It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are most skeptics simply people who haven't researched Ufology much?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I really wonder if most of the skeptics out there are simply just people who haven't read much information or seen many documentaries regarding UFOs and ETs. And maybe because of this when the hear the word "UFO" or "ET" they immediately think it's fake like Santa Claus or Leprechauns.

For example, how many skeptics out there have really looked into all the evidence and testimonies out there about Roswell? How many of them have read about the Drake Equation? How many of them have read about the WOW Signal? How many of them have read about the Travis Walton Abduction? If they did read about all these things, would they really be that skeptical?

Makes you think.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Viper2

Are most skeptics simply people who haven't researched Ufology much?
According to my experience, the majority are...but then you do have highly informed people who still, for some reason which boggles my mind, believe there is no Alien presence on Earth...but I think the majority of people who actually dedicate enough time to researching the subject, will find it extremely hard to not reach the obvious conclusion.

EDIT:

How many of them have read about the Drake Equation? How many of them have read about the WOW Signal? How many of them have read about the Travis Walton Abduction? If they did read about all these things, would they really be that skeptical?
They would still be very skeptical, because those aren't particularly good examples - except for the Travis Walton Abduction, that's quite interesting.

EDIT: Also, I think 99.9% of people can agree other intelligent life exists within our universe, the real debate is whether or not they visit Earth.

[edit on 1/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viper2
I really wonder if most of the skeptics out there are simply just people who haven't read much information or seen many documentaries regarding UFOs and ETs. And maybe because of this when the hear the word "UFO" or "ET" they immediately think it's fake like Santa Claus or Leprechauns.

For example, how many skeptics out there have really looked into all the evidence and testimonies out there about Roswell? How many of them have read about the Drake Equation? How many of them have read about the WOW Signal? How many of them have read about the Travis Walton Abduction? If they did read about all these things, would they really be that skeptical?

Makes you think.

Viper2.....

I have read about, researched, discussed, etc... this topic of UFO's extensively since I was a young child.

Because I do my best to apply critical thinking to this vexed topic…..

I generally get labeled as a skeptic on ATS, despite the fact I am not not a “non believer”, shown by the fact I have posted UFO threads pertaining to videos of objects that still remain unidentified after lengthy discussion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What’s my point?

My point is…..

These “skeptic” labels are:

- Used without thought & therefore…..

- Contribute nothing to the discussion & therefore…..

- Are useless.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Yeah, and most non-religious people or athiests are simply people who just haven't read the bible.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Viper2

I feel qualified to answer this, as a well-read skeptic.

I want to believe, but my belief does not come cheaply or easily. I accept that there are intelligent life-forms out in our universe and that they may have come to Earth at some point and may be coming here still. Certainly looking through our history there are events that could be explained as visitations by entities external to ourselves...and it isn't really all that far-fetched. However, separating those tiny truths from the chaff of other people's dogma regarding UFOs isn't as easy as it sounds.

Because people lie. All the time. For profit, for attention, for fun...and one lie from one person can create hundreds in their wake. Like a school-girl falling ill and then her friends following suit in a wave of well-documented hysterical illness. It is for this reason that I don't jump to believe when someone professes contact with an alien intelligence or technology. People lie.

I have never witnessed a UFO in my life. Every potential UFO turned out to be a plane or some other celestial event that I misunderstood, which brings me to my second point. Humans are adept at ascribing supernatural and mystical attributes to things that they do not truly understand.

That is not to say that the phenomenon does not exist, but for me to believe it, the burden of proof must be met. I know you may be thinking, 'how much more proof do you need than X or X?' but eyewitness accounts and isolated testimonies of alien technologies and contacts are all well and good until examined closely.

I ignore most abduction stories for one reason alone: They all seem to ascribe human motives to what are most likely very advanced and non-humanlike things. It is much like claiming that there is an intelligent creator of the vast universe and then saying that It cares who I have sex with or what I eat. I don't buy either assertion.

This may seem rambling to you, but it's what I can provide in way of an answer so late at night.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Viper2

So if i read the book of mormon how can i deny it?

So if i read the koran how can i deny it?

So if i read the bible how can i deny it?

Kind of illogical thinking to me mate. Maybe because we have done research we deny it? I know that is the case for me.

Cheers

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
"Skeptic" is usually a person with more than two braincells and some education.

The idiocy of blindly believing is beyond me.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
The idiocy of blindly believing is beyond me.

Mind if I quote you in my signature for a while?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I am a skeptic and I do a ton of NWO, UFO, and other types of strange and fun research.

I certainly hope that those red, blue and yellow fema lists aren't real because I don't try and hide my research or opinions and I'm sure youtube has a whole string of records of me looking at CIA coc aine trafficking stuff and aliens and NWO and Federal Reserve conspiracy.

I feel like I'm about as informed as I could expect to be at my age and with my technological resources and personal contacts but am very frustrated with the idea that I don't know jack, which is true.

The pursuit of knowledge requires fair analysis and the constant lookout for confirmation bias in my views. I try to make sure that I'm not just seeing what I want to see or what I'm afraid of or what others are telling me to see.

It's a long arduous journey but I imagine I'm a better person for it.

I really disagree with the idea that skeptics are just less informed, I don't assume that I'm right to be skeptical about alien UFO and Out of Body Experiences, they could definitely be true. I want them to be true and it's for that reason that I have to take extra care. As of yet I have only seen testimony and unverifiable evidence for UFO, my biggest issue with the UFO phenomenon is the idea that the government would even be capable of hiding such a thing and the fact that most UFO cases seemed to start when the world began to see human flight vehicles.

We have ancient reference to things like spirals and possible craft but look at how the Mayans initially witnessed the ships coming to their shore, "rocking mountains on the waves." They did not know what they saw until it arrived, and even then made extreme assumptions.

I have to be vigilant so I don't let others tell me what to believe, I look at things and determine whether or not I believe them based on my own analysis.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by sremmos]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Viper2

I reckon you are probably right. I've got a collection of books on all sorts of subjects and approximately 50 that specifically relate to UFO's, Abductions and Ancient Astronauts. If I lent those books out and said go and read them then get back to me and while you are at it watch these umpteen documentaries and they STILL adamantly denied any of it was real I'd have to conclude they were missing some brain cells . These days I won't take seriously the opinion of anyone who isn't extremely well read on the subject . You wouldn't debate physics theories with a child and by the same token there's no weight in a debate about this phenomena with someone who isn't well informed. Informed skepticism is another matter but you don't see alot of that, it's mostly just people making snidey comments which betrays their lack of study on the subject .

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Yeah im in the same boat as maybe maybe not.

I really wonder if most of the skeptics out there are simply just people who haven't read much information or seen many documentaries regarding UFOs and ETs.

Quite the opposite. Many "skeptics" have researched a LOT into UFOs and ETs. The difference is they do not believe in everything they read about UFOs and ETs.

And maybe because of this when the hear the word "UFO" or "ET" they immediately think it's fake like Santa Claus or Leprechauns.

Well i admit i use the leprachauns and unicorn remoarks at times but normally it is because of the bad reasoning that is used.
"You can't PROOOOOOVVVVEEEE it is not an alien so there fore it is"
yeah but it could be a unicorn then.

For example, how many skeptics out there have really looked into all the evidence and testimonies out there about Roswell?

Come on now it is 2010 what else could possibly be said about rowell at this point? I know i have heard about all there is to hear.

How many of them have read about the Drake Equation?

The drak equation is not some huge subject that would take a lot of reading time.

I think the word skeptic get thrown around a lot for no reason
you should read that.
and read this thread

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
no, they're just people who are convinced there is nothing else outside of what they're learned in college and all theories are correct. there is no what if's, if they have spoken then it is law.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Could you then please point out these books which contain this undeniable evidence of such events? I hope it has nothing to do with astrology.

UFOs, as a phenomenon most surely exist. Aliens and abductions.. there's very little evidence for those. I always wonder, what is it exactly that makes people believe in complete fairytales?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

I always wonder, what is it exactly that makes people believe in complete fairytales?

hi Tryptych, theres has been research carried out into why poeple believe in all manner of things like religion, ghosts, psychic ability, witchcraft etc I'll try find the research later dont have time just now.

It goes soemthing like this : theres an area of our brain connected to the feelings of pleasure they did brain scans on various people while telling them diffirent things, when people who belived in religion or other subjects started hearing things which corresponded with their beleifs this area of the brain became active. When they hear these thing it gives them pleasure and when that happens they were far more likely to accept those things as true.

short answer is beleiving in these things makes them feel good. Or perhaps more accurately - becuase the idea of these things being true gives them pleasure they are likely to accept those things as being true.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by yeti101]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I do not think you can lump skeptics all together in one group. There are several varieties.

There are the skeptics who for religious reasons are blinded to anything which does not fit their belief system.

There are the skeptics like my brother for instance who believes in nothing that he cannot see, hear, feel or touch.

There are the skeptics who will never reveal their true beliefs but are people who argue for the sake of argument, and will take the other side just to throw fire on the debate. ATS is loaded with those, and that is the unfortunate downside of boards like this, they provide a forum for them to entertain themselves at the expense of others.

I think also there are the skeptics whose entire world will collapse around them when the truth they have denied in the face of evidence strong enough to send a whole mess of people to the gallows slaps them in the face. They are the ones I will feel sorry for when someone or some government of sufficient authority finally makes a blanket revelation of the alien presence. The true non-believers among this group will be the ones jumping out of windows and having nervous breakdowns.

And finally there are the "clueless", who will simply say "Cool man" and go on about their lives.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Good point, and partly true, but..

The universe really IS stranger than we can imagine. There're a lot of things we really do not yet understand. Science has shown that there really are parallel dimensions and other weird things. Sometimes, if we can't see it (yet) it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I think it's healthy to keep an very open mind. If one went into history, spouting out modern theories, they would probably burn him/her alive. It's a cliche, but it's true.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm always hunting new UFO docs and info. Even if some think that Greer is a fraud himself, I though the interviews in the disclosure project conference we're a real eye-opener. Assuming that all those grown men aren't pulling some kind of a hoax.

[edit on 1/5/2010 by Tryptych]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Cosmicpixie.....

The problem is, many books are simply full of rubbish.

Before my wife recently threatened to take to my office with a flame thrower, my book collection numbered in the thousands. I have read countless books on these sorts of topics. When I was a kid, I used to save every single cent I had & spend it on the latest UFO book.

And you know what?

Most of it's rubbish.

Von Daniken was a classic con man.....his books simply got worse & worse until I got to book 5 or 6 & he started climbing into wells to "portals" wherein he supposeldy travelled through time & space to observe ancient aliens, etc...

Yup.....I've read a lot of BS.

Presently I'm re-reading 2 interesting books:

- Beyond Top Secret (Timothy Good)

- The Oz Files (Bill Chalker)

Those books are OK & contain very interesting info, albeit one still has to be discerning about what one is reading.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

And maybe because of this when the hear the word "UFO" or "ET" they immediately think it's fake like Santa Claus or Leprechauns.

When "Santa Claus" and "Leprechauns" are referenced, they are not a comparison to the reality of such creatures but the ability to prove they exist. When an unexplained sighting is declared to be an alien due to it being unexplained, the comparison is apt. You know more know it is an alien than you do it to be Santa Claus or fairies.

For example, how many skeptics out there have really looked into all the How many of them have read about the Drake Equation? How many of them have read about the WOW Signal?

Three times in your post you conflate a disbelief with alien visitation with a disbelief in aliens. The two are not one-in-the-same. Many skeptics of UFOs are adamant that we are not alone; see Shostak, Sagan and Hawking.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Viper2

I would say that it's actually the opposite.

Most Die-hard believers who believe every grainy youtube video and every Billy Meier picture, are the ones who haven't researched Ufology properly.

I guarantee you that there is not one skeptic on this site who absolutely and totally disregards the possibility of UFO's and/or Extraterrestrials.
Most become more skeptical in nature After doing the research.
Many start out as gullible and naive and are caught up in it all and believed as kids... and then through their life realise that there is just, as yet, no conclusive proof, no absolute undeniable, cold-hard evidence, ie: A craft, A dead body.... that we actually have... or have seen ourselves.

I myself would probably be called, on this site anyway, a skeptic, but I believe as much as the next person... I'm just not gullible to believe every bit of rubbish that comes out.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I really wonder if most of the skeptics out there are simply just people who haven't read much information or seen many documentaries regarding UFOs and ETs.
I can only speak for myself, obviously, and although I haven't read as much as I would like I have been reading about and following all the UFO cases I can since the 1970s.

Why do you say that Leprechauns are fake? Are you Leprechaun sceptic?

When I hear the word "UFO" I think of it in the real sense of the word, meaning that an unidentified flying object was seen. As unidentified doesn't mean extraterrestrial I do not jump to the conclusion that it's not from the planet.

Yes.

You see, scepticism is not a reaction against what we do not like, it's a way of thinking that can (and should) be applied to all information we get, either from people that we do not know and that may have some hidden (or not so hidden) motives or from ourselves.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join