It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat Americans pose a threat to national security, generals say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Fat Americans pose a threat to national security, generals say

www .theaustralian.com.au

INCREASING rates of obesity among young Americans could undermine the future of the US military, with potential recruits increasingly too fat to serve, two retired generals said today.
"Obesity rates threaten the overall health of America and the future strength of our military," generals John Shalikashvili and Hugh Shelton, both former chairs of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, wrote in a commentary.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Absolutely hilarious! I was hoping it would be about treating all fat people as terrorists but lunacy the lunacy doesn't go that far.

Do you blame parents, culture, regulations or corporations for the obesity? Personally I think it is a mixture of all three and that the cultural change of food from a means of survival to a hedonistic pleasure has caused this as much as anything else.

Look at the bright side though, more fat people = less people fighting..

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
sounds like a re-hash of this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I blame what they put in our foods. an apple a day no longer keeps the Dr. away but it sure may make you need to see one more often with not only the chemicals spayed on it but the genetic tampering. If they would leave our food alone this would not be happening.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Obesity could prove to be a real concern in a survival situation. Check out this woman's concerns about this issue here on ATS:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
maybe we need to bring back the draft so we can get the fit, young men that we need. or maybe we need to stop going to war where none is needed. either is fine with me, and when I was a kid in the 70's I was sure there be some war that me and all my friends would be drafted into, people born after 1980 never knew that feeling

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan

Absolutely hilarious! I was hoping it would be about treating all fat people as terrorists but lunacy the lunacy doesn't go that far.

Do you blame parents, culture, regulations or corporations for the obesity? Personally I think it is a mixture of all three and that the cultural change of food from a means of survival to a hedonistic pleasure has caused this as much as anything else.

Look at the bright side though, more fat people = less people fighting..

Hm, I thought illegals would get blamed.

Honestly? Go sit in a starbucks for awhile. You will see what is making folks fat pretty quick-Overconsumption. People consume a lot of empty calories. Lots of soda, sugary junk snacks, fast food. People need to cook at home, with real ingredients and not out of a box. Most people my age that I know can't cook much at all. It's kinda scary. I'm been cooking since i was tall enough to reach the stove as it was one of the chores mandated to the kids in our family. Cooking, cleaning, etc. Crap, most of the kids I grew up with didn't even have to do chores....

Ease of access has bred carelessness.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here's an interesting post regarding the world's fattest countries
(sad as that sounds):

www.forbes.com...

top topics

join