It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tear Gas Fired On Greek May Day Protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Tear Gas Fired On Greek May Day Protesters

news.sky.com

Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Athens for May Day protests and police have fired tear gas at demonstrators in the north of Greece.
Sky News' Europe correspondent Alex Rossi, who is in Greece, said: "We were expecting it to turn a bit ugly - and it has."

The Greek government is introducing a series of spending cuts to bring the country out of massive amounts of debt - but the Greek people are furious about what they see as draconian measures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I wonder what today will bring... a lot of problems around the World i presume.... but in Greece it looks like the people are having their say... the Police aren't backing off though... further footage on skynews...

This all comes down to 'the cost of living'... how much longer does the average person continue to suffer?

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry to much . Their economy will be back on tracks once the Rothschilds decide it's time for another vacation in their vila in Corfu.
With the Rothschilds there the economy will grow ...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Tear gas is a very effective form of crowd control. I expect a high rate of use of this today. Not only in Greece, but around the world.

May day.....

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If there's on thing a person doesn't mind when starving, it's getting their own personal 3 hots and a cot for free.

I was never so free as I was when I was homeless for 3 years. Law becomes moot as survival takes over. :/

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Given how lazy, overpaid and dependent on their bloated public sector Greeks generally are, I'm amazed they'd even turn up to get tear gassed...

Time for the bitching and whining to end and time to take the medicine to save their economy, or not...Their choice

I could care less either way *yawns*

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Let them riot - and an riot badly to break that poor government... Just read from news that every Finnish people have to give 350€ for them to pay their debts in 3 years "aid package" - and that is included childrens and old people.

Damn - 1.7 Billion euros.

What a noce family this EU is...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The protestors are really not doing themselves any favours here, talk about causing trouble on your doorstep. Would you go out wrecking the place where you live? Considering it will be you that will be ultimately paying for the clean up?
The police (from what ive seen on tv) are handling it well. I cant believe they havent reached a more aggresive stance.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Oh please.............you're a brainwashed capitalist. The Greek people are not the ones who caused this. The average Greek or European has a ten times better quality of life than the average American. If that's what "laziness" gets them than I'll have some of it. Instead we in America work to death for the corporation, don't spend any time with our kids, our wives, or on our health. We are all addicted to antidepressants, and get a measly two weeks of vacation every year. So take your capitalist hubris and piss off. Labor is a commodity..............it's like the chicken or the egg............which came first? The laborers of the world need to unite and fight back for a bigger piece of the pie. It's just too bad Americans are all brainwashed to do anything to change the course of their own country and economy. Look at the current CEO of Goldman Sach's who claims he's entitled to his $68 million dollar salary because he "works" hard for it.

Godbless those LAZY greeks! Standing in opposition to the corporate, and economic tyranny that has been thrust upon them and their way of life.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Godbless those LAZY greeks! Standing in opposition to the corporate, and economic tyranny that has been thrust upon them and their way of life.

Yah godbless these fools who are obviously too stupid to understand that their very own greed (union demands) have helped put them into this position. I don't blame greek folks directly (but I have worked for them and they are definitely lazy and not to be trusted in any capacity). Their cozy lifestyle (extra paid months and lax retirement conditions) have ultimately caught up to them. Absolutely the government of past and probably present are as crooked as a dogs hind leg, but you can only ride the gravy train for so long. If these people cared as much as they do now, why didn't they vote out the previous government or stage national strikes. Why didn't they fight for reform because the numbers have always been there. The EU should never have allowed such a crappy country to join, it will ultimately be their demise. Austerity is coming to greeks, they have zero choice, and they are probably in for unprecedented lifestyle and social changes.

Who I really feel sorry for is the German people who may have to foot part of this bill. If anyone it should be German citizens protesting.

And yes maintsream america and great britain, watch this carefully because this is a precursor.

brill

new topics

top topics

join