It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is slavery, and god is obsolete.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Religion is slavery and God is obsolete. I agree. So what? I still believe.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Interesting post.. I was raised Catholic. (my maternal grandmother was a nun, she left nunhood because she wanted to raise a family)...15 years later my mother became pregnant with me..my grandmother said no abortion..my mom and dad stayed married for 15 years ...i have a younger brother (by four years) ...i went to Catholic school until middle school (parent couldnt afford).....My mom told me years ago she was an Aethist....My Dad was never particulary religious...After leaving Catholic school I immediately saw the change from public to private..either way....I grew up, now in my mid 30's...met my soulmate..he happened t be Catholic. I still feel like Mass is a great gathering but honestly do not believe ..I go twice a year to pacify my In-Laws..It does however feel good sometimes ..so I cannot say I am not conflicted..
When I feel good feelings at Mass I feel a whispering "do not follow blindly"...but I myself do not follow anything but my own feelings..I know this is contradictory..but I always see both sides.. I downfall of mine

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Blasphemy against God is in this thread.
The evil forked tongue serpent speaketh
and spews his lies and deceit.
Oh yes he is a cunning one
but not every one will bow
down and worship you.

I for one will not.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Originally posted by dalek
Religion is a pure pissing contest for egos.
A person doesn't get his way? BANG! he goes off to form his own Church/God
That simple disagreement between human egos has often laid to millions of lives being destroyed years later.

In my opinion The Dark Ages are over and anyone that supports religious control of our lives through government had better give me evidence that there is live after death, otherwise their opinions and authority is Null & Void

Many reported NDE's. But you won't accept those... will you?

Yeah, some NDE report seeing Jesus, some Budda, some Allah
If NDE is your evidence of life after death then it only reinforces how factional religion is

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
You people have only one option to get rid of religion and thats sex. Religion is important for society and if you think otherwise, i think you have not thought this out too well.

You may well get your wish about religion getting weaker, but there always will be some sort of pagan religion.

You must be some sort of zombie to think that religion is useless.

What makes me laugh is that the ptb are religious in every way but they teach all you people to desperately get rid of it. Why is this?

Uh oh looks l;ike someone was brainwashed to believe they're god is nothing but good when infact he was a sociopathic killer (read the bible) and can't accceptsomeone has a world vieew that makes more sense. nice troll attempt thjough i'll give you that
acrtually made me try 4/10

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
Blasphemy against God is in this thread.
The evil forked tongue serpent speaketh
and spews his lies and deceit.
Oh yes he is a cunning one
but not every one will bow
down and worship you.

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I for one will not.

A perfect example of an ego pissing contest.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

That simple disagreement between human egos has often laid to millions of lives being destroyed years later.

In my opinion The Dark Ages are over and anyone that supports religious control of our lives through government had better give me evidence that there is live after death, otherwise their opinions and authority is Null & Void

If NDE is your evidence of life after death then it only reinforces how factional religion is

That's not enough for you?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Intuitiveaptitude2009

Sorry, religion has not created a utopia. It did not end all of our problems but ended up actually exacerbating them. Religion was seen and still is as the solution to all of humanity's problems. However in practice evil men rise to lead it and the rest follow and it is perverted beyond belief. Also when close adherents of religious laws and dogma see the differences between their beliefs and reality they often do horrible things. Many religious people also become close minded. They end their search for the truth. To me it is like running a mile in a marathon, then stopping at the water station and claiming you made it. Its just my opinion but thats how I see it.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

That's not enough for you?

No!
Religion preaches that it's "My way or the hell-way" and if you step outside that box of thinking, then your damned!
If religion is so Ridged on belief then how come other faiths are seeing NDE?

[edit on 1-5-2010 by dalek]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
All this talk of "slavery" and "purpose." Are you sure you're not simply referring to organized religion, and not religion itself per se?

If it's the former, I agree... to an extent. Organized religion, not personal religious belief, has been responsible for more chaos, death and intolerance in this world than ideology or wealth put together... in essence, followers (pick your poison and era, Catholicism, Islam, et al) have become "slaves" to the religious zealotry of what they falsely consider to be their betters - i.e. bishops, priests, Imams...

Personal belief? Well, it's like Glenn Danzig said... "Religion is whatever gets you through the day." I have my own which incorporate a belief in God, karma and reincarnation... this is not up for debate. It is what I believe. It neither warrants questioning in my mind nor does it warrant going to church and tithing. If I were to step back and look at this belief objectively, it would appear to me to be neither enslaving nor de-powering. It is, for lack of a better phrase, what it is.

There's a distinction to be made that seems lacking in this thread IMO.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Maybe it's the creator trying to please your sense. Let the ego go my friend. stop thinking "my way or the high-way"

That being said it came to me just now. Vatican has been around for about 2,000 years. Within those 2,000 years I'm sure they have had 100% proof that God exist. With means of doing what? I don't know. Some people on Earth can talk to God. That's what I know. Seeing how they can talk to Him their obviously all hush hush about it. Why? I'm sure you know that answer. You would be called a loon. With vatican it's a little different. Command and conquer. Some people even think that vatican tortures angels for information.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
You'd think negative bias rhetoric *or even rhetoric period* would go out of style as the self proclaimed "free thinkers" spread. But, I guess it's too much to expect people to actually aspire to be the concepts they attempt to evoke to support themselves....

OP, religion CAN BE *you are partially correct by accident* a type of slavery. That does not mean it is universally. Just like a knife can be a impliment of murder. If not used as such it's nothing more than a useful tool for cutting. But I don't expect you to take off your blinders long enough to notice the distinction. Life is so much easier for those of us that have something to demonize and act as a catch all for blame. I understand, it allows us to ignore our own bad behaviors.....

But it is hillarious when someone evokes logic to justify their argumentum ad ignoratum *a logical fallacy* as if it wasn't a fallacy.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Religion isn't a tool used to control the masses. What are they trying to control? If you think it's just for money or power you must be thinking of back when Catholicism was ruling the nation converting through power and death. That's not the religion of today. No one is going to kill you if you don't convert to their religion. Anyone who seeks to do harm in the name of their religion isn't following their religion; albeit Muslims cause it says to kill all those who oppose their God (Allah). That's not Christianity and it shouldn't be confused with the other two monotheistic religions.

I know some of you don't want to believe in God, or a God, and that's perfectly fine you have that same right as we have to believe in God. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing hard working labor to support my God. It's a choice, a decision, one makes just as it's a decision to not believe. Stop confusing the religion of old with the new, it shows your ignorance and how shallow you are.

How can we as humans expect to know a fully infinite God when we don't even understand each other? We lie, cheat, steal, commit numerous sins in the act against the faith we should be instilling in one another. He (God) has shown enough of himself through his creations, through His word, and through his son Jesus Christ. As it is impossible to share both light with darkness together, it also is impossible for God to share fellowship with a sinful mankind that we see today.

God has shown himself in the past with the exile thru Egypt in the form of a cloud by day and fire pillar at night to lead the Israelites. He also parted the Red Sea to escape the Egyptian army and gave them manna when they were starving. He also gave them water when they were thirsty thru Moses striking a rock once with his rod. Yet, in spite of these repeated demonstrations of His love, guidance, and power, they still refused to trust Him when He wanted them to enter into the Promised Land. To this day people will choose not to believe through ignorance and that's fine, it's their decision and I won't look at you any differently. Just look at it this way: I'd rather live my life as there was a God, and find out there wasn't (when I die). Then live my life as there was no God, and find out there was.

Food for thought.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

I'd agree with you but what i'm saying is this "follow the teachings of christ" not any other religion but we could never do that. And even without religion do you reakon all humans would unite and share things evenly ? Of course not.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intuitiveaptitude2009
reply to post by time91

I'd agree with you but what i'm saying is this "follow the teachings of christ" not any other religion but we could never do that. And even without religion do you reakon all humans would unite and share things evenly ? Of course not.

That is what I was trying to say. Think of a nation under the mighty hand of the tea party.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
reply to post by andy1033

what use does religion have?

I don't think our leaders are actually leaders. They're figureheads. And the people pulling their strings are as ruthless as they are godless.

Religion forms the base for a morally sound person. It's an easy way to build a foundation with stories that remind us to make good decisions. Some are born with enough power to do what they want, without something to tell them why they shouldn't then how would they ever know not to?

But this depends on the one doing the teaching of these religions as well, because they can be warped to be just as violent as they are peaceful.

Believe me, I am no fan of organized religion and I hate what it has become but there are some uses to religion in an educational point of view.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91

Sorry, religion has not created a utopia.

Religion has created a utopia for people themselves. Their inner being and the true state of happy contemplation of self.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Sadly, you are correct. Many humans seem to be born or turn selfish and hateful. I would call these people adapters. They never seek to change bad systems. They only seek to rise to the top and exploit it for their own benefit. If they are born into a religious society they will claim religion and if they are born into a dictatorship they will praise the leader and weasel their way into government.
We need to root out this way of thinking at all costs, and we need to reward excess over scarcity while still keeping risk/reward motivation to create a better society.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91

Sadly, you are correct. Many humans seem to be born or turn selfish and hateful. I would call these people adapters. They never seek to change bad systems. They only seek to rise to the top and exploit it for their own benefit. If they are born into a religious society they will claim religion and if they are born into a dictatorship they will praise the leader and weasel their way into government.
We need to root out this way of thinking at all costs, and we need to reward excess over scarcity while still keeping risk/reward motivation to create a better society.

The way observations you are talking about is the same psycho-development of a child. Children are born selfish. If you cannot tell the infancy of humanities state then you are lying to yourself. Even Stephan Hawking is nothing more then a child. (with disregards of his ass being wiped by someone else)

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

Just look at it this way: I'd rather live my life as there was a God, and find out there wasn't (when I die). Then live my life as there was no God, and find out there was.

What happens if you die and God is an Islamic, hindi or ancient Greek GOD and doesent want you? or if you die and its just like before you were born.. NOTHING, would the sacrifices you make in your life for your god be worth it?

The chances of you dying and getting the chance to kneel in front of your idea of god are pretty slim once you take the time to really think about it.

Food for thought

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join