It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levin: SWAT Team Response To Oil Spill Is Government Takeover Plot

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I know i may be running over old ground here but here i think is an important question(s)
How much oil is left in the oil field?
Will it empty fully if not stopped?
What are the chances that there may be an earthquake?
the sea water will replace the oil in the oil field wont it?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
for crying out loud people

they are NOT sending a SWAT team [ as in paramilitary unit ]

they are sending a " swat team " of inspectors

this basic research took seconds to uncovere thge REAL story

so why is ATS listinening to idiots who are purposley spewing disinfo ?

edit to add :

Federal regulators sent a SWAT team of inspectors into the Gulf of Mexico area to ensure compliance with safety rules on deep water drilling rigs.

source

there - the REAL quote from a bona fide news outlet - not the paranoid fantasies of people claiming military takeover

[edit on 30-4-2010 by ignorant_ape]

So what is it, SWAT as in the oil clean-up company, or SWAT, like police? Both are capitalized as each letter stands for a word.

I think they are purposefully making that confusing, as conditioning.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I do think it rather odd that this oil spill has simply been watched as it spreads towards the shore. The article the other day said "The military is considering getting involved..."

Why all the delay? The oil spill has not done anything to lead people to believe it is subsiding or under control, in fact just the opposite.

I hate to say this, since I am not trying to sensationalize anything, however, I feel like I'm watching the Katrina situation all over again. They simply keep reporting about how bad, how dangerous, and how quickly the damage is spreading..... all the while our Federal Government just sits back and does nothing.

I just don't get it.

Now, much like Katrina, the crisis point is upon us and suddenly the government decides to spring into action.

Can anybody explain why it would reasonably take so long to send assistance to our own coastline?

Especially considering we can get our military to assist in a potential pirate takeover of a ship that's not even ours in minutes.....

Had this been another country's oil rig, we would have been out there within hours of it happening. To assess if nothing else...

I just can't help but feel as if there is a reason for all of the sitting, waiting, and merely watching.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think the reason for the Canadian company is that they have experience in this situation.
Wasnt there a spill up on the coast of Canada a few years back? Im sure ive read that some-where.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
reply to post by firsttimecaller

Yeah I am over processing things. I have a friend who ws on that rigs Stand By Vessel. He told me a few hours before the Fire they had a small explosion on the rig. So far that is the only source I have on that so I haven't ran with it yet.

Also Look at the Federal Response or lack there of. The NAVY has tons of assets for spills. Just Today they are being dispatched to Assist.

Looks like this could be Obama's Katrina.

The people at CNN news must have read these posts because that's exactly the title of there headline.

But I talked with a person at work Friday and she said her father was on an oil rig, and said that the one thing the drillers are most afraid of is a blowout. And those happened before...

So far there is more evidence that it's an accident. We have to wait and observe if the scale tips the other way when more news is coming out.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFANWhy use them?
What are Boots on the Ground going to do?
What experence do the NG have at cleaning up Oil Spills?

So many Questions ...

I can See using LA ANG air assets to spread dispersants other than that its the Coast Guards job.

You are not realizing how many people are headed down there to help, nor how much land has to be covered. This is not like going to the beach along Florida with its relatively straight coastline. There are thousands of paths for this oil to take and they are going to need people to direct traffic, setup road barriers, and provide support while all of these people are streaming in. I doubt the local police can handle it.

---

As for these swat teams, thanks Ignorant_Ape. That original piece doesn't seem to be getting much attention when the alternative is way more scandalous.

The word could have been swarm, posse, mob or legion, too. Then people would have been worried about nanoparticles flying in the air, gangs, mafia takeovers, or the Antichrist sending his followers, respectively. It's not social conditioning, it's called an adjective.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

No disrespect intended at all to you personally OP but...

...While driving around last night I was listening to Michael Savage. Basically everything in your first few posts was subject at the time. He said many of the same things you said and raised many of the same questions you raised. The problem I had with it - aside from being Savage himself - is that he kept quoting an article about sabotage that lead him to this path of discovery. The author of that article he kept going back to was.....

Sorcha Faal.

Just kind of made the entire show vanish from my mind when it all came to rest on one named source and it was a known hoaxer.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
What else can be done other than burning off the Oil or dumping more of that disspersal (s.p?) powder..?
A lot of the stuff I keep reading about is related to the wet lands and nature reserves, and the implications on the wild life.

Anyway, this points out a basic fatal flaw in sea drilling.
When the SHTF, it really does make a mess.
And Oil companys should invest much more on decontamination/safty procedures for sea drilling, they probably do their basic risk assesments, but dont have the efficient means to gain control of the spill.
Look at the mini-subs their tryed using to block the leak. Untested.
You think youd have all situations coverd.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Edit- double post.
Doh!

[edit on 1/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
I think the reason for the Canadian company is that they have experience in this situation.
Wasnt there a spill up on the coast of Canada a few years back? Im sure ive read that some-where.

Well They are not using the Canadaidan Company Known As SWAT.

The Adminastration Sent a SWAT Team of " Inspectors " To start shutting down all drilling Operations until the Cause of Explosion, Fire and Spill.

That info Came from a Sr. VP at a large oil company that personally knows a friend of mine.

Also guess what .... That SWAT team of "Inspectors" came Armed. All of the Oil Companies have been warned to keep this quiet that is why I won't name the Oil Company as of yet.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Well They are not using the Canadaidan Company Known As SWAT.

The Adminastration Sent a SWAT Team of " Inspectors " To start shutting down all drilling Operations until the Cause of Explosion, Fire and Spill.

That info Came from a Sr. VP at a large oil company that personally knows a friend of mine.

Funny, I head it from this guy's sister's dog's former owner's neighbor's aunt.

Also guess what .... That SWAT team of "Inspectors" came Armed. All of the Oil Companies have been warned to keep this quiet that is why I won't name the Oil Company as of yet.

Why would they keep quiet? What was the warning?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Gov. Barbour issues State of Emergency for MS Gulf Coast

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Governor Haley Barbour issued a State of Emergency for the Mississippi Gulf Coast Friday in response to the oil spill moving toward the state's coastline. He also ordered the Mississippi National Guard to aid local officials with emergency response.

"I have issued a State of Emergency to help local governments and state agencies work together more efficiently as they respond to this massive oil spill," Governor Barbour said. "The Departments of Environmental Quality and Marine Resources continue to work with BP and the federal government to monitor our coastline."

Barbour was in Gulfport Friday night to update the media on the state's response to the growing area of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. Just before the news conference, the governor flew over the Gulf and said he had a hard time spotting oil close to Mississippi's shoreline. He said most of what's headed in right now is an oily sheen.

Barbour said he is hopeful that the problem facing Mississippi is manageable, and stressed repeatedly that the "responsible parties" are complying with everything they've been asked to do to help in the oil containment and cleanup.

Source: www.wlox.com...

wlox.images.worldnow.com...

MSNG has been Activated.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Keeping us informed. Nice work.
Ask them about the report that the crude is more asphaltic than first thought.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just found this.

WASHINGTON — Two Air Force planes will spray chemicals to help break up the Gulf Coast oil spill, Pentagon officials said Friday as they considered what more the military could do to assist.

www.google.com...

Why is the military being used, when there are many private companies that do this stuff? And what chemicals are they using? What a lame piece of reporting from the AP.

If the military is involved, they will be experimenting, a guarantee it.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911stinks
Why is the military being used, when there are many private companies that do this stuff?

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon has approved the use of two Air Force planes to dump chemicals on the oil spill threatening the Gulf Coast. Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said Friday that Defense Secretary Robert Gates approved the operation by two C-130 Hercules cargo planes. The planes were sent from Ohio to Mississippi Thursday to await orders. A number of civilian planes have already been doing the same job — using chemicals to try to break up the oil.

And what chemicals are they using? What a lame piece of reporting from the AP.

There are three main types of dispersants:

* Type 1 dispersants are based on hydrocarbon solvents with between 15% to 25% surfactant. They are sprayed neat onto the oil as pre-dilution with sea water renders them ineffective. Typical dose rates are between 1:1 and 1:3 (dispersant : oil).
* Type 2 dispersants are dilutable concentrate dispersants which are alcohol or glycol (i.e. oxygenated) solvent based with a higher surfactant concentration. Dilution is normally 1:10 with sea water.
* Type 3 dispersants are also concentrate dispersants with a similar formulation to type 2 products. However, they are designed to be used neat and typical dose rates are between 1:5 and 1:30 (neat dispersant : oil).

Type 1 and 2 dispersants require thorough mixing with the oil after application to produce satisfactory dispersion. With type 3 products, the natural movement of the sea is usually sufficient to achieve this. The lower application rates required with concentrates mean that types 2 and 3 have largely superseded type 1 dispersants for application at sea.

If the military is involved, they will be experimenting, a guarantee it.

The Navy said Thursday that some of equipment had already begun arriving in Gulfport, Miss. It was 66,000 feet of inflatable boom and seven skimming systems. Fifty contractors who use the equipment also were being sent.

The help is being provided under an existing pollution cleanup agreement from the 1980s between the Navy and Coast Guard, officials said. Booms are commonly used as a floating barrier or fence to control the movement of spills in bodies of water.

The Navy also was making facilities available for use as staging areas. In addition to the base in Gulfport, the Pensacola Naval Air Station in Florida was being used as a staging area for more booms, recovery barges, tractor trailers, pumps and other related equipment used by Coast Guard contractors, Lt. Myers Vasquez, a Navy spokesman, said.

[edit on 1/5/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yeah The military is planning on experminting. I just heard on WWL 870 AM that they are planning on using expermintal GMO's to try to break up the oil in the marsh next week.

So I started researching it.

Biotechnology in treating petroleum sludge and oil spills -

Oil sludge, normally discharged into the sea from petroleum refineries, contains toxic compounds that are a major threat to the marine ecology. All forms of aquatic life are adversely affected, and contaminated fish, when eaten by humans, present a serious health hazard.

Biotechnology, however, has shown that particular species of bacteria and fungi, normally found in soil, can protect the marine environment by breaking down various types of hydrocarbons, the main component of petroleum. To be effective in cleaning up marine oil spills, however, micro-organisms must be able to withstand the marine environment _ for example they need to survive in high salt concentrations and to grow at low temperatures.

It may be necessary to use some of the techniques of modern biotechnology to introduce these characteristics into the appropriate oil-eating micro-organisms.

Following points to be noted in relation to oil spills:

* Oil spills can be extremely harmful to the environment and need to be cleaned up in efficient, cheap ways.

* Certain marine microorganisms can break down complex hydrocarbons for energy, and in the process can clean up spilled oil in a natural manner.

* These bacteria are structure specific, making it hard for one microorganism to clean up a mix of oil.

* A genetically modified organism that can break down multiple compounds could be used to clean spills very efficiently.

* A bacterium like Alcanivorax borkumensis could provide the base for such an organism.

* This GMO could be created by inserting the gene that codes for different hydrocarbon breakdown into Alcanivorax through a plasmid and then tested for efficiency.

knol.google.com...#

I also found this:

B. Possible solution to Oil Spills (Biotechnological way) –

* Certain marine microorganisms have the unique ability to break down hydrocarbons to access energy stored in bonds; they are capable of inserting an oxygen atom into hydrocarbon to form a degradable alcohol or carboxylic acid.

* First tested on a large scale to some success in the Exxon-Valdez spill in 1989.

* Microorganisms are especially good at cleaning up last stages of an oil spill, attacking persistent compounds that other techniques failed to break down.

C. The problems that plague oil spill bioremediation through microorganisms -

* Oil spills involve many different compounds with different chemical structures, but biodegrading bacteria are usually specific to one compound.

* Biodegrading bacteria use the oil compounds as energy sources, so if the concentration of the compounds is low then the bacteria are unable to produce enzymes that break the compounds down.

* Certain compounds are promptly absorbed by the soil or water around the spill, diluting them to a concentration where they can no longer function as the energy sources of the biodegrading bacteria.

* A spill could contain other compounds that harm the biodegrading bacteria instead of providing energy.

D. The Question –

Is it possible to genetically modify a microorganism to make it digest multiple compounds that can appear in an oil spill?

E. What’s been done so far?

* Cloning vectors that specialize in environmental applications are being developed to produce more microorganisms at the site of the spill.

* Rate limiting enzyme reactions can prevent maximum efficiency of hydrocarbon breakdown, so mechanisms to overcome these limits have been developed.

* Some genes that code for multifunctional activity in microorganisms have been discovered.

* Extremophiles that can withstand high temperatures, changes in pH, and a decrease in nutrients like oxygen have been discovered/developed.

* Microorganisms like Alcanivorax borkumensis which specify in aerobic decomposition of hydrocarbons have been discovered, providing a base organism to genetically modify.

F. What needs to be done?

* Identify the different marine microorganisms that break down hydrocarbons; many of these have already been identified since they reproduce rapidly near oil spills.

* Sequence identified microorganisms’ genomes, locate the genes that code for hydrocarbon breakdown and isolate these genes from the bacterial DNA.

* Insert these genes into a base microorganism (in this case, Alcanivorax) utilizing a DNA vector (plasmid) and test GMO on small sample of mixed oils.

* If GMO is able to degrade multiple hydrocarbons, success!

saferenvironment.wordpress.com...

I bet the Feds are going to use this spill as a GMO test bed. Lets wait and see.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A timeline of Events:

April 20 (10 p.m.): Oil rig explosion. An April 21 ABCNews.com article reported, "An overnight explosion in the Gulf of Mexico rocked the Deepwater Horizon oil rig off the Louisiana coast, sending spectacular bursts of flame into the sky. The fires were still raging today." The U.S. Coast Guard's National Oil and Hazardous Substances Response System assigns primary responsibility for cleaning up oil spills to the spiller as the responsible party.

April 21: Deputy Secretary of Interior, Coast Guard dispatched to region. An April 22 White House statement noted that following a briefing with President Obama, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Thad Allen, Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, EPA Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe, and FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate, "Deputy Secretary of the Interior David Hayes was dispatched to the region yesterday to assist with coordination and response." The Coast Guard announced that four units were responding to the fire, with additional units en route.

Search and rescue efforts begin for 11 missing. An initial focus of the response was the search for 11 missing crewmembers. The search was called off April 23.
BP confirms U.S. Coast Guard was "leading the emergency response" In an April 21 press release, British Petroleum stated that it was "working closely with Transocean and the U.S. Coast Guard, which is leading the emergency response, and had been offering its help - including logistical support."
CNN.com: "The U.S. Coast Guard launched a major search effort." An April 22 CNN.com article reported:
The U.S. Coast Guard launched a major search effort Wednesday for 11 people missing after a "catastrophic" explosion aboard an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico engulfed the drilling platform in flames.

Another 17 people were injured -- three critically -- in the blast aboard the Deepwater Horizon, which occurred about 10 p.m. Tuesday. The rig was about 52 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana, said Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry. As of late afternoon Wednesday as many as six firefighting vessels were working to contain the massive fire caused by the explosion.

"It obviously was a catastrophic event," O'Berry said.

April 23: Coast Guard "focused on mitigating the impact of the product currently in the water." On April 23, the Coast Guard stated:

The Department of the Interior, MMS [the U.S. Minerals Management Service], and the Coast Guard continue to support the efforts of the responsible parties to secure all potential sources of pollution. Both federal agencies have technical teams in place overseeing the proposals by BP and Transocean to completely secure the well. Until that has occurred and all parties are confident the risk of additional spill is removed, a high readiness posture to respond will remain in place.

Although the oil appears to have stopped flowing from the well head, Coast Guard, BP, Transocean, and MMS remain focused on mitigating the impact of the product currently in the water and preparing for a worst-case scenario in the event the seal does not hold. Visual feed from deployed remotely operated vehicles with sonar capability is continually monitored in an effort to look for any crude oil which still has the potential to emanate from the subsurface well.

"From what we have observed yesterday and through the night, we are not seeing any signs of release of crude in the subsurface area. However we remain in a 'ready to respond' mode and are working in a collaborative effort with BP, the responsible party, to prepare for a worst-case scenario," Landry stated early Friday morning.

April 25: Response team implements plan to contain oil spilling from source, weather delays cleanup.

Storms delay response efforts. An April 25 Associated Press article reported, "Stormy weather delayed weekend efforts to mop up leaking oil from a damaged well after the explosion and sinking of a massive rig off Louisiana's Gulf Coast that left 11 workers missing and presumed dead." AP further reported:
The bad weather began rolling in Friday as strong winds, clouds and rain interrupted efforts to contain the spill. Coast Guard Petty Officer John Edwards said he was uncertain when weather conditions would improve enough for cleanup to resume. So far, he said, crews have retrieved about 1,052 barrels of oily water.

Oil recovery and cleanup were to resume after adverse weather passed. On April 25, the unified command team responding to the spill stated:
The unified command is implementing intervention efforts in an attempt to contain the source of oil emanating from the wellhead at the Deepwater Horizon incident site Sunday.

The unified command has approved a plan that utilizes submersible remote operated vehicles in an effort to activate the blowout preventer on the sea floor and to stop the flow of oil that has been estimated at leaking up to 1,000 barrels/42,000 gallons a day.

Also, BP is mobilizing the DD3, a drilling rig that is expected to arrive Monday to prepare for relief well-drilling operations.

Additionally, the oil recovery and clean-up operations are expected to resume once adverse weather has passed. These efforts are part of the federally approved oil spill contingency plan that is in place to respond to environmental incidents.

Continued...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
April 26: Response crews "to resume skimming operations." On April 26, the response team stated, "Sunday, an aircrew from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service sighted five small whales during an over flight in the vicinity of the oil spill, which currently measures 48 miles by 39 miles at its widest points with varying levels of sheening, and is located 30 miles off the coast of Venice, La." The command team further stated, "Following adverse weather that went through the area, response crews are anticipated to resume skimming operations today," including 1,000 personnel, 10 offshore vessels, 7 skimming boats and more than 14,000 gallons of dispersant. At that point 48,384 gallons of oily water had been collected.

April 28: Federal officials realize spill was far more severe than BP led them to believe. An April 28 New York Times article reported, "Government officials said late Wednesday night that oil might be leaking from a well in the Gulf of Mexico at a rate five times that suggested by initial estimates." The Times further reported:

In a hastily called news conference, Rear Adm. Mary E. Landry of the Coast Guard said a scientist from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had concluded that oil is leaking at the rate of 5,000 barrels a day, not 1,000 as had been estimated. While emphasizing that the estimates are rough given that the leak is at 5,000 feet below the surface, Admiral Landry said the new estimate came from observations made in flights over the slick, studying the trajectory of the spill and other variables.

An April 30 Associated Press article reported, "For days, as an oil spill spread in the Gulf of Mexico, BP assured the government the plume was manageable, not catastrophic. Federal authorities were content to let the company handle the mess while keeping an eye on the operation." The article continued:

But then government scientists realized the leak was five times larger than they had been led to believe, and days of lulling statistics and reassuring words gave way Thursday to an all-hands-on-deck emergency response. Now questions are sure to be raised about a self-policing system that trusted a commercial operator to take care of its own mishap even as it grew into a menace imperiling Gulf Coast nature and livelihoods from Florida to Texas.

April 29: Napolitano declares spill "of national significance"; BP insists its "plan can handle this spill." On April 29, BP official Doug Suttles appeared on ABC's Good Morning America and stated, "At this point, I believe our plan can handle this spill, and that's what we're doing." That day, Napolitano declared the spill "of national significance," explaining that "we can now draw down assets from across the country, other coastal areas, by way of example; that we will have a centralized communications because the spill is now crossing different regions."

EPA preparing for oil to hit shore. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson commented at an April 29 press briefing: "[A]s the oil does hit the shoreline, EPA will provide support to assess the impacts on the coastal shoreline and play a key role in implementing the cleanup. As a daughter of the Gulf Coast, I know that it is our job to ensure people that we will be eyes and ears working with the states who have valuable and vital resources to monitor air, water and land quality." Jackson also stated that the EPA has deployed air-monitoring aircraft "that is gathering information on the impact of the controlled burn on air quality, both in the area of the burn, and, of course, further away."
AP: "Air Force sends planes to help with Gulf oil spill." An April 30 Associated Press article reported: "Two Air Force planes have been sent to Mississippi and were awaiting orders to start dumping chemicals on the oil spill threatening the coast, as the government worked Friday to determine how large a role the military should play in the cleanup."
WSJ: Navy joins Obama's "robust response." An April 30 Wall Street Journal article reported that "The U.S. Navy said it will send more than 12 additional miles of inflatable oil booms to the Gulf, as well as seven towable skimming systems and 50 contractors with experience operating the equipment." The article continued: "The Navy is making two large facilities available to the Coast Guard personnel and BP-employed contractors who are currently taking the lead in fighting the spill. Military officials said the booms and skimmers were being sent to a Naval construction base in Gulfport, Miss. The Navy also opened its air base in Pensacola, Fla., to the effort."

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Now if you look back at the news on April 23 you will see that the Rig sunk the fire was out and no Oil was leaking. That was the case for around 36 hours. What Event Caused it to leak after that time?

Things are not adding up!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Some people just don't read, as soon as I read your first post the truth hit me in the face.

That truth is "There is no conspiracy here" there is no S.W.A.T team going on the rig.... Only SWAT investigators who have nothing to do with S.W.A.T as in (special weapons and tactics) why the F would they send them on their? are you guys really that stupid.

These forums are getting worse....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join