It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill to Curb 'Chauvanism' in Ethnic Studies Programs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill to Curb 'Chauvanism' in Ethnic Studies Programs

www.foxnews.com

After making national headlines for a new law on illegal immigrants, the Arizona Legislature passed a bill Thursday that would ban ethnic studies programs in the state that critics say currently advocate separatism and racial preferences.

[State official Tom Horne said:] "...we are all individuals, not exemplars of whatever ethnic groups we were born into. Ethnic studies programs teach the opposite, and are designed to promote ethnic chauvinism."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The move is sure to be controversial, coming so soon after the all the feather-ruffling related to Arazona's recent illegal immigration laws. The bill would allow certain types of ethnic-related education(such as federally-regulated education for Native Americans, and education about genocide, etc.).

It seems primarily aimed at programs Horne and others believe undermine the principle of national unity, such as by encouraging "Latinos to rise up and create a new territory out of the southwestern region of the United States" or otherwise putting ethnic over national identity. Horne cites Martin Luther King's famous injunction to judge people based on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

I don't know enough about what is being taught to whom in Arazona schools to comment in detal, but I do think American students should be taught to think of themselves as Americans first and memebrs of their ethnicity second, whaterver the case. I also imagine the bill will result in a lot of "grey area" cases that are difficult to resolve easily.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/30/10 by silent thunder]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

"Traditionally, the American public school system has brought together students from different backgrounds and taught them to be Americans and to treat each other as individuals, and not on the basis of their ethnic backgrounds," Horne said. "This is consistent with the fundamental American value that we are all individuals, not exemplars of whatever ethnic groups we were born into. Ethnic studies programs teach the opposite, and are designed to promote ethnic chauvinism."

Horne began fighting in 2007 against the Tucson Unified School District's program, which he said defied Martin Luther King's call to judge a person by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. Horne claimed the ethnic studies program encourages "ethnic chauvanism," promotes Latinos to rise up and create a new territory out of the southwestern region of the United States and tries to intimidate conservative teachers in the school system.

Same source

Again I can't stress it enough, way to step up to the plate Arizona. You are model state for the rest of the union to look up to.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

While I never went to school here in Arizona, I've had 2 daughters that did and do, and I've never gotten a bad impression of Tom Horne. And I certainly don't now.

I have to say, I really like what I'm seeing out of the leaders here in Az. right now.

For leaders to impress ME, that says alot.

Peace

top topics

join