It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is slavery, and god is obsolete.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

And to answer this gem of yours "How do we know what sections aren't the words of God?" Quite simply put.. because IT DOESN'T SAY GOD SAID IT DUH! In every passage of scripture when God talks or says something it says "And the Lord said" "God said..." "the Lord our God said" etc it is always preluded or said after a sentence whether God speaks or not. You are up with the most unintelligent and misinformed Agnostic's ever.
You obviously misunderstood my whole sentence...I mean how do we know what hasn't been manipulated by humans! How do we know that was what God originally said, and it hasn't been manipulated by humans or lost in translation?

You agree with those who agree with you and disagree with those who don't. Please stop posting now since you've posted your postion.
I will most certainty not stop posting at your demand. And my position here should be clear. I am obviously going to agree with, back-up, and support someone when they've reached the same conclusion as me. Is that illegal now?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Then what would make you believe? If God appeared in front of you and said "Hey, I'm God!"?

If you want to know what i believe, ill tell you.

I am god, life is god, you cant ask it for anything, it has no human feelings it is nature, balance if you will. When i die i become one will all life, i loose my person i just become life, I never die i just continue infiantly

Bill Hicks life is just a ride.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

The simple fact is there is NO proof of the existence of any God. Not a single religion on this planet has solid proof!

Consider this:

Most religions believe in some sort of God. But for most of them, it's only possible that there is 1 god. If that's true, then those religions are mutually exclusive.

Now, if that's true, and we assume there is such a thing as 1 true right religion and God...then billions of people are following false religions. But the funny thing is, since none of them can proof they're following the only true religion, they're all basing their whole life on simple speculation. And what's more...THEY ARE PRETENDING THAT SPECULATION IS FACT!! That alone is a scary though if they base real life actions on pure speculation...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by deenuu

But that prediction is only true if Jesus was the magic man the bible says he is. Jesus, I believe was just a dude, who in his teen years went to India, studied Buddhism prob smoked some hash had a real good think about what being a decent human being is all about, came back to his homeland to spread the word, was killed by the TPTB at the time, prob along with many other preachers. Now it wasn’t for a few hundred, yes hundred years the bible was written and collated in Rome, by Julius Caesar and Constantine and friends if my history serves me right.

Well of course he was a real dude, it's been recorded historically. What we can't prove is all the accounts he said to have done. That's why it's called faith in something greater than yourself. Who knows? We weren't there for any of the stuff written in the Bible but that doesn't mean it wasn't true in any regards. IF any of this is true then I'd rather take my chances doing what it says and if I just end up as fertilizer when I die then I'd be okay with that too. We weren't there when the Earth was made but apparently science has it figured out! We know they aren't right 100% of the time. Take it as you want everyone will believe in what they want and it's no reason to discredit them or make them believe what you want; it should be a personal decision made by each person.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

The simple fact is there is NO proof of the existence of any God. Not a single religion on this planet has solid proof!

Consider this:

Most religions believe in some sort of God. But for most of them, it's only possible that there is 1 god. If that's true, then those religions are mutually exclusive.

Now, if that's true, and we assume there is such a thing as 1 true right religion and God...then billions of people are following false religions. But the funny thing is, since none of them can proof they're following the only true religion, they're all basing their whole life on simple speculation. And what's more...THEY ARE PRETENDING THAT SPECULATION IS FACT!! That alone is a scary though if they base real life actions on pure speculation...

Science claims we came from a dead thing and claim it as fact. It works both ways don't be one sided.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

VERY well put! I think I'll make you my God, you give me more faith in the human species than any religion ever could.

Science claims we came from a dead thing
Haha...errr....care to elaborate?

EDIT: And what does religion claim, God clicked his fingers and "it was so"...

[edit on 2/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
You people have only one option to get rid of religion and thats sex. Religion is important for society and if you think otherwise, i think you have not thought this out too well.

You may well get your wish about religion getting weaker, but there always will be some sort of pagan religion.

You must be some sort of zombie to think that religion is useless.

What makes me laugh is that the ptb are religious in every way but they teach all you people to desperately get rid of it. Why is this?

Yes! Number 1 first response! You are so correct. These anti-religion arguments are always so dumb. The ones that don't want religion slavishly follow each other in not wanting religion. They must want to do something different every day and never focus on anything. Anti-religious people must have an attention deficit.

Hey OP, do you fidget a lot? Are you nervous?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

They have at least some solid evidence for their theories. Plus, they call it the THEORY of evolution, not PROOF.

Religion on the other hand claim their theories are FACT, when in reality, they don't even have the slightest bit of scientific evidence. On the contrary, many things in the bible have been proven wrong by modern science. We now know we're not the centre of the universe for example, the earth is not flat like the church had us believe, and last I checked there's also no talking snakes and the world is older than 5-6000 years.

Scientists modify their theories if they're proven wrong. Religious people grasp at straws to keep their world view.

Again, I have nothing against religion. If it makes people happy, by all means, believe! But as soon as they try to enter politics or science and try to force us to accept their THEORIES as fact, the fun ends. I am NOT willing to base my world view on speculation. Especially if so many things of their main scriptures have been proven wrong already...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by MrXYZ

VERY well put! I think I'll make you my God, you give me more faith in the human species than any religion ever could.

Science claims we came from a dead thing
Haha...errr....care to elaborate?

EDIT: And what does religion claim, God clicked his fingers and "it was so"...

[edit on 2/5/10 by CHA0S]

Yeah, I guess, that's my point we both laugh at each claim so it doesn't matter.

Ugh, I gotta explain evolution to you too? God you are the most moronic individual I've ever met. I'm tired of spoon feeding you. At least be civil like the other posters and try to carry a somewhat decent conversation.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Nope religion is not slavery..
Define Slavery:

- bondage: the state of being under the control of another person
- the practice of owning slaves
- work done under harsh conditions for little or no pay

Nope GOD is not obsolete because most of human population in this earth still believes, and will continue to believe, because we were created to believe..

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

They have at least some solid evidence for their theories. Plus, they call it the THEORY of evolution, not PROOF.

Religion on the other hand claim their theories are FACT, when in reality, they don't even have the slightest bit of scientific evidence. On the contrary, many things in the bible have been proven wrong by modern science. We now know we're not the centre of the universe for example, the earth is not flat like the church had us believe, and last I checked there's also no talking snakes and the world is older than 5-6000 years.

Scientists modify their theories if they're proven wrong. Religious people grasp at straws to keep their world view.

Again, I have nothing against religion. If it makes people happy, by all means, believe! But as soon as they try to enter politics or science and try to force us to accept their THEORIES as fact, the fun ends. I am NOT willing to base my world view on speculation. Especially if so many things of their main scriptures have been proven wrong already...

Gee all this misconception about the Bible. Show me where it says the Earth was the center of the universe and I'll tell you what it really means. Explain how carbon dating.. potassium-argon dating.. etc are all correct forms of dating the earth? Science can't get those right because it only works on unknown organisms. Ones they don't know how old they are. You assume snakes could talk which is kind of laughable. If you understood ANYTHING about the Bible you would know the snake wasn't physically talking. The devil was talking thru him, major difference, but to someone who doesn't understand it then it means the same thing. The Bible doesn't date the world either it's just a speculation based on the information given. Again, more of you not understanding what you read. Some people believe billions, some believe the literal, the word day has many meanings in Hebrew. Please do your research before posting idiotic assumptions.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Ugh, I gotta explain evolution to you too?
Uhh, no...I clearly understood that much...I asked for an elaboration, because I actually wanted to see if you knew exactly how science describes it...because you obviously don't...Ohhh, nooo.....dear God, we evolved from a "dead thing"...it's blasphemy...

God you are the most moronic individual I've ever met. I'm tired of spoon feeding you. At least be civil like the other posters and try to carry a somewhat decent conversation.
Hahaha...so I'm the most moronic person you've ever met...that's quite funny...and what's this, in the same sentence you assert I need to be more civil...you, sir, are the moron...and you have provided not one nanogram of decent conversation thus far...your arguments are absolutely laughable...NOW you can claim I need to be more civil...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

In this video, Maher talks about the core beliefs of a religion...and since it's different from the spectators' beliefs, people laugh at him.

But how is "he threw H-bombs into a volcano to destroy their souls" any less believable than the story about a talking snake, or a guy walking on water, or some super being creating a world in 7 days?

All those theories are speculative, yet their followers claim them to be facts.

It would be funny if they wouldn't also try to make policies and laws based on those UNPROVEN theories.

Did anyone ever think why politicians are making religious references that often? It's because Christians/Muslims/etc. have been conditioned. They hear a religioius reference, and right afterwards something regarding the politicians agenda...and then link those 2. Their opinions are purely based on EMOTIONS rather than RATIONALITY.

That's dangerous imo...and it's about time the rest of us stand up against people ignoring LOGIC and RATIONALITY when deciding about how we should live our lives.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

My apologies...the snake wasn't talking, it was the devil talking through the snake...so in essence the snake was possessed. Sure, that sounds a lot more rational

Also, sorry to disapoint you...but those Christian "science" websites claiming carbon dating isn't working are blatantly mininforming you.

Carbon dating has been tested with wood for which the ages has been known...and guess what, it was accurate. Don't believe me, check out this proof.

You must admit there's plenty of statements in the bible that can't be right. There is physically no way God created the earth in 7 days.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

Ugh, I gotta explain evolution to you too?
Uhh, no...I clearly understood that much...I asked for an elaboration, because I actually wanted to see if you knew exactly how science describes it...because you obviously don't...Ohhh, nooo.....dear God, we evolved from a "dead thing"...it's blasphemy...

God you are the most moronic individual I've ever met. I'm tired of spoon feeding you. At least be civil like the other posters and try to carry a somewhat decent conversation.
Hahaha...so I'm the most moronic person you've ever met...that's quite funny...and what's this, in the same sentence you assert I need to be more civil...you, sir, are the moron...and you have provided not one nanogram of decent conversation thus far...your arguments are absolutely laughable...NOW you can claim I need to be more civil...

O great come back; I think a child can say "nuh uh you are!" It's not a decent conversation because you don't know what I'm talking about so of course. If you tried to explain quantum physics to me I'd probably look at you the same way you are to me. Now to explain this theory you don't seem to think I understand.

Evolution has many different terms but the favorite one believers follow is that life originated from a common ancestor millions, or billions depending on which person you ask, of years ago because they can't get their date's figured out. What evolution fails to teach is where life originated and the steps leading up to complex life. It doesn't teach that because it doesn't know because it doesn't have, what's that word, oh yea.. proof! Science can't figure out how the universe started and how things evolved, loosely defined.

We know that you can't create the heavier elements through fusion past the element of Iron it just doesn't happen. Why scientists try to say they can is beyond me. Also if life originated from a singularity things wouldn't be colliding as we see them today. We would see stars forming which we don't. Pictures of gas clouds with pretty lights isn't star formation like the Orion Nebula is supposed to have. All we see is decay and death, no gain in any form, and that's it. Nothing is being add only taken away. If it was created that way we'd see the same amount of matter and anti-matter but we barely see any anti-matter. Matter and anti-matter, when they collide, destroy each other completely so to say that there is less anti-matter than matter means something.

Also no one can explain where the laws of the universe comes from but it's amazing how structured it is. Why do you think that is? It just randomly happened by chance? The fact that these are universal constants? If you do you must be one of those fundamentalist believers that believes everything, and I mean everything, the government tells you.

So I predict I'll be told I'm wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about to discredit what I've said. Then I'll be asked for proof suggesting my claims. Typical even if people know the truth they still want it shown to them again.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by novastrike81]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

My apologies...the snake wasn't talking, it was the devil talking through the snake...so in essence the snake was possessed. Sure, that sounds a lot more rational

Also, sorry to disapoint you...but those Christian "science" websites claiming carbon dating isn't working are blatantly mininforming you.

Carbon dating has been tested with wood for which the ages has been known...and guess what, it was accurate. Don't believe me, check out this proof.

You must admit there's plenty of statements in the bible that can't be right. There is physically no way God created the earth in 7 days.

Right you quote wikipedia that can be edited by anyone. Watch I'll change it to say that it's false. Also did you read the first line where it says UP TO 58,000 to 62,000 years? So when you carbon date a rock and it comes back 4.6 billion years then there is a problem. Also, any scientist who posts info against mainstream science is automatically wrong because of their belief? Even if they followed mainstream science and saw the evidence wasn't consistent with what it's really showing?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Just because science doesn't have all the answers yet, and they don't claim they do, doesn't mean the God theory is correct. Some people are humble enough to admit they don't know.

Religious people often aren't, because they claim to KNOW how something happened although they CAN'T KNOW. The absence of proof for one theory doesn't automatically validate another.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Just because science doesn't have all the answers yet, and they don't claim they do, doesn't mean the God theory is correct. Some people are humble enough to admit they don't know.

Religious people often aren't, because they claim to KNOW how something happened although they CAN'T KNOW. The absence of proof for one theory doesn't automatically validate another.

You're absolutely right and I'm not claiming to know everything because I don't. I'm just saying science isn't right every time. It doesn't prove or disprove he exists. It doesn't mean he isn't there though, does that make sense?

Sometimes I just wish science and religion could get along and hold hands and sing songs together instead of warring over high school stuff, y'know?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81

Right you quote wikipedia that can be edited by anyone. Watch I'll change it to say that it's false. Also did you read the first line where it says UP TO 58,000 to 62,000 years? So when you carbon date a rock and it comes back 4.6 billion years then there is a problem. Also, any scientist who posts info against mainstream science is automatically wrong because of their belief? Even if they followed mainstream science and saw the evidence wasn't consistent with what it's really showing?

Don't like Wikipedia...how about the original scientific studies that show PROOF that it works? He even got a NOBEL PRICE for for his findings!
Proof 1
Proof 2

Again, his findings have been recreated and tested. It's NOT a theory, they have proof...which is why they don't label it as a theory, not like evolution which is labeled as a theory.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81

Don't like Wikipedia...how about the original scientific studies that show PROOF that it works? He even got a NOBEL PRICE for for his findings!
Proof 1
Proof 2

Again, his findings have been recreated and tested. It's NOT a theory, they have proof...which is why they don't label it as a theory, not like evolution which is labeled as a theory.

Gah, that'll take me forever to go through.
On an intellectual level not a reading level.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join