Squadron - operating Pilatus PC-7, Pilatus PC-9M
7th Military Air Base - Pie de la Cuesta, Guerrero

5th Air Group
102 Air Squadron - operating Bell 206, Bell 212
2nd Air Group
204 Air Squadron - operating Pilatus PC-7
8th Military Air Base - Mérida, Yucatán

5th Air Group
104 Air Squadron - operating Bell 206, Bell 212, CH-53D Yas'ur, Cessna 210
9th Military Air Base - La Paz, Baja California Sur

2nd Air Group
203 Air Squadron - Pilatus PC-7
10th Military Air Base - Culiacán, Sinaloa

5th Air Group
109 Air Squadron - Cessna 182
11th Military Air Base - Santa Gertrudis, Chihuahua

Military School of Applied Airtactics of the Air Force (EMAATFA) - operating Pilatus PC-7
13th Military Air Base - Chihuahua, Chihuahua

5th Air Group
110 Air Squadron - operating Cessna 182
14th Military Air Base - Monterrey, Nuevo Leon

5th Air Group
108 Air Squadron - operating Cessna 182
15th Military Air Base - Oaxaca, Oaxaca

5th Air Group
103 Air Squadron - operating Bell 212
18th Military Air Base - Hermosillo, Sonora

5th Air Group
107 Air Squadron - operating Cessna 182, Pilatus PC-6

en.wikipedia.org...

Currently, there are nearly 8,000 men and women serving in the Arizona Army Guard. 158th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion

AASF #1

1-285th Attack Helicopter Battalion

2-285th Aviation Assault Battalion

215th Regiment (RTI)

258th RAOC - (deployed to OIF 5)

855th Military Police Company Phoenix, AZ

856th Military Police Company Camp Navajo, AZ

860th Military Police Company Tucson, AZ

Western ARNG Aviation Training Site (WAATS)

1st Battalion, 158th Infantry Regiment

222nd Transportation Company

2220th Transportation Company

2222nd Transportation Company

819th Sapper Company

3666th Maintenance Company

362nd Explosive Ordnance Company

363rd Explosive Ordnance Company

91st CST (WMD)

996th Medical Command

258th Engineering Company

259th Engineers Quarry

257th Engineers Well Drillers

1404 Transportation Company

253rd Engineer Battalion

Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Camp Navajo

en.wikipedia.org...

plus you have militias that include: the arizona citizens militia, northern arizona militia, arizona militia, and the cochise county militia with an estimated strength of 1-2,000.

I think Arizona could hold them off...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Nothing like solving ethical dilemma's in our country than going into another country and killing millions of people who are otherwise innocent in all of this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join