It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof That Reality Is Just A State Of Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Henry Louis Gates Jr. was on Stephen Colbert, he has a new show coming soon
This:

During his interview with Colbert on the show Henry was telling Colbert how what he does is find about your ancestry through your DNA.

Then he spoke about how the woman that gave the the inaugural poem at Obama's speech was 66% white, however when you look at her society would classify her as a black woman.

I find that to be an interesting topic

It seems this is literally just another facade of society and we truly have not evolved enough to see past skin color, because it is in fact irrelevant just because of this black woman that is 66% white.

People seeing us as white, black or brown is just perception, and perhaps more importantly people that allow themselves due be classified(everyone int he world) in such a category is just a state of mind.

So it really begs the question...
What is reality?

What is real?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I am forced to agree with the concept that ethnicity is a state of perception. I would even go further and say that personally I feel that racial and ethnic identity can be and often are based entirely upon one's own self-perception, even in the fact of scientific evidence that they genetically descend from one area of the world, people, or lineage to a greater extent than another.

This is why I personally choose to not even adhere to the notions of ethnicity in the first place. I understand and respect people's individual heritage and the pride they feel in it, but I personally prefer to identify myself simply as human. Or perhaps even merely sentient.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is proof of reality being "just a state of mind"?

People mistaking a darker skinned human as "black"?

Wow...I guess it is plainly apparent that "your reality" is a state of "your mind".

As for me, mistaking one's persons "color" is nothing close to "proving reality is a state of mind".

But, knowing you from around these boards, I am not shocked that you have made this incredible leap in logic and then haphazardly slapped some "unrelated label to it" all the while calling it "proof of something absurd".

Enjoy your state of mind.

Hope it is fun.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Perhaps the OP could more accurately call it, "Evidence that certain accepted realities are in fact merely perceptions?"

I agree that this not empirical proof regarding the nature of reality, but I do agree that ethnicity is an issue of personal perception and self-identity. At least it is for me. I can't speak for the whole of humanity.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
Perhaps the OP could more accurately call it, "Evidence that certain accepted realities are in fact merely perceptions?"

I agree that this not empirical proof regarding the nature of reality, but I do agree that ethnicity is an issue of personal perception and self-identity. At least it is for me. I can't speak for the whole of humanity.

Yes, I would have been happier with the description you offer here much better then the misleading title of the thread as it stands now.

But no...

Instead we get-

"proof of reality being a state of mind".

Really...this thread shows nothing of the sort.

Star for you!

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

WOW.... that show is a complete rip-off of the British show "Who do you think you are"

en.wikipedia.org...

As for the OP... I guess reality is whatever you are taught growing up.
If you are raised in a society that focuses on colour as much as we do in the west, then you'll grow up thinking you're a white male or a black girl or whatever.... and this will dictate your whole life.

Early experiences shape us pretty much for the rest of our lives.

Doesn't Obama have a Black father and a White Mother.... yet he is called the first "Black" president...?
I never understand this kind of thing.... why people have to be called either black or white... or whatever it may be.

If a Muslim does something wrong, the story will lead with the fact that they're a Muslim, however, If it's a Christian or Buddhist or whatever else, it's never a factor.

We're too concerned with these kind of divisive labels and differences.
It's not only colour but Everything.... we are all put in categories and boxes based on a multitude of things about our appearance and beliefs and all kinds.

We definitely need to evolve and progress past this but it's been a problem almost since the dawn of time.

[edit on 1/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
What is reality?

What you posted and the connections made have very little relation to reality. Let me help you out:

There are as many different realities as there are people alive to create them. Reality is nothing more than an audio, visual demonstration of where your attention is at.

Much Love

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reality is of the relation between a free existing move as a fact with its move purpose being its life, so by acting as real you perceive the reality of your life

this is why it is subjective, it relies on what you are as a move fact real and also what you mean being living of or through existing life

now reality as objective fact exist when the move is a free existing fact true, and the move is that when it means truth and nothing else, so it becomes itself only as move and not a subjective identity reaction or will

now that true move mean truth through recognition of objective else existence, then it means reality construction truth of that relation with objective existence, it is not curiosity drive because any awareness is in depth reality truth charge so it is very logical that it could mean that objectively too

so when the true move is real there free since it is nothing else there it can have a perspective of reality objectively without itself as real puting itself as real as a concept since it is done already, so it can see whole reality objectivity with itself in it and without

this is the value of truth, anything can be true like also only by truth freedom is life always

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
Wow...I guess it is plainly apparent that "your reality" is a state of "your mind".

But, knowing you from around these boards, I am not shocked that you have made this incredible leap in logic and then haphazardly slapped some "unrelated label to it" all the while calling it "proof of something absurd".

Not knowing you from this board I clicked on your username and clicked on posts, then radomly clicked on this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems you seem to have a habit of insulting people that expresses views you do not agree with.

What is the reason for this agression?

I posted a thread for people to come in here and have a mature friendly discussion. Is it impossible for you to respond and give your opinion in an amicable fashion instead of being offensive and throwing the "knowing you from these boards".

Knowing ME from these boards?

Grow up, you are the definition of a troll!

[edit on 1-5-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
One thing I learned in 32 years of helping do surgery is that we're all effing pink on the inside! A lot of it is misperception, but look at how variable the state of consciousness is among people. Many people on the low end, many in the middle, and less on the high end. I just don't know how that could be changed. Some don't want true consciousness, some want just enough, and others can't get enough. I've read that when the "transition" comes we will be elavated in consciousness, but I've also read that many will just not be ready. When you consider the concept that "what the heck is reality in the first place", and the variables become so complex that reasonable analysis goes right down the rabbit hole. I see it as my responsibility to develop my consciousness as an individual. Millions and millions don't even consider this at all. Maybe Maslow had it right with his triangle. You just can't unscrew people's heads and pour enlightenment down their necks. All action begins locally.

top topics

join