It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National ID Card and fingerprinting coming soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Dems spark alarm with call for national ID card

Fingerprint and card everybody!

A plan by Senate Democratic leaders to reform the nation’s immigration laws ran into strong opposition from civil liberties defenders before lawmakers even unveiled it Thursday.

Democratic leaders have proposed requiring every worker in the nation to carry a national identification card with biometric information, such as a fingerprint, within the next six years, according to a draft of the measure.

The proposal is one of the biggest differences between the newest immigration reform proposal and legislation crafted by late Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

The national ID program would be titled the Believe System, an acronym for Biometric Enrollment, Locally stored Information and Electronic Verification of Employment.

It would require all workers across the nation to carry a card with a digital encryption key that would have to match work authorization databases.

“The cardholder’s identity will be verified by matching the biometric identifier stored within the microprocessing chip on the card to the identifier provided by the cardholder that shall be read by the scanner used by the employer,” states the Democratic legislative proposal.

The American Civil Liberties Union, a civil liberties defender often aligned with the Democratic Party, wasted no time in blasting the plan.

Full Story

This would not only be hugely expensive, but it would be a major encroachment on our rights as individuals.
Every single worker in the United States would have to b fingerprinted to be allowed to work, as well as carry an ID card issued by the US Government.

The Senator who help dream up this scheme has said the public is open to this idea, and compared this as no more of an encroachment into our rights than taking off our shoes at airports and showing our drivers licenses.

Further, the Social Security Administration has estimated that 3.6 million Americans would have to visit SSA field offices to correct mistakes in records or else risk losing their jobs. As if we don't have enough unemployment going on right now as it is.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If this ever comes to fruition and passes, I'm moving to China or Iran, where the people obviously have more freedom from the intrusion of the government into their daily lives......

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Why should we have to carry a national ID card when they refuse to enforce the currently existing laws on immigration? I’ll listen to them whine about how they are having a tough time enforcing the existing laws, when they start allowing the law enforcement agencies who arrest and try to deport the illegals do their job without having judges intentionally let these folks back out on our streets.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I'm sure the whole immigration issue is only the cover story for this plan. It is being presented as a compromise solution already.

When in reality, it will establish an "Official" system of storing information about every single person in the US who is old enough to work along with fingerprinting them.

It has nothing to do with immigration or working. It's just the "way in."

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

We both know that is what it is about, but folks need to point out that the existing laws are not being enforced, so why should they accept additional laws until the others are correctly and thoroughly followed to the letter of the law…

And while we are at it, we need to deport the folks who keep trying to push this fascist “papers please” national ID system our throats. They are obviously not Americans, and their ideals are more akin to those of the communists.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Agreed.
I have always said through this entire Arizona episode that I know they have a problem. We all know they have a problem. But your absolutely correct. More legislation is not the answer.
Enforce the laws on the books first. If we can't control our Southern border, then we should step up the presence there.

If people say it will cost too much, there are a lot of ways to pay for it. Fine BP OIL several hundred million for the oil spill, and use all of THAT money to pay for more Border Agents and increased surveillance. We all know they are understaffed.

This proposed system here is just creating an even larger bureaucracy, that is already spinning way out of control, and is accomplishing nothing useful.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I agree that with issues like this it is important to present your argument in a way that sheeple (saying that makes me cringe so much) will understand. Going on about totalitarian tiptoes and RFID chips tends to make them switch off!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

And people at ATS here actually hail the Arizona immigration bill as being great!!! What a bunch of IDIOTS!!!!!

Problem, reation and solution. They had it planned all along, do nothing about illegal immigrants and get Arizona people pissed off enough to go for this bill and then ram the rest down our throats as our mouths are open in awe!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Eff this noise.

It totally disrupts personal privacy as well as forces citizens to work in the bureaucracy even more than they already do when filing tax returns and such. (in which the government already knows the information, they just want to make sure you know and agree with the terms.)

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
All previous posts relevant, on point and what Big Brother is trying to do. This ID card is the next step to RFID as I'm sure there will be a small way to exploit it and that way will be taken advantage of in the future to push chipping. If employers wouldn't hire illegals it would make the current system much stronger. I refuse to believe that there aren't Americans out there who wouldn't do the jobs that illegals do like clean houses, mow lawns, pick vegetables etc.

This ID will bring in 100's of millions if not billions of dollars by requiring everyone to get one every 4 years like a drivers license. They will probably also tie it into carbon credits from Cap and Trade and if you don't have enough credits you won't be able to buy something. They could possibly tie it into healthcare denying you coverage because you buy what they consider to be too many things that are bad for you or tie it into guns, you get fingerprint scanned when you buy a weapon, that fingerprint needs to match the fingerprint identification of your gun and nobody else can use it but you.

This effort is just another way to slowly erode what little perceived freedoms that we still have left. Big Brother allows/coaxes a problem to blow up to the point that people seem to have no other solution to that problem at hand except the solution that was planned all along. If we stop that particular solution TPTB will figure out a new way to do it like the vitamin bill(Codex Alimentarius) being backdoored into the banking reform bill. The solution? Our continued descent further into slavery.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by TheRoadLessTraveled]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hyperbole:

What the H#@$?

I've been in a coma for 10 years, and when I wake up, we're all Nazis?

What the F*%$ have you people done to (or not done for) this country?!?

I wish I was ten again. . .
'

What do you mean you can't see the problem?!?

Reality:

It is and has always been OUR duty to police OUR government. They keep giving us hints that NOW is the time for all good people to come to the aid of their country ( $100 Bill ), but I don't see anyone doing anything out of the ordinarily trivial mundane pursuit of nostalgia and cheeseburgers.

We continue to act as if nothing is going on outside our own little bubbles.

I will NOT comply to this Fascist order whatsoever. You might as well take me to the gas chamber right now, and save yourself a ton of grief.

Sure, the Dems call it a National ID Card, but I'm sure the Repubs would call it an American Unity Card or some other mumbo jumbo like that. Why put "Dems" or "Repubs" in the title when it's truly OUR responsibility to ACT?

Of course we also have the secondary duty of spreading awareness (or popping people's bubbles), so STAR and FLAG.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by lagnar]

top topics

join