It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me compile an edible insect list

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Truth is I'm not a big fan of the little creepy crawlies but when you’re hungry, right...
So I know about meal worms and once had ant candy but there's a surprising lack on info on this...

I was once taught a good general rule was never eat a brightly colored bug... they tend to be poisonous... lady bugs fall in that group...

Now I am no expert on bug eating so I'm asking you to help me out here...

It’s the end of the world and there I stand peeking under a rotten log,
what's safe to eat?
What's not???

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Earth worms,
Scorpions (remove tail)
Grasshoppers, Only eat cooked as they are full of nasty parasites.
roaches

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
pretty sure any bug can be eaten pretty much

i even know you can eat a poisonous spider like the black widow and unless you have a cut or ulcer or you swallowed it alive and it bit you in your stomach, you won't be effected by it's poison

but honestly, what bugs CAN'T you eat, that'd be a shorter and easier list haha

they're full of protein, and germs though, might want to roast them to try and kill the germs

[edit on 5/1/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Don't those look yummy??

www.food-info.net...

There are hundreds if not thousands of edible insects

However, you won't catch me eating any of them!

YUCK!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
MmmM,Bugs! YUM.

Heres a couple of links for you,one is concerned with the classes of insects which are edible,the second more recipe orientated.

www.food-info.net...

senselist.com...

* Bacon & Cheddar Cheese-Flavored Crickets
* Canned Brown Curry-Flavored Mole Crickets
* Canned Soy Sauce-Flavored Pregnant Crickets
* Chocolate-Covered Cricket
* Preserved Big Crickets in Salt Water Brine
* Roasted Giant Crickets
* Roasted Pregnant Crickets
* Salt N’ Vinegar-Flavored Crickets
* Sour Cream & Onion-Flavored Crickets

MmmMM! Bacon an cheese crickets or roasted prenant crickets...I can't quite decide..

But I would eat anything if hungry enough

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ants are good. I've eaten them in SERE school. They taste like lemon drops.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
No thanks, I'd rather starve, or stare at the setting sun. There is no way anyone could get me to put an insect in my mouth and swallow willingly!

With all that greenery, can't you just learn to forage?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I know that if you have got maggots in your food consider eating the maggots instead of the food!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So you're peeking under the log and you want to know what's safe to eat...

Okay, which of the bugs are covered in chocolate or wrapped in bacon?

If the answer is none, then hurry to the nearest bush and munch on some leaves instead.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I've actually had scorpions and banana spiders.

When I was a bit younger, some people I knew used to smoke fish, which is awesome in and of itself, but during the week or 2 in between, banana spiders would get into the smoke house. Pointless to try to get them out.
But when things got smoked, we would often find several on top of the fish.
I almost shart bricks when I seen my pal eat one, but he swears they are great.
They are good. Weird, smokey, but good.
Scorpions are good too.
I've had them roasted when I was on an outing in Mexico, several years ago.
They taste like those really crispy bits on the very tip of a chicken wing that's been fried too much.
They got sand in em too. Which ain't fun.
Neither of them are for the faint of heart, but I'm good like that.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Honestly not very many depending on where you live. Most insects are now loaded iwht all kinds of things you would not want to eat.
marcsala.blogspot.com...
Like lead.
Maybe in the middle of nowhere but if there is a farm nearby the insects can have lead and insecticides in there. Not to mention hairworm

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here is a list compiled by Iowa State University of:

Tasty Insect Recipes:

www.ent.iastate.edu...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
But keep in mind if you are reduced to eating insects you have mad NUMEROUS previous errors in survival tactics, with your current bad luck you would probably end up eating something that would kill you.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
^ You may want to review this site:

www.survivaltopics.com...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, if you're ever in Peru there is always the suri palm grub to fill your belly. These are plentiful and supposedly taste like cheese.
I'll let you be the judge and let me know. I think I would want these bad boys roasted over an open fire.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have a couple of books on edible insects and both of them say that if you're allergic to shellfish you should not eat insects. Also that some insects are poisonous, some are carcinogenic and that you should never eat a RAW insect.
However they do go on to give recipes using "raw" insects so I guess research is in order.

Here's a brief list of edible bugs:

sago beetle grubs (tastes creamy)
Mexican stink bugs (jumiles-rich in iodine)
ants (the pyruvic acid makes for a tart "lemonade")
meal worm (in a quiche)
dragonflies (stir-fried)
tarantulas (deep fried)
termites (live, on a stick)
yellow jackets (in a soup)
scorpions
larvae of aquatic caddis flies (boiled, then sauteed with seasonings)
silkworm pupae (peanut buttery)
giant waterbugs (battered and deep fried)
crickets (roasted)
spiders
bees
worms
cicadas
Anyway, if you're serious about learning what insects you can eat, there are books you can order from Barnes & Noble or online. There are plenty of places in the world where bugs are still eaten and considered a prime food source.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
pretty sure any bug can be eaten pretty much

i even know you can eat a poisonous spider like the black widow and unless you have a cut or ulcer or you swallowed it alive and it bit you in your stomach, you won't be effected by it's poison

but honestly, what bugs CAN'T you eat, that'd be a shorter and easier list haha

they're full of protein, and germs though, might want to roast them to try and kill the germs

[edit on 5/1/2010 by indigothefish]

That's because spiders don't use poison, they use venom, venom is non-toxic, poison is toxic.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
But keep in mind if you are reduced to eating insects you have mad NUMEROUS previous errors in survival tactics, with your current bad luck you would probably end up eating something that would kill you.

Not necessarily. Many insects (most) are high in fat and protein. They are an excellent survival food and should be readily available (if you know where to look) even when you can't find other game. They're easy to collect, no bullets required; no endless sitting in tree tops waiting for them to come by. You can collect them easily while you're out and about doing other things.

Even if you're a poor hunter and didn't manage to bag anything for winter stores, insects are available year round and don't require a lot of skill to obtain. They're ideal for the beginning survivalist. Sort of a wilderness MRE.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I've yet to come across an insect that people have said you CAN'T eat.

Not that there aren't any, mind you, but I think for the most part you can pretty much chomp on through all of them. There is always some bug I thought would be unpalatable but then I watch some BBC documentary and see the local children of some village eating them like candy.

You also can't go wrong with Grub worms in a pinch either.

Sauté them with a few vegetables over some white rice and a glass of Merlot if you want to get a taste for them right now.

Bon appétit!

- Lee

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is a really good topic, thank you.

Here are some links to very short articles on the subject:

www.wilderness-survival-skills.com...

www.survivaltopics.com...

www.wilderness-survival.net...

adventure.howstuffworks.com...

Rules of thumb:

1. Don't eat smelly, colorful, or hairy insects; nor insects connected with disease such as ticks and flies; nor insects that sting or bite.

2. As far as I can tell, grubs, worms, and termites are safe to eat raw; cook all others to kill parasites, and also remove wings and barbed legs (i.e., beetles and grasshoppers). To be safe, cook all insects by roasting or in a soup.

3. Find larvae and other insects in bark, in or under rotten logs, and under rocks. Dig for worms in humus soil; drop them in clean water and in a few minutes they will purge their digestive canals and be ready to eat raw. Make a net to catch grasshoppers. Red ants are not edible, but other types are, some being sweet.

Beef is 20% protein. Insects are 65-85% protein. No reason to starve if there are insects around.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join