It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is slavery, and god is obsolete.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Religion is slavery.. It's quite possibly the best tyranny ever devised, because it has survived so very long, and it refuses to be stamped out in democracies and authoritarian regimes alike. It is a system of slavery that knows no political affiliation, prefered economy, or higherarchy of rule. It is the lowest common denominator of tyranny, exploiting the most fundamental flaws in human beings almost as if nature intended it to be that way.

If religion were an animal, it would probably be a parasite -- possibly a leech -- and it would see itself as fortunate, because nature created a host for it to feed off of. It hijacks humanity, and commandeer's our destiny. It is both the source of great achievements of social order, as well as detrimental setbacks, by the decree of cynics and psychopaths who are personified as God in the flesh -- or the closest thing to it.

And what about God, anyhow? Is he really so great? Why doesn't he ever show himself.. Why is he strangely absent when he is needed the most, and why does he become obsolete when uncertainty is be replaced with knowledge? To need a god in the 21st century, one must ignore what is already known about much of the universe. God's role has all but vanished completely, as the only atom of relevance left for a deity is to simply prove he exists at all, just for the sake of existing.

Where does that leave us, as people? What kind of person belongs to religion, and believes in god, in this stage? What purpose does he serve? What purpose do you serve, if you believe in him?

Are religious folk being taken advantage of, or are they doing what they were bread to do; is a worship of "god" inevitable, and what use does it have in the 21st century?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
You people have only one option to get rid of religion and thats sex. Religion is important for society and if you think otherwise, i think you have not thought this out too well.

You may well get your wish about religion getting weaker, but there always will be some sort of pagan religion.

You must be some sort of zombie to think that religion is useless.

What makes me laugh is that the ptb are religious in every way but they teach all you people to desperately get rid of it. Why is this?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

what use does religion have?

I don't think our leaders are actually leaders. They're figureheads. And the people pulling their strings are as ruthless as they are godless.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The same system exists today that always existed.

Priests run this world, then they tell the bankers and the politicians what to do. This is what secret societies are for.

The ptb and i say again, are all religious just not the religion you and i follow.

They want you all sex mad, while they practice there religion. You can do it if you want, but the ptb really are religious and they will not be giving up there religion so why should we?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Hear hear. It is mostly a matter of time before this is the more common belief. I find most people hold on to it as a form of tradition, clutching to the times of their forerunners to feel a connection. This I believe is a good way to have religion, not that I prescribe to it. Rather than people blindly believing whatever a master tells them.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Religion is important for society and if you think otherwise, i think you have not thought this out too well.

Why is religion important? I really wanna know, because as far as i'm concerned, religion so something that belongs into medival times and not a modern world with modern thinking people. Religion holds the world back, religion is the cause for some of the biggest problems in the world right now.
Without all that crap, the world would certainly be a better place. No priests who rape little children, no muslims who cry war against infidels, no christians who make war "in the name of god" and other stupid bull#.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

If religion were an animal, it would probably be a parasite -- possibly a leech --

Or perhaps a lancet fluke , a brain parasite that induce suicidal behaviour .

I think you would enjoy this brief TED Talk given by Dan Dennett .

Interesting perspective .

[edit on 1-5-2010 by UmbraSumus]

[edit on 1-5-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I am who i am because of religion my friend,its not all about extremism,can really point some people in the right direction.Would we have science if we didnt have religion?thankyou for your time

regards

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
God is the only reason I'm not in a major depression, but whatever. The thing I don't understand is why you bring up "purpose". There really is no purpose to life if there isn't a God.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Religion is slavery of minds.

But if you try to see GOD beyond the idea that religions have about him you will see that everything makes sense.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Every idea, every emotion, every projection - they suck out our life force and at the same time make us obsessive and ignorant of the true source of our suffering. Religion (ideology) is just that - a system (a maze, a stomach, digestive tract) into which we are consumed and digested, while we pretend that we are happy because we've "found" ourselves. Throughout history, it is this "idea of God" which survives, sucking people's blood, while people perish and die for The Cause!

It is very, very bad!

Just ask yourself, for instance, about the phrase: "Logic dictates"! What does it really mean and how it affects you! This logic (God) can really have total control of you and make you do horrible things just because it "demands".

Religion is a perfect tool to control people unwilling (cowardly) to contemplate whatever they're doing!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Let me tell you a little story that makes your point obvious. I'll do one better and show that it's also about money.

My Mother-in-law is in her 70's, and a widow. She has also lost a son and a daughter, who were both under the age of 18 when they died.

She is quite active in the church, becuase it is pretty much her only social outlet, and she has a very small monthly income, which is around $600.00 to live on.

While on the phone with my husband the other day, she tells him that the church needs new pew covers, and she asks my husband to please contribute money for them. Here is the kicker - the pew covers would be replaced with her donations, and those of her family, in honor of her dead husband, son, and daughter! Sound nice huh? Nothing like praying on this woman by way of guilt, and her loss! I told my husband that I am going to call the Pastor and have a few words with this guy! Why you might be asking? The church cemetary is right next door, and all these deceased family members have gorgeous, expensive head stones! If I want to honor them, all I have to do is take a short walk, right next door to the church! To top it off, my husband, who she is now hitting up for money, is no longer a member of the church!

While I'm sure the church has brought this sweet offer to all other members of the church, I believe they are going about this the wrong way.

Hold freaking bake sales, car washes, etc....but don't hit a little old lady, who lives below the poverty level, up, for pew covers!

edit typo

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cLOUDDEAD

There is indeed. The purpose is to make the most of your time here and enjoy what you enjoy and make the difference you can for everyone else.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Im atheist, but Im of the belief that people should have the right to believe in whatever religion they choose. In my opinion it does seem like you have to live as a "slave", but its their choice, not ours.

However, they will make it our business if they decide to attack atheism, sexual preference or anything that involves pushing their religion on us

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Im atheist, but Im of the belief that people should have the right to believe in whatever religion they choose. In my opinion it does seem like you have to live as a "slave", but its their choice, not ours.

However, they will make it our business if they decide to attack atheism, sexual preference or anything that involves pushing their religion on us

It won't be "them" attacking others. It will be their ideas into which we don't fit. They will simply follow the "logic" (orders) and exclude (excommunicate) everyone else. That is the true meaning of slavery.

"Right to believe" is by no means "freedom" do believe, because they rarely accept personal responsibility for what they do. They always blame it on their idea or "religion". (just doing our duty, being loyal, patriotic, proud of it, etc.)

And whatever they do, if they are called to answer for it, their idea will be their solicitor!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Doesn't this all depend o. The speciffic belief of the individual? A belief in natural or god-given rights helps one identify when mans law is restricting freedom. In such a case the "religion" is breaking the slave chains.

Those organized mass cults are essentially the same thing as government. Just some authoritarian hierarchy enforced through magic and mysticism and threats of damnation.

It isn't religion that's the problem. It's authoritarianism whether it's government or cult.

Funny how so many of the blanket anti-religion or rabidly aetheist seem not to have any problem at all with governments taking tithes, threatening damnation, or perpetuating a system of abuse and rape.

The state is just more organized religion with authoritarian hierarchy. It may think it's "better" because it gets rid of the magic man in the sky but the structure, tools and control are all the same.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
agnostic, ur agnostic, not athiest... if u were athiest u'd have no belief in any religion or higher power, therefore u would not be saying that u feel ppl should believe wat they want. agnostics believe that there is a higher power but do not choose one for there own.. therefore u my friend are agnostic. not athiest. just wanted to correct that.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

I agree with your first statement, although I am basically the complete opposite, I'm planning on going into the ministry at some point in the next few year's and I'm leaving later this year for a few month's to go do mission's work. I feel that people should and do have the right to choose whatever they so believe in, but at the same time and building off your second statement, at which point do you judge it an attack?

If I try to tell you about something that I care deeply about and try to challenge your beliefs, does that count as an attack? Just like I would hope you would do the same thing, after all the only way to become stronger in any of our beliefs is to challenge them right?

My point is your viewing it really really wrongly. I'll give you that their are people that are going to "push" their religion on you, however most of them aren't pushing most of them really do care and they just want to help, so I can sort of see how it could be viewed as an attack, but just because someone is trying to convince you of their beliefs doesn't constitute an attack.... not to mention that it takes two to tango
I get people trying to convince me otherwise just as much as I try to convince people my way.

BTW this isn't an attack
I'm just curious what you view trying to force beliefs as?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Havoc40k

No, Im atheist

I dont believe in god or anything religion related, higher power etc. Im just saying people should be allowed to have their own belief, that doesnt make me agnostic

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

I got a little carried away there, but in general I dont attack people for pushing their religion on me. I will however point out their flaws if they tell me Im wrong or Im going to hell etc etc.

You also have to see it from our point of view. We dont want to hear about your religion or god, we have already made a choice of not believing. Fine to proclaim that you believe in something, but you dont need to preach it to us

Good luck with becoming a minister

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join